Bulk upload on Commons

Steve Bennett-8
This is really a Commons question, but...why is so little effort made
to promote bulk upload tools like Commonist? I've wasted countless
hours struggling with the crappy web forms, when it's so easy to do
using the right tool. None of the upload pages make the slightest
mention of these tools. Is this by design or just not thought out?

Steve

Re: Bulk upload on Commons

Al Tally
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is really a Commons question, but...why is so little effort made
> to promote bulk upload tools like Commonist? I've wasted countless
> hours struggling with the crappy web forms, when it's so easy to do
> using the right tool. None of the upload pages make the slightest
> mention of these tools. Is this by design or just not thought out?
>
> Steve

This is why I prefer other sites to Commons to upload images to. Nowadays I
only upload stuff if I need it for an article elsewhere. I used the tool
once and it was useful.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)

Re: Bulk upload on Commons

Gwern Branwen
On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is really a Commons question, but...why is so little effort made
> to promote bulk upload tools like Commonist? I've wasted countless
> hours struggling with the crappy web forms, when it's so easy to do
> using the right tool. None of the upload pages make the slightest
> mention of these tools. Is this by design or just not thought out?
>
> Steve

As with most such things, it's surely the latter. But do we want to
encourage mass uploads? I thought people were already rather unhappy
with so much fair use and copyvios and poor quality uploads (these
were the cited reasons for not moving all non-fairuse on en to
Commons), and promotion of tools would necessarily encourage use by
non-savvy users...

--
gwern

Re: Bulk upload on Commons

Steve Bennett-8
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Gwern Branwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As with most such things, it's surely the latter. But do we want to
> encourage mass uploads? I thought people were already rather unhappy
> with so much fair use and copyvios and poor quality uploads (these
> were the cited reasons for not moving all non-fairuse on en to
> Commons), and promotion of tools would necessarily encourage use by
> non-savvy users...

If that's the case, then we have a huge problem. That's saying that we
want to build this massive free repository of images, but we can't
trust people to fill it up. Surely there are solutions, to allow us to
quickly detect and repel "bad" uploads, while assisting those who make
"good" uploads.

Steve