Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Erik Moeller-4
Dear translation community,

I'd like to make a renewed call for translation for the Wikipedia
videos that we released last month. See background here:

http://blog.wikimedia.org/blog/2010/09/24/four-videos-of-wikipedias-volunteers/

We already have subtitle translations in a dozen or so languages, but
we need many more :-). Here's how it works:

1) You'll find the videos at:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:September_2010_Wikipedia_Videos

2) Click any of the video file names to get to the description pages.
On the description page, you will see a list of "Available closed
captioning files".

3) Click the English language source of a subtitle file. Click "Edit".

4) Copy all the text into the clipboard.

5) In the address bar, replace "en" with your Wikimedia language code.
So, for example,

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=TimedText:Wikipedia_User_Name_MEDIUM.ogv.en.srt&action=edit

becomes

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=TimedText:Wikipedia_User_Name_MEDIUM.ogv.de.srt&action=edit

for a German translation. Load the new address. You can now paste in
the English original, and start translating line by line (be careful
not to remove the time markers).

If there is a translation in your language already, please help to
proofread/improve it.

Liane Al-Ghusain (on CC) is a communications intern with the Wikimedia
Foundation. She will import the subtitles into the YouTube copies of
the videos. To allow us to import them as a batch, please complete
your translations by _OCTOBER 15_. We will import them the following
week.

If you've updated an existing translation, please let Liane know so
she can import it.

Thank you very much for your help. We think these videos are a great
outreach tool, and your translations will make them even more widely
accessible. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

All best,

Erik

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

2010/10/4 Olli <[hidden email]>:
> So, have I understand right, user not need to have any Commons gadget to
> watch subtitled videos? And you will upload the subtitles to YouTube?

Dear Olli,

yes, we will upload the subtitles to YouTube (some are already there),
and no gadgets are required to view the subtitles there.

To view the subtitles on Wikimedia Commons, viewers will have to
enable the mwEmbed gadget. We hope that it'll become part of the
standard Commons experience in the future.

All best,
Erik

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Kong Soon Lim
Greetings and hi,

I am quite confused over the translation instructions. Do we create a new page with the translated version with the following format
"TimeText:Edit Button.ogv.en.srt"  where "en" is replaced with the language translated?

Regards,
KongSoon Lim
User: Diagramma Della Verita
You can help Wikimedia change the world!
Visit http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising for more details.

2010/10/5 Kong Soon Lim <[hidden email]>:
> Greetings and hi,
> I am quite confused over the translation instructions. Do we create a new
> page with the translated version with the following format
> "TimeText:Edit Button.ogv.en.srt"  where "en" is replaced with the language
> translated?

Yes, you got it :-)

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Olli-6
Hello, I edited the closed cap template,

now you can directly create a translation. or edit existing one

Does it look OK?

Olli

2010/10/5 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>
2010/10/5 Kong Soon Lim <[hidden email]>:
> Greetings and hi,
> I am quite confused over the translation instructions. Do we create a new
> page with the translated version with the following format
> "TimeText:Edit Button.ogv.en.srt"  where "en" is replaced with the language
> translated?

Yes, you got it :-)

2010/10/5 Olli <[hidden email]>:
> Hello, I edited the closed cap template,
> now you can directly create a translation. or edit existing one
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Edit_Button.ogv
> Does it look OK?

Looks awesome :-). Thanks, Olli! That should make things a lot easier.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Olli-6
Thank you. =)

2010/10/5 Olli <[hidden email]>:
> Hello, I edited the closed cap template,
> now you can directly create a translation. or edit existing one
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Edit_Button.ogv
> Does it look OK?

Looks awesome :-). Thanks, Olli! That should make things a lot easier.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Kong Soon Lim
Please check again the translation uploaded on Youtube.

For the video Wikimedia:Username the Polish translation is placed under Russian.

Regards,
Kong-Soon Lim
User: Diagramma Della Verita
You can help Wikimedia change the world!
Visit http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising for more details.

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Damokos Bence
The new template has inspired me to translate one more of the videos :)

Could someone check the Hungarian subtitles on the Great Feeling video on YouTube: at 10 seconds in 3 or 4 lines are displayed at once (I guess a couple of line breaks are missing).

Best regards,
Bence

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Kong Soon Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please check again the translation uploaded on Youtube.

For the video Wikimedia:Username the Polish translation is placed under Russian.

Regards,
Kong-Soon Lim
User: Diagramma Della Verita
You can help Wikimedia change the world!
Visit http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising for more details.

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for WikipediaVideos

Tim Kemperman

Hi, an incorrectness: In the videos “Great Feeling” and “Edit Button”, the Dutch subtitels on YouTube are actually Low German (nds).

Regards,
Tim

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Takashi OTA-4
Hi lists,

First of all, thank you Erik to post this. Making subtitles is one of my
most exciting thing. And my thanks also goes to Liane for posting it
to YouTube.

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/blog/2010/09/24/four-videos-of-wikipedias-volunteers/

Some of whom clicked this link have already known, I'm listing YouTube links
here just to watch video easier:

Wikipedia: Username
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzUwXaAK2s
Wikipedia: Nice people
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoszRJpvAP0
Wikipedia: Edit button
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25hWh1Pa44M
Wikipedia: Great feeling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St1JN6m0FTI

I also tried to enable mwEmbed gadget in user preferences and found it
worked quite well.

BTW, time codes of [[File:Wikipedia_User_Name_MEDIUM.ogv.en.srt]]
are rounded to integers, resulting subtitle timing somewhat strange.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/TimedText:Wikipedia_User_Name_MEDIUM.ogv.en.srt

Could anybody make it more accurate timing?

Thanks in advance,

--OTA Takashi [[User:Takot]]

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Takashi OTA-4
Hi lists,

I've already finished four subtitles of Japanese versions, however, have
one question about [[File:Wikipedia_User_Name_MEDIUM.ogv.en.srt]].
(So, as you may imagine, what I have to "translate" were very limited
sentences. :-)
It seems a good footage to show Wikimedia projects have been
made by multi-ethnic and multi-cultural people. Amazing. BTW,
these user names are originally all written in alphabet and numeric
characters? I kept all usernames unchanged because these are
proper noun, or unique ID, so I thought changing them is not
respecting those users. But if some of their user names are written
other characters, describing them as original spelling is not a bad idea.

--OTA Takashi [[User:Takot]]

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Takashi OTA-4
Forgive me continuing post,

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Takashi OTA
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi lists,
>
> I've already finished four subtitles of Japanese versions, however, have
> one question about [[File:Wikipedia_User_Name_MEDIUM.ogv.en.srt]].

> It seems a good footage to show Wikimedia projects have been
> made by multi-ethnic and multi-cultural people. Amazing. BTW,
> these user names are originally all written in alphabet and numeric
> characters? I kept all usernames unchanged because these are
> proper noun, or unique ID, so I thought changing them is not
> respecting those users.

(So, as you may imagine, what I have to "translate" were very limited
sentences. :-)

> But if some of their user names are written
> other characters, describing them as original spelling is not a bad idea.

I mistook where to insert parenthesized lines so that does not make sense :-)

--Takashi

Re: Call for translations: Subtitles for Wikipedia Videos

Olli-6
there is some encoding problems , example Ä and Ö are not viewing correctly,...

Olli