Call for translation: WMF website housekeeping

Call for translation: WMF website housekeeping

KIZU Naoko
Hello,
Seasons greetings

Transcom is beginning a spring house keeping drive on Wikimedia
Foundation website [1]. We happily invite you to join this cleaning-up
and help renew pages or add new translations.

WMF site needs to be up-to-date, in every language ideally. By now WMF
site has its content in many languages. Some pages are available in
over 10 or even 20. But not every page is regularly updated. Some
contents are based on year old one or much older ones, like the
English version created in 2005. For example,
- Spanish Home Page (Portada) is based on September 2005 English version.
- Romanian and Italian Home Pages are based on an much earlier version.
- Korean page seems to be much older (2004?)
- Turkish and Finnish "About Wikimedia" were last modified in 2006,
and   thus not in form of FAQ.

We Transcom propose a schedule for cleaning-up as follows:
#0. This announcement
#1. Waiting phase (2 weeks, until April 7)
  We Transcom ask every translators to check their language pages, and
if they are outdated, to renew those pages. We expect you translators
to begin your work within 2 weeks ... you can jump in translation
directly or just say on this list "I'll take care of it very soon", if
you are willing to help.
#2. Determine outdated and abandoned pages (from April 8): if someone
works or will soon work on a page at that moment, we are happy to wait
for their translation.
#3. Turning those outdated and abandoned pages into soft redirects.
  Soft redirects will be template messages with a link to another
language version or more. We are thinking English versions, unless the
other language is recommended. We'll make a template for this purpose.
The draft is on meta [2]. An example of look and feel of French
version "sorry for your inconvenience template" is available  [2']
#4. Final review (May 21)
  There would be the pages which are not ready on April 8 but ongoing
or just said to be ready in  days. If no work is done at all by this
date, those pages will also be turned into redirect.

Cbrown1023 made a list of outdated pages [3], it will be a good start
to review your language pages.

Workspace for translation of each page may be found through
[[meta:Translation requests]] (aka [[m:TR]]). [4]

Questions and suggestions are welcome as always. You are welcome to
ask a question on this list, [[m:Meta talk:Babylon]] [5] or IRC
channel #wikimedia-translation. For general guidance about translation
on meta, [[m:Translation]] will be helpful. [6]

Happy translation!

  [1] http://wikimediafoundation.org
  [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/update_needed/en
  [2'] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/R%C3%A9solutions
  [3] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Cbrown1023/Updates#Translations
  [4] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/TR
  [5] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta_talk:Babylon
  [6] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Call for translation: WMF website housekeeping

Sabine Cretella
Hi :-) well, we are still on "holiday" over here :-) today we should go
out, but it is raining cats and dogs ... so for now: computer.

Also here: please note that if we have Spanish we get Catalan, French,
Portuguese, Galician quite easily only with need to proofread and
therefore less work to be done (Apertium).

Cheers, Sabine

Am Montag, den 24.03.2008, 09:42 +0900 schrieb Aphaia:

> [...]
> The draft is on meta [2]. An example of look and feel of French
> version "sorry for your inconvenience template" is available  [2']
> #4. Final review (May 21)
>   There would be the pages which are not ready on April 8 but ongoing
> or just said to be ready in  days. If no work is done at all by this
> date, those pages will also be turned into redirect.
>
> Cbrown1023 made a list of outdated pages [3], it will be a good start
> to review your language pages.
>
> Workspace for translation of each page may be found through
> [[meta:Translation requests]] (aka [[m:TR]]). [4]
>
> Questions and suggestions are welcome as always. You are welcome to
> ask a question on this list, [[m:Meta talk:Babylon]] [5] or IRC
> channel #wikimedia-translation. For general guidance about translation
> on meta, [[m:Translation]] will be helpful. [6]

[Reminder] Call for translation: WMF website housekeeping

KIZU Naoko
As your reminder - now we are in the midst of Phase 1 of wmf website
cleaning up (waiting for responce).
On this list and privately I have no notification there would be works
outside of the wiki (=meta).  I haven't heard such notifications from
Transcom members.

If you are willing to help, but prefer to work locally and planning to
upload your results later to the wiki page, please notice us on the
list. You will be considered as "responding".

Happy translation!