Building two sites using one wiki - how to manage similar (but different) content

Building two sites using one wiki - how to manage similar (but different) content

Evelyn Yoder
Greetings, all -

Continuing the learning process to master MediaWiki...if you remember
from last time, our goal is to create online support/help sites for
two software products. As of last week, we successfully created two
websites based on the same wiki content. Each site has a different
skin, logo and sidebar, and they share the same images and extensions.

Because the products are similar, most of the articles will be the
same. However, some of the articles need to have different content.
So, out of a total of 500 pages, maybe 30 need to change, depending on
which product is the focus.

I'm thinking I can use transclusion and parserfunctions to manage the
content for these "'special" pages, but I need to know if it is
ridiculous to attempt this?  And what about CategoryTree - it's a
great extension, but will parserfunctions also work to make the
Category assignments?

Can a custom namespace help in this instance? Is there another way to
go? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Best,
Evelyn

p.s. ... for now, I'm the sole writer, so having multiple users is not
an issue...

Re: Building two sites using one wiki - how to manage similar (but different) content

Brianna Laugher
2008/12/3 Evelyn Yoder <[hidden email]>

> Greetings, all -
>
> Continuing the learning process to master MediaWiki...if you remember
> from last time, our goal is to create online support/help sites for
> two software products. As of last week, we successfully created two
> websites based on the same wiki content. Each site has a different
> skin, logo and sidebar, and they share the same images and extensions.
>
> Because the products are similar, most of the articles will be the
> same. However, some of the articles need to have different content.
> So, out of a total of 500 pages, maybe 30 need to change, depending on
> which product is the focus.
>
> I'm thinking I can use transclusion and parserfunctions to manage the
> content for these "'special" pages, but I need to know if it is
> ridiculous to attempt this?  And what about CategoryTree - it's a
> great extension, but will parserfunctions also work to make the
> Category assignments?
>
> Can a custom namespace help in this instance? Is there another way to
> go? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi Evelyn,

You might be interesting in setting this option:

<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableScaryTranscluding>

It allows transcluding pages from other wikis (although then it says only
template pages, but you can put whatever content you want in a template page
anyway...and the talk page seems to indicate otherwise, anyway...).

Maybe you want a script to automatically create the 470 pages you want...

I don't think custom namespaces are relevant, and your question about parser
functions and CategoryTree is not clear. Maybe try rewording it?

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Building two sites using one wiki - how to manage similar (but different) content

Platonides
Evelyn Yoder wrote:

> Greetings, all -
>
> Continuing the learning process to master MediaWiki...if you remember
> from last time, our goal is to create online support/help sites for
> two software products. As of last week, we successfully created two
> websites based on the same wiki content. Each site has a different
> skin, logo and sidebar, and they share the same images and extensions.
>
> Because the products are similar, most of the articles will be the
> same. However, some of the articles need to have different content.
> So, out of a total of 500 pages, maybe 30 need to change, depending on
> which product is the focus.
>
> I'm thinking I can use transclusion and parserfunctions to manage the
> content for these "'special" pages, but I need to know if it is
> ridiculous to attempt this?

Yes, they can be used. No need even to use parserfunctions.
Page: This product
Content: {{Product {{PRODUCT}}

And set Product as a Magic Word depending on the wiki used ({{SITENAME}}
may already contain your product).

However, you'll need to use a different cache for each wiki (or disable
caching altogether) or you may see on wiki B content saved on wiki A
(with wiki A's version).

> And what about CategoryTree - it's a
> great extension, but will parserfunctions also work to make the
> Category assignments?

You can use parserfunctions to choose the category. But the category
assigment will be the same for both wikis (last save/purge wins). So I'd
recommend against it.

> Can a custom namespace help in this instance? Is there another way to
> go? Thanks in advance for your advice.

No. Custom namespaces are nor the solution for your problem. You can
have a different namespace for each product. But you can as well place
the product name in another part of the title.