Call for Volunteers: If you can read a diff, you're exactly who we need.

Call for Volunteers: If you can read a diff, you're exactly who we need.

Steven Walling-3
Hi everyone,

In the Community Dept. we've been collaborating with some Wikipedians to
continue one of the research projects from the summer, namely involving the
randomized testing of talk page templates to try and improve them. (If you
watch WP:VPT, then you might've seen our announcements.)

The great thing about doing randomized testing is that we get a more
unbiased assessment of our experiment. The bad thing is that in order to do
a proper job of crunching these numbers, we need help from people who can
read wiki histories accurately and tell us what's going on.

This is where you come in. Obviously no one is better primed to analyze
diffs and editing histories than editors, so we're looking for a few (3-4,
but the more the merrier) volunteers to lend us their experience this week.

I know used the r word (research), which makes it sound not really
important, but this is a live experiment on the projects. If we do this
correctly, then we can do a better job of educating good faith editors,
warning away those who cause damage to the encyclopedia, and keeping
experienced Wikipedians from getting their user pages vandalized by angry
people. ;-)

The system we've got set up for analyzing these diffs is insanely simple if
you're used to MediaWiki, so let me know either on the list or my talk page
[1] if you might have an hour or two to spare.

Steven Walling

1). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Steven_(WMF)

Re: Call for Volunteers: If you can read a diff, you're exactly who we need.

Jim Redmond
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 16:15, Steven Walling <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> In the Community Dept. we've been collaborating with some Wikipedians to
> continue one of the research projects from the summer, namely involving the
> randomized testing of talk page templates to try and improve them. (If you
> watch WP:VPT, then you might've seen our announcements.)
>
> The great thing about doing randomized testing is that we get a more
> unbiased assessment of our experiment. The bad thing is that in order to do
> a proper job of crunching these numbers, we need help from people who can
> read wiki histories accurately and tell us what's going on.
>
> This is where you come in. Obviously no one is better primed to analyze
> diffs and editing histories than editors, so we're looking for a few (3-4,
> but the more the merrier) volunteers to lend us their experience this week.
>
> I know used the r word (research), which makes it sound not really
> important, but this is a live experiment on the projects. If we do this
> correctly, then we can do a better job of educating good faith editors,
> warning away those who cause damage to the encyclopedia, and keeping
> experienced Wikipedians from getting their user pages vandalized by angry
> people. ;-)
>
> The system we've got set up for analyzing these diffs is insanely simple if
> you're used to MediaWiki, so let me know either on the list or my talk page
> [1] if you might have an hour or two to spare.

I'm game, if you still need volunteers.

--
Jim Redmond
[[User:Jredmond]]

Re: Call for Volunteers: If you can read a diff, you're exactly who we need.

Ev. Jorgen.
Jorgenev reporting in.