Call Graphs in MediaWiki Documentation

Yuvi Panda
Why do we have callgraph images in the documentation? I can't
understand how they are useful, and they eat bandwidth (+ screenspace)
unnecessarily. Is there a reason for their existence? Can we get rid
of them?

Check this for an example: http://svn.wikimedia.org/doc/classLinker.html

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: Call Graphs in MediaWiki Documentation

Diederik van Liere
-1,
Personally, I like them because they give me a quick overview of the
inter-dependencies and how methods related to each other and so I guess
that for other 'newbies' this helps in getting through the learning curve
faster.
Diederik

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Diederik van Liere <[hidden email]> wrote:
> -1,
> Personally, I like them because they give me a quick overview of the
> inter-dependencies and how methods related to each other and so I guess that
> for other 'newbies' this helps in getting through the learning curve faster.
> Diederik

It's two pages of horizontal scrolling, and understanding internal
details helps newbies?

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: Call Graphs in MediaWiki Documentation

Bergi
Yuvi Panda schrieb:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Diederik van Liere<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> -1,
>> Personally, I like them because they give me a quick overview of the
>> inter-dependencies and how methods related to each other and so I guess that
>> for other 'newbies' this helps in getting through the learning curve faster.
>> Diederik
>
> It's two pages of horizontal scrolling, and understanding internal
> details helps newbies?

I agrree they give a good overview. Of course this might be an extreme
example and the internal details of wfDebug should be filtered from that
graphs, but when you need to know about dependencies they're a big help.
  Bergi

Re: Call Graphs in MediaWiki Documentation

Hunter Fernandes
Make them optional perhaps? They are annoying but sometimes can be very
useful.
- Hunter F.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 4:28 AM, Bergi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yuvi Panda schrieb:
> > On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Diederik van Liere<[hidden email]>
>  wrote:
> >> -1,
> >> Personally, I like them because they give me a quick overview of the
> >> inter-dependencies and how methods related to each other and so I guess
> that
> >> for other 'newbies' this helps in getting through the learning curve
> faster.
> >> Diederik
> >
> > It's two pages of horizontal scrolling, and understanding internal
> > details helps newbies?
>
> I agrree they give a good overview. Of course this might be an extreme
> example and the internal details of wfDebug should be filtered from that
> graphs, but when you need to know about dependencies they're a big help.
>   Bergi

Re: Call Graphs in MediaWiki Documentation

Olivier Beaton
Sounds like a job for a collapsible element.