Bylaws->Approval->Contract??

Robin Schwab-2
Dear all

I tried to translate our bylaws but gave up because it's very difficult.
Then I had the idea to get the English version of the German Wikimedia
bylaws since these are widely identical to ours. Then I found out that
the German Wikimedia bylaws only partially exist in English:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Satzung/English

the same seems to be with the French Wikimedia chapter. The next
question is: Why does the swiss chapter have to translate its bylaws?

Then I thought that bylaws must be approved before a new chapter can be
founded. But

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Local_chapter_FAQ

says: "Once your chapter is operational, a contract regarding your
chapter's logo and trademark use might be made."

This means we're not in a hurry about getting the bylaws approved since
we are not an operational chapter right now.

If we really need to translate the bylaws it would make sense to work
together with the German chapter.

Regards

Robin

Re: Bylaws->Approval->Contract??

Delphine Ménard
On 1/22/06, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to translate our bylaws but gave up because it's very difficult.
> Then I had the idea to get the English version of the German Wikimedia
> bylaws since these are widely identical to ours. Then I found out that
> the German Wikimedia bylaws only partially exist in English:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Satzung/English
>
> the same seems to be with the French Wikimedia chapter. The next
> question is: Why does the swiss chapter have to translate its bylaws?

Because the French and the Germans benefitted from some extraordinary
historical "first chapters being created" exception. As Ilario pointed
out, since the Italian Chapter got created, the bylaws of new chapters
have to be approved by the Foundation ;-).

Sorry about that. :-)

Delphine
--
~notafish