Brion's role change within WMF

Brion Vibber-4
Quick update:

I've had a great experience working on our mobile apps, but it's time to
get back to core MediaWiki and help "clean my own house"... now that we've
got Mobile Apps fully staffed I'm leaving the mobile department and will be
reporting directly to Damon within WMF Engineering.

First -- huge thanks to Monte and Dan and Kristen and Dmitry and Bernd and
of course Tomasz!! and everybody else who's been awesome in Mobile Apps --
and also to the rest of the mobile team, who have become too many to list
in a concise email. :)

For the moment I'm going to get back up to speed with the Architecture
Committee and push at general MediaWiki issues. As we determine the fate of
committees and narrow down what are our priority projects, my focus may
narrow a to getting some particular things done over the next months.

A few general notes:

* Working in mobile apps reminded me how important our APIs are -- our
ability to make flexible interfaces that work in different form factors and
different technology stacks is dependent on maintaining a good API. This
needs work. :)

This doesn't just mean interacting with "api.php" -- we need clean
configuration, data, etc interfaces as well, especially if we want people
to contribute in ways other than raw text editing. There's a lot to clean
up...

* Mobile mobile mobile! I've heard some folks complain that while there's a
lot of talk about "mobile-first" and similar there aren't always concrete
explanations yet of what that means. I hope to bring some of the excitement
we've seen in Mobile about Wikidata, better queries, better visual/user
interaction design, and generally making things *work for users*.

* Breaking or working around the "PHP barrier" for third-party MediaWiki
users: I hope to get the question of services resolved one way or another
-- either by us officially dropping "shared PHP hosting" support or by
making sure we have "pure PHP" implementations of things that are required
to operate -- which is mostly dependent on having good interfaces and APIs
so that multiple implementations can be written and maintained compatibly...

* Future stuff -- new media types, narrow-field editing, natural language
queries? WHO KNOWS! I'll be researching more crazy stuff in my additional
time.

I'll see many of you at the Dev Summit soon enough -- don't be shy about
pestering me with concerns and ideas about priorities. :)

-- brion

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Siebrand Mazeland-2
This is fantastic news, although I fear Mobile may miss you at times. Enjoy
the (re)new(ed) area
 of work, Brion!

Siebrand

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quick update:
>
> I've had a great experience working on our mobile apps, but it's time to
> get back to core MediaWiki and help "clean my own house"... now that we've
> got Mobile Apps fully staffed I'm leaving the mobile department and will be
> reporting directly to Damon within WMF Engineering.
>
> First -- huge thanks to Monte and Dan and Kristen and Dmitry and Bernd and
> of course Tomasz!! and everybody else who's been awesome in Mobile Apps --
> and also to the rest of the mobile team, who have become too many to list
> in a concise email. :)
>

> For the moment I'm going to get back up to speed with the Architecture
> Committee and push at general MediaWiki issues. As we determine the fate of
> committees and narrow down what are our priority projects, my focus may
> narrow a to getting some particular things done over the next months.
>

> A few general notes:
>
> * Working in mobile apps reminded me how important our APIs are -- our
> ability to make flexible interfaces that work in different form factors and
> different technology stacks is dependent on maintaining a good API. This
> needs work. :)
>
> This doesn't just mean interacting with "api.php" -- we need clean
> configuration, data, etc interfaces as well, especially if we want people
> to contribute in ways other than raw text editing. There's a lot to clean
> up...
>
> * Mobile mobile mobile! I've heard some folks complain that while there's a
> lot of talk about "mobile-first" and similar there aren't always concrete
> explanations yet of what that means. I hope to bring some of the excitement
> we've seen in Mobile about Wikidata, better queries, better visual/user
> interaction design, and generally making things *work for users*.
>
> * Breaking or working around the "PHP barrier" for third-party MediaWiki
> users: I hope to get the question of services resolved one way or another
> -- either by us officially dropping "shared PHP hosting" support or by
> making sure we have "pure PHP" implementations of things that are required
> to operate -- which is mostly dependent on having good interfaces and APIs
> so that multiple implementations can be written and maintained
> compatibly...
>
> * Future stuff -- new media types, narrow-field editing, natural language
> queries? WHO KNOWS! I'll be researching more crazy stuff in my additional
> time.
>

> I'll see many of you at the Dev Summit soon enough -- don't be shy about
> pestering me with concerns and ideas about priorities. :)

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Dan Garry
On 20 January 2015 at 08:43, Siebrand Mazeland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is fantastic news, although I fear Mobile may miss you at times.

We absolutely will.

However, we are excited that Brion is placing himself somewhere where he
can continue to be our ally and push forward the infrastructure that
Mobile, like many of us, are dependent on to succeed.

Enjoy yourself, Brion!

Dan

--
Dan Garry
Associate Product Manager, Mobile Apps

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Daniel Kinzler
Am 20.01.2015 um 17:34 schrieb Brion Vibber:
> Quick update:
>
> I've had a great experience working on our mobile apps, but it's time to
> get back to core MediaWiki and help "clean my own house"... now that we've
> got Mobile Apps fully staffed I'm leaving the mobile department and will be
> reporting directly to Damon within WMF Engineering.

Hey Brion!

To me, as a member of the Architecture Committee and someone often frustrated
with the encrusted innards of MediaWiki, this is great news!

Or as you might say: Awesome!

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Tei-2
Haha..  great.

Wellcome back Brion.

