Building tools, services and datasets that respect deleted and suppressed revisions

Building tools, services and datasets that respect deleted and suppressed revisions

Yiqing Hua
Hello,

Lucas (cc'd) and I have been working on tools and corpora that transform wiki
revision dumps into structured conversations; as part of this, we want to
make sure any down-stream services and corpora that we develop respect the
deleted (and suppressed) revisions; namely that we remove any copies we have
of things deleted on Wikipedia.

For that we need a way to:
1. get all revisions IDs that were deleted or suppressed (or all non-deleted
and non-suppressed ones)
2. have a way to get new deletions or suppresions so that we can remove any
copies that we have.

What's the right infrastructure/APIs to use for this?

Thanks!

Re: Building tools, services and datasets that respect deleted and suppressed revisions

Pine W
Hi Research-l,
I'm bumping this question because apparently no one has answered yet, and I
think that it's a good question that should get an answer. I would like for
third-party researchers who are trying to align their work with Wikimedia
policies and practices in their research to get the support that they need
to make that happen. I have heard that WMF staff get requests for research
help on a regular basis, and the requests for assistance that are made on
the Analytics mailing list seem to be answered regularly, so I hope that
the same would happen on Research-l.

Thanks,
Pine

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 6:46 AM, Yiqing Hua <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Lucas (cc'd) and I have been working on tools and corpora that transform
> wiki
> revision dumps into structured conversations; as part of this, we want to
> make sure any down-stream services and corpora that we develop respect the
> deleted (and suppressed) revisions; namely that we remove any copies we
> have
> of things deleted on Wikipedia.
>
> For that we need a way to:
> 1. get all revisions IDs that were deleted or suppressed (or all
> non-deleted
> and non-suppressed ones)
> 2. have a way to get new deletions or suppresions so that we can remove any
> copies that we have.
>
> What's the right infrastructure/APIs to use for this?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Building tools, services and datasets that respect deleted and suppressed revisions

Leila Zia
Hi Pine, thanks for the ping. I meant to send an update email but forgot. :)

Yiqing: Patrick Earley and I discussed this with Lucas on Thursday.
Give us a little bit of time to figure this out, I know it's priority
for Patrick et al. There is no immediate pointer that we can think of
and it needs some iterations on our end.

Thanks,
Leila

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 8:21 PM Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Research-l,
> I'm bumping this question because apparently no one has answered yet, and I
> think that it's a good question that should get an answer. I would like for
> third-party researchers who are trying to align their work with Wikimedia
> policies and practices in their research to get the support that they need
> to make that happen. I have heard that WMF staff get requests for research
> help on a regular basis, and the requests for assistance that are made on
> the Analytics mailing list seem to be answered regularly, so I hope that
> the same would happen on Research-l.
>
> Thanks,
> Pine
>
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 6:46 AM, Yiqing Hua <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Lucas (cc'd) and I have been working on tools and corpora that transform
> > wiki
> > revision dumps into structured conversations; as part of this, we want to
> > make sure any down-stream services and corpora that we develop respect the
> > deleted (and suppressed) revisions; namely that we remove any copies we
> > have
> > of things deleted on Wikipedia.
> >
> > For that we need a way to:
> > 1. get all revisions IDs that were deleted or suppressed (or all
> > non-deleted
> > and non-suppressed ones)
> > 2. have a way to get new deletions or suppresions so that we can remove any
> > copies that we have.
> >
> > What's the right infrastructure/APIs to use for this?
> >
> > Thanks!

Re: Building tools, services and datasets that respect deleted and suppressed revisions

Pine W
Thank you, Leila and Patrick. :)

Pine