Bus from Airport to the Venue

Takashi OTA
Hi lists,

I recently noticed that registration has already been open,
as well as the buses from airports to Esino Lario.

If you're already booked your flights and you know your
flight number and arrival time, you can buy the tickets
for the buses.

My question is: my flight arrives 20:55 (of Jun 23rd, AZ419)
at Milano-Linate Airport, and is such late arrival expected to
be picked up by the bus to Esino Lario?
If not, I will (or have to) change my flight(s).

--Takashi U:Takot

Re: Bus from Airport to the Venue

Ellie Young
I believe the local organizing team will have some information on their FAQ soon about this and also on the transport page itself about possible times.

I would, however, strongly advise that you schedule your flights to arrive from morning until late afternoon.  The direct shuttle service that they will be offering from the 3 airports on June 21, 23 (and return on 27) will only be available then, and not in the evening.

Ellie Young
WMF Events Manager

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Takashi OTA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi lists,

I recently noticed that registration has already been open,
as well as the buses from airports to Esino Lario.

If you're already booked your flights and you know your
flight number and arrival time, you can buy the tickets
for the buses.

My question is: my flight arrives 20:55 (of Jun 23rd, AZ419)
at Milano-Linate Airport, and is such late arrival expected to
be picked up by the bus to Esino Lario?
If not, I will (or have to) change my flight(s).

--Takashi U:Takot

Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
c. 510 701 8649

Re: Bus from Airport to the Venue

Takashi OTA
Thanks Ellie for your advice. Your point makes sence.
I will reconsider my bookings.

--Takashi [[U:Takot]]

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 05:15 Ellie Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Deryck Chan
Slightly perplexing question for the organisers: The Wikimania to airport transfer (€25 each way) seems to be substantially more expensive than public transport? (I calculated about €12 each way between Malpensa and Esino Lario, for example?)

I look forward to extra-amazing service that matches the price tag :)

On 14 March 2016 at 15:18, Takashi OTA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi lists,

I recently noticed that registration has already been open,
as well as the buses from airports to Esino Lario.

If you're already booked your flights and you know your
flight number and arrival time, you can buy the tickets
for the buses.

My question is: my flight arrives 20:55 (of Jun 23rd, AZ419)
at Milano-Linate Airport, and is such late arrival expected to
be picked up by the bus to Esino Lario?
If not, I will (or have to) change my flight(s).

--Takashi U:Takot

Re: Bus from Airport to the Venue

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Deryck Chan, 19/03/2016 23:51:
> I calculated about €12 each way between Malpensa and Esino Lario, for
> example?

What sort of calculation did you make? Mine would be 12 + 1.5 + 6.7 + 2.2.

Nemo

Re: Bus from Airport to the Venue

Mike Peel
According to the page at:
https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Journey/Airports
it's 12 + 6.45 + 2.40 = €19.85 - but the price of a taxi might be a better comparison, since it's direct travel, avoiding changes, travel uncertainties, etc., and I'm sure that would be a lot more than €25.

Going back to the original question: I have to arrive quite late on Thursday (at 20.10), so it would be very useful to know the latest times that the busses will be running. It would also be good to know what the latest feasible time to travel from the airports to Esino Lario by public transport is, and what the best options are for people that will be arriving later, e.g., are there any recommended places to stay overnight in Milan or near Varenna-Esino before traveling on to Esino Lario in the morning?

Thanks,
Mike

> On 20 Mar 2016, at 07:14, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Deryck Chan, 19/03/2016 23:51:
>> I calculated about €12 each way between Malpensa and Esino Lario, for
>> example?
>
> What sort of calculation did you make? Mine would be 12 + 1.5 + 6.7 + 2.2.
>
> Nemo

Re: Bus from Airport to the Venue

wheredevelsdare
Hiya,

From previous emails on this thread I understand there will be shuttle services from Milan on 21st and 23rd June and a return service to Milan on 27th June. It would be nice to have a schedule for the service so those of us coming in can time our arrivals accordingly.

it's 12 + 6.45 + 2.40 = €19.85 - but the price of a taxi might be a better comparison, since it's direct travel, avoiding changes, travel uncertainties, etc., and I'm sure that would be a lot more than €25.

