Bugfix for diff engine & new Feature in testing

Bugfix for diff engine & new Feature in testing

Michael Schönitzer-2
Hi there,

The Technical Wishes Team of Wikimedia Germany is currently working on a
soon-to-be deployed major improvement of the diff view engine. [1]

It is now available on test wiki [2] and Mediawiki [3] and it would be
great if you could test it and tell us if you encounter any bugs. [4] The
deployment to all other wikis will hopefully happen in the near future.

While working on this, we also found an old bug in the diff engine:
Sometimes two paragraphs which are not related at all are considered a
changed paragraph: example [5]. We have fixed this bug now and it was
already deployed on all wikis by the end of October. [6] [7]

The bigger improvement of the diff view will be announced separately, once
the date for its deployment is fixed – expect it in a few weeks.

Regards,
Michael for the Technical Wishes Team

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes/Show_text_changes_when_moving_text_chunks
[2] http://test.wikipedia.org
[3] http://mediawiki.org
[5]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ImprovedDiff_-_Example_1_-_before2.png
[6] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/356582/,

Michael F. Schönitzer

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Re: Bugfix for diff engine & new Feature in testing

Sam Smith
On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Michael Schönitzer <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is now available on test wiki [2] and Mediawiki [3] and it would be
> great if you could test it and tell us if you encounter any bugs. [4] The
> deployment to all other wikis will hopefully happen in the near future.

o/ Michael,

Do you have a list of revisions that you're testing the diff view with on
testwiki and mediawikiwiki? I'd like to give this list to the Readers Web
QA'er, Anthony Borba, so he can take a quick pass at them using the Vector
and Minerva skins to see if there are any bugs that we might be able to
help out with.

Thanks to you and your team for your hard work,

-Sam

Re: Bugfix for diff engine & new Feature in testing

Birgit Müller
Hi Sam and Anthony,

thanks for the feedback and kind offer!

We have mainly tested on the beta cluster, so there is no list of revisions
taken from mediawiki or testwiki. Also please note that at the moment diffs
of old revisions are still cached so you would not see the new behaviour
for those until this is resolved (see:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T180043).

To test the new functionality, you can create new examples, e.g.:
https://test.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Test_page_
long&type=revision&diff=338480&oldid=323544

Some before/after examples from the beta cluster:
* move of text paragraphs with changes within paragraph (old version on deWP
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=779422017&oldid=772944792&title=Honeyguide>,
new version: example from beta cluster
<https://deployment.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/w/index.php?title=User%3AMichael_Sch%C3%B6nitzer_%28WMDE%29%2FHoneyguide&type=revision&diff=6867&oldid=6866>
)
* move of several images with text changes in the description (old version
<https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ginger_Rogers&curid=455683&diff=169305496&oldid=168523047>
on deWP, new version: example from beta cluster
<https://deployment.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/w/index.php?title=User%3AMichael_Sch%C3%B6nitzer_%28WMDE%29%2FRogers&type=revision&diff=6873&oldid=6872#movedpara_4_0_lhs>
)
* change of order and within paragraph (old version on deWP
<https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=169305386&oldid=169304779&title=Xandria&curid=458857>,
new version: example from beta cluster
<https://deployment.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/w/index.php?title=User%3AMichael_Sch%C3%B6nitzer_%28WMDE%29%2FXandria&type=revision&diff=6877&oldid=6876>
)

cheers*
Birgit

> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Michael Schönitzer <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It is now available on test wiki [2] and Mediawiki [3] and it would be
> > great if you could test it and tell us if you encounter any bugs. [4] The
> > deployment to all other wikis will hopefully happen in the near future.
> >

> o/ Michael,
>
> Do you have a list of revisions that you're testing the diff view with on
> testwiki and mediawikiwiki? I'd like to give this list to the Readers Web
> QA'er, Anthony Borba, so he can take a quick pass at them using the Vector
> and Minerva skins to see if there are any bugs that we might be able to
> help out with.
>
> Thanks to you and your team for your hard work,
>
> -Sam

Birgit Müller
Community Communications Manager
Software Development and Engineering