I am just a lurker on this mail list, but your post are always  so full of
energy. I love if that energy is the energy of mediawiki.

I hope that energy inspire others to not just the day to day process but
the crazy things you mention.  I remember when the idea of a wiki (a
website any visitor can edit?!) was totally freak, alien to everyone, I
hope projects like MediaWiki still mantain a open door to things that can
freak us again.

ℱin del ℳensaje.

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Erik Moeller-4
Hooray! :-) You'll do great things, as always. Look forward to your
focused leadership in this area.

Erik
--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Gabriel Wicke-3
Brion,

I'm glad to have you back on the dark server side!

This is great news for our APIs and the technical evolution of our stack in
general.

Cheers!

Gabriel

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Am 20.01.2015 um 17:34 schrieb Brion Vibber:
> > Quick update:
> >
> > I've had a great experience working on our mobile apps, but it's time to
> > get back to core MediaWiki and help "clean my own house"... now that
> we've
> > got Mobile Apps fully staffed I'm leaving the mobile department and will
> be
> > reporting directly to Damon within WMF Engineering.
>
> Hey Brion!
>
> To me, as a member of the Architecture Committee and someone often
> frustrated
> with the encrusted innards of MediaWiki, this is great news!
>
> Or as you might say: Awesome!
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Greg Grossmeier-2
<quote name="Brion Vibber" date="2015-01-20" time="08:34:11 -0800">
> Quick update:
>
> I've had a great experience working on our mobile apps, but it's time to
> get back to core MediaWiki and help "clean my own house"... now that we've
> got Mobile Apps fully staffed I'm leaving the mobile department and will be
> reporting directly to Damon within WMF Engineering.

Great news Brion!

I'm excited about what your energy will bring (back) to this part of the
software stack.

And I'll remain reserved and not make fanboy comments; professionalism
and all.

Greg

PS: I remember seeing Brion at a Wikimania and only have the courage to
go up to him and say "You don't know me but I know you. Thanks for
everything you've done." Hadn't talked in-person again until I was
hired. </fanboy>

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Rob Lanphier-4
On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great news Brion!
>
> I'm excited about what your energy will bring (back) to this part of the
> software stack.
>
> And I'll remain reserved and not make fanboy comments; professionalism
> and all.

What he said ^

My getting involved in MediaWiki development was heavily influenced by
watching Brion's friendly and clear direction of the project.  Brion,
let me know how I can help!

Rob

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Antoine Musso-3
Le 20/01/2015 08:34, Brion Vibber a écrit :
> I've had a great experience working on our mobile apps, but it's time to
> get back to core MediaWiki and help "clean my own house"... now that we've
> got Mobile Apps fully staffed I'm leaving the mobile department and will be
> reporting directly to Damon within WMF Engineering.

Welcome "back" Brion, you were very missed :-]

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

S Page-3
On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Tei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> a open door to things that can freak us again.

^ world's greatest job title for Brion's business card

Robla wrote

> Brion,let me know how I can help!

Ditto.

Great news indeed.
--
=S Page  WMF Tech writer

Re: Brion's role change within WMF

Brian Wolff
On Jan 20, 2015 12:34 PM, "Brion Vibber" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quick update:
>
> I've had a great experience working on our mobile apps, but it's time to
> get back to core MediaWiki and help "clean my own house"... now that we've
> got Mobile Apps fully staffed I'm leaving the mobile department and will
be

> reporting directly to Damon within WMF Engineering.
>
> First -- huge thanks to Monte and Dan and Kristen and Dmitry and Bernd and
> of course Tomasz!! and everybody else who's been awesome in Mobile Apps --
> and also to the rest of the mobile team, who have become too many to list
> in a concise email. :)
>

> For the moment I'm going to get back up to speed with the Architecture
> Committee and push at general MediaWiki issues. As we determine the fate
of
> committees and narrow down what are our priority projects, my focus may
> narrow a to getting some particular things done over the next months.
>

> A few general notes:
>
> * Working in mobile apps reminded me how important our APIs are -- our
> ability to make flexible interfaces that work in different form factors
and
> different technology stacks is dependent on maintaining a good API. This
> needs work. :)
>
> This doesn't just mean interacting with "api.php" -- we need clean
> configuration, data, etc interfaces as well, especially if we want people
> to contribute in ways other than raw text editing. There's a lot to clean
> up...
>
> * Mobile mobile mobile! I've heard some folks complain that while there's
> lot of talk about "mobile-first" and similar there aren't always concrete
> explanations yet of what that means. I hope to bring some of the
excitement
> we've seen in Mobile about Wikidata, better queries, better visual/user
> interaction design, and generally making things *work for users*.
>
> * Breaking or working around the "PHP barrier" for third-party MediaWiki
> users: I hope to get the question of services resolved one way or another
> -- either by us officially dropping "shared PHP hosting" support or by
> making sure we have "pure PHP" implementations of things that are required
> to operate -- which is mostly dependent on having good interfaces and APIs
> so that multiple implementations can be written and maintained
compatibly...

> * Future stuff -- new media types, narrow-field editing, natural language
> queries? WHO KNOWS! I'll be researching more crazy stuff in my additional
> time.
>

> I'll see many of you at the Dev Summit soon enough -- don't be shy about
> pestering me with concerns and ideas about priorities. :)
>
> -- brion

Exciting times! Im sure this will result in many new great things for
MediaWiki.

--bawolff