Going back to the original question: I have to arrive quite late on Thursday (at 20.10), so it would be very useful to know the latest times that the busses will be running. It would also be good to know what the latest feasible time to travel from the airports to Esino Lario by public transport is, and what the best options are for people that will be arriving later, e.g., are there any recommended places to stay overnight in Milan or near Varenna-Esino before traveling on to Esino Lario in the morning?

Thanks,
Mike

> On 20 Mar 2016, at 07:14, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Deryck Chan, 19/03/2016 23:51:
>> I calculated about €12 each way between Malpensa and Esino Lario, for
>> example?
>
> What sort of calculation did you make? Mine would be 12 + 1.5 + 6.7 + 2.2.
>
> Nemo

Re: Bus from Airport to the Venue

Joseph Fox
I believe this idea is that the registrations will give organisers an idea of what time to organise this service (based on attendees' arrival and departure times).

Might be wrong on that though!

Joe

On Wednesday, 13 April 2016, Where Devels Dare <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hiya,

From previous emails on this thread I understand there will be shuttle services from Milan on 21st and 23rd June and a return service to Milan on 27th June. It would be nice to have a schedule for the service so those of us coming in can time our arrivals accordingly.

it's 12 + 6.45 + 2.40 = €19.85 - but the price of a taxi might be a better comparison, since it's direct travel, avoiding changes, travel uncertainties, etc., and I'm sure that would be a lot more than €25.

Going back to the original question: I have to arrive quite late on Thursday (at 20.10), so it would be very useful to know the latest times that the busses will be running. It would also be good to know what the latest feasible time to travel from the airports to Esino Lario by public transport is, and what the best options are for people that will be arriving later, e.g., are there any recommended places to stay overnight in Milan or near Varenna-Esino before traveling on to Esino Lario in the morning?

Thanks,
Mike

> On 20 Mar 2016, at 07:14, Federico Leva (Nemo) <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;nemowiki@gmail.com&#39;)">nemowiki@...> wrote:
>
> Deryck Chan, 19/03/2016 23:51:
>> I calculated about €12 each way between Malpensa and Esino Lario, for
>> example?
>
> What sort of calculation did you make? Mine would be 12 + 1.5 + 6.7 + 2.2.
>
> Nemo

Sent from a mobile communication device.

Re: Bus from Airport to the Venue

Ellie Young
This is being worked on now by the organizers and will be posted soon.

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016, Where Devels Dare <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hiya,

From previous emails on this thread I understand there will be shuttle services from Milan on 21st and 23rd June and a return service to Milan on 27th June. It would be nice to have a schedule for the service so those of us coming in can time our arrivals accordingly.

it's 12 + 6.45 + 2.40 = €19.85 - but the price of a taxi might be a better comparison, since it's direct travel, avoiding changes, travel uncertainties, etc., and I'm sure that would be a lot more than €25.

Going back to the original question: I have to arrive quite late on Thursday (at 20.10), so it would be very useful to know the latest times that the busses will be running. It would also be good to know what the latest feasible time to travel from the airports to Esino Lario by public transport is, and what the best options are for people that will be arriving later, e.g., are there any recommended places to stay overnight in Milan or near Varenna-Esino before traveling on to Esino Lario in the morning?

Thanks,
Mike

> On 20 Mar 2016, at 07:14, Federico Leva (Nemo) <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;nemowiki@gmail.com&#39;)">nemowiki@...> wrote:
>
> Deryck Chan, 19/03/2016 23:51:
>> I calculated about €12 each way between Malpensa and Esino Lario, for
>> example?
>
> What sort of calculation did you make? Mine would be 12 + 1.5 + 6.7 + 2.2.
>
> Nemo

Ellie Young
Events Manager
Wikimedia Foundation