Quantcast

Call for candidates to form the first Code of Conduct Committee

Call for candidates to form the first Code of Conduct Committee

Quim Gil-2
Dear Wikimedia technical community members,

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct

The review of the Code of Conduct for Wikimedia technical spaces has been
completed and now it is time to bootstrap its first committee. The
Technical Collaboration team is looking for five candidates to form the
Committee plus five additional auxiliary members. One of them could be you
or someone you know!

You can propose yourself as a candidate and you can recommend others
*privately* at
techconductcandidates AT wikimedia DOT org

We want to form a very diverse list of candidates reflecting the variety of
people, activities, and spaces in the Wikimedia technical community. We are
also open to other candidates with experience in the field. Diversity in
the Committee is also a way to promote fairness and independence in their
decisions. This means that no matter who you are, where you come from, what
you work on, or for how long, you are a potential good member of this
Committee.

The main requirements to join the Committee are a will to foster an open
and welcoming community and a commitment to making participation in
Wikimedia technical projects a respectful and harassment-free experience
for everyone. The committee will handle reports of unacceptable behavior,
will analyze the cases, and will resolve on them according to the Code of
Conduct. The Committee will also handle proposals to amend the Code of
Conduct for the purpose of increasing its efficiency. The term of this
first Committee will be one year.

Once we have a list of 5 + 5 candidates, we will announce it here for
review. You can learn more about the Committee and its selection process at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct/Committee and you can ask
questions in the related Talk page (preferred) or here.

You can also track the progress of this bootstrapping process at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_of_Conduct#Bootstrapping_the_Code_of_Conduct_Committee

PS: We have many technical spaces and reaching to all people potentially
interested is hard! Please help spreading this call.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: Call for candidates to form the first Code of Conduct Committee

Quim Gil-2
Source:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_of_Conduct#Selection_process_for_CoC_Committee_candidates

The call for CoC Committee candidates was announced one week ago. Here goes
a status update.

We
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Technical_Collaboration/Community_health>
have received some self-nominations and some recommendations, and we have
shared next steps with all the candidates involved. We have also received
some questions, which we are documenting at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct/FAQ#Committee

We are starting our own search for additional candidates to be invited. Our
current objective is to complete a list of potential candidates. Once we
have a good list, we will start the selection process.

Diversity is the key factor in the Committee that we envision. One way to
search for diverse candidates is to look into different areas in our
technical community, and try to look well in each of these areas (as
opposed to relying on generic lists only, like code review contributors,
participants in hackathons, and so on). The list of areas we have so far
(which welcomes suggestions) is:

* Bots
* CoC Talk page
* Code contributors / reviewers
* Gadgets
* GSoC / Outreachy / GCi
* MediaWiki Stakeholders
* Researchers
* Tech ambassadors / Bug reporters
* Templates / Lua modules
* Tools
* Translators
* Wikidata
* Wikimedia Foundation

The important points about the selection process are:

* We will have a conversation with each candidate selected before the
announcement; we will not announce any candidate before their confirmation
and review.
* Only the candidates selected will be announced publicly; the full list of
candidates will remain private.

Questions or feedback? Please comment here or privately at
techconductcandidates AT wikimedia.org.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedia technical community members,
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct
>
> The review of the Code of Conduct for Wikimedia technical spaces has been
> completed and now it is time to bootstrap its first committee. The
> Technical Collaboration team is looking for five candidates to form the
> Committee plus five additional auxiliary members. One of them could be you
> or someone you know!
>
> You can propose yourself as a candidate and you can recommend others
> *privately* at
> techconductcandidates AT wikimedia DOT org
>
> We want to form a very diverse list of candidates reflecting the variety
> of people, activities, and spaces in the Wikimedia technical community. We
> are also open to other candidates with experience in the field. Diversity
> in the Committee is also a way to promote fairness and independence in
> their decisions. This means that no matter who you are, where you come
> from, what you work on, or for how long, you are a potential good member of
> this Committee.
>
> The main requirements to join the Committee are a will to foster an open
> and welcoming community and a commitment to making participation in
> Wikimedia technical projects a respectful and harassment-free experience
> for everyone. The committee will handle reports of unacceptable behavior,
> will analyze the cases, and will resolve on them according to the Code of
> Conduct. The Committee will also handle proposals to amend the Code of
> Conduct for the purpose of increasing its efficiency. The term of this
> first Committee will be one year.
>
> Once we have a list of 5 + 5 candidates, we will announce it here for
> review. You can learn more about the Committee and its selection process at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct/Committee and you can ask
> questions in the related Talk page (preferred) or here.
>
> You can also track the progress of this bootstrapping process at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_of_Conduct#
> Bootstrapping_the_Code_of_Conduct_Committee
>
> PS: We have many technical spaces and reaching to all people potentially
> interested is hard! Please help spreading this call.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: Call for candidates to form the first Code of Conduct Committee

Quim Gil-2
Source: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_of_Conduct#
Selection_process_for_CoC_Committee_candidates

Status update: 37 people have been contacted so far, from which 32 are
currently potential candidates. 6 people are self-nominated, 18 have been
recommended, and 13 have been invited by us. We have started to discuss
selection criteria. With our focus on diversity in mind, we are trying to
cover fairly well aspects like gender, age, location, languages,
affiliation, developer experience, Wikimedia experience, and areas of
specialization.

We are still reaching out to new candidates and we welcome more
self-nominations and recommendations. Instructions:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_of_Conduct#Call_for_candidates_to_form_the_first_Code_of_Conduct_Committee