Calendar options, Wikipedia, krass.com

Chris Earle (CBL)
Hi all

The time has come for me to implement a calendar into my wiki .... but i'm
wondering what sort of options I've got.

There's this nifty extension that would be really easy to get up and running
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Cdamian/calendar (demo here:
http://krass.com/wiki/Sandbox/Calendar)
...as all it does it make all the day links for you so you can click and
edit at will ........, simple, but would work

But then there's the insanity of what Wikipedia has ........... dates and
months and stuff all in there with events --- how do they do it?
Some quick digging will lead you to find that their month grids
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September are no more than a template,
generated with the help of a bot
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:SeptemberCalendar2006Source) --- but
can one be expected to sit down and manually enter all that stuff?  I mean,
all the events and stuff too?  Are they using some extra db table I don't
know about?

I'm pretty much sold on using Cdamian's extension to get me going:
pros: simple to add things to a day, since just standard blank articles
cons:might be too simplistic for entries -- no time data etc....can't look
up based on criteria

And what about iCal format?  I see this extension
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sbrunner/SpecialICalendar.php but
haven't a clue what exactly it will do (anyone running it?) -- or if adding
entries in the iCal format will be too cryptic for my users

Holy long post I know!

Anyone with any suggestions or ideas -- please post

--
Chris

List all categories

Kim Grinfeder
Is it possible to dynamically display links to all categories on the
main page?

Thanks,
Kim

Re: List all categories

Morten Blaabjerg
You can make [[Special:Categories]] your main page, if you want.

Best wishes,
Morten :-)

--
Morten Blaabjerg / Crews Cut Production
http://morten.crewscut.com

> Is it possible to dynamically display links to all categories on the
> main page?
>
> Thanks,
> Kim

Re: List all categories

Jan Steinman
> From: "Kim Grinfeder" <[hidden email]>
>
>> Is it possible to dynamically display links to all categories on
>> the main page?

How about putting "{{:Special:Category}}" (or whatever your top-level
category page is) where you want them to appear?

Can't say I've tried it, but it might do something interesting...

:::: Virus? What's a virus? I'm using MacOS! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van ::::

Re: List all categories

Chris Earle (CBL)
Don't think that works .... something about template-including (the {{ }}'s)
and the Special page doesn't work..... I was going to say the same thing

Maybe you could create an "All Categories" category, and add all your
categories to it by default ....and then create an article "Category List"
or something, and use the NiceCategoryList extension to generate the index
of all the categories dynamically -- and then include that {{Category List}}
on your main page.....

if that makes any sense! :-)

--
Chris

"Jan Steinman" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...
> > From: "Kim Grinfeder"
<[hidden email]>