Quantcast

Building dynamic forms

Ahmed Osman
Hello Everyone,

I've been working with Semantic Forms for a few weeks and I've given a use
case that's become a bit difficult to build a form for.

What I'm doing is cataloging servers we have setup, I'm going to do it with
two forms. One to Add the server (I'll call it AddServer) and another to
add services/apps to it (I'll call it AddApp).

What I want to do is in the AddServer form add the services on it to a
property. Once the App page is created I would then use the AddApp form, in
this form it would have a list of services available (it will pull this
from the services property used in the AddServer form) in a drop-down.

That's about as far as I've gotten as the next part I haven't figured out.
What I want to do is then have a second drop-down named Servers which is
populated after I select a Service. This Servers property simply gives me a
list of servers which have that service on it (rather, it's defined on
their page in the services property).

Would anyone be able to recommend how to go about this? I found the follow
tip which appears to do what I want, but I'm having trouble sorting out how
it would work in my case.

http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Dynamic_defaults_for_Semantic_Forms

Thanks,

-Ahmed Osman

Re: Building dynamic forms

Yaron Koren-2
FYI, these two issues were resolved in IRC yesterday, as far as I know.

-Yaron

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Ahmed Osman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've been working with Semantic Forms for a few weeks and I've given a use
> case that's become a bit difficult to build a form for.
>
> What I'm doing is cataloging servers we have setup, I'm going to do it with
> two forms. One to Add the server (I'll call it AddServer) and another to
> add services/apps to it (I'll call it AddApp).
>
> What I want to do is in the AddServer form add the services on it to a
> property. Once the App page is created I would then use the AddApp form, in
> this form it would have a list of services available (it will pull this
> from the services property used in the AddServer form) in a drop-down.
>
> That's about as far as I've gotten as the next part I haven't figured out.
> What I want to do is then have a second drop-down named Servers which is
> populated after I select a Service. This Servers property simply gives me a
> list of servers which have that service on it (rather, it's defined on
> their page in the services property).
>

> Would anyone be able to recommend how to go about this? I found the follow
> tip which appears to do what I want, but I'm having trouble sorting out how
> it would work in my case.
>
> http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Dynamic_defaults_for_Semantic_Forms
>

> Thanks,
>

> -Ahmed Osman

Re: Building dynamic forms

Ahmed Osman
Yaron is correct, I caught him on IRC and he referred me to a feature added
in 2.4. For reference, here's the log from irc:

17:44 < Yaron> Ashex - you can pre-populate the "Service" field in the App
form, using the query string in #forminput or #formlink.
17:45 < Yaron> It would be something like "query
string=App[Service]={{PAGENAME}}".
17:46 < Ashex> Yeah, I've more or less gotten that sorted out.
17:46 < Yaron> Cool.
17:46 < Ashex> I'm just not sure how to populate the second drop-down
17:46 < Ashex> Since its contents depend on what I pick for the Service
17:46 < Yaron> For that one, the "values dependent on" parameter, added
recently in SF 2.4, might be helpful.
17:48 < Ashex> Is it documented somewhere?
17:48 < Ashex> Ah, there it is.
17:49 < Ashex> So, if I use that parameter. When I pick a Service in
Services, it will query for pages matching that service and load it in the
ServerName drop-down
17:49 < Yaron> Yeah, that's the hope, anyway. :)
17:50 < Ashex> Excellent, I'll grab 2.4 and try it out
17:50 < Ashex> Thanks for the advice :)
17:50 < Ashex> Amgine: thanks for poking Yaron :)
17:51 < Yaron> It would actually be great if that one worked for you - not
that many people have tried it out yet, so it's cool to hear about it in
action.

-Ahmed Osman