Campaigns extension / ServerSideAccountCreation log - does anyone still use it?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Campaigns extension / ServerSideAccountCreation log - does anyone still use it?

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Question 1: Would anyone care if we kill the "loginCTA" campaign, which
tracks when people use the link at the bottom of Special:UserLogin to get
to the account creation page?

Question 2: Would anyone care if we remove the extension entirely from
Wikimedia wikis? Wikiapiary seems to show only one user outside of
Wikimedia.

Background: The extension needs a rewrite for AuthManager, and in
particular the "loginCTA" campaign will be a bit of a pain to keep working.
If someone is making use of the extension that's fine, but if not we may as
well not continue to spend development resources on it.


--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Campaigns extension / ServerSideAccountCreation log - does anyone still use it?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
I think it's easier to answer this question by checking the
corresponding data.

WMIT used this recently (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123059 ; I
don't know if there will be more) but most potential users probably
don't know about the possibility (which was never really documented).

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Campaigns extension / ServerSideAccountCreation log - does anyone still use it?

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 1:49 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think it's easier to answer this question by checking the corresponding
> data.
>
> WMIT used this recently (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123059 ; I
> don't know if there will be more) but most potential users probably don't
> know about the possibility (which was never really documented).
>

Thanks, that answers my Question 2. Anyone have an answer for Question 1?

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Campaigns extension / ServerSideAccountCreation log - does anyone still use it?

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
In reply to this post by Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Question 1: Would anyone care if we kill the "loginCTA" campaign, which
> tracks when people use the link at the bottom of Special:UserLogin to get
> to the account creation page?
>
> Question 2: Would anyone care if we remove the extension entirely from
> Wikimedia wikis? Wikiapiary seems to show only one user outside of
> Wikimedia.
>

Following up on this: Since the answer to Question 2 was yes, we've done
the necessary update to Campaigns so it will continue working with
AuthManager.[1] Since no one answered Question 1, the loginCTA campaign has
been removed. It will stop showing up in 1.28.0-wmf.4, which rolls out this
week.

 [1]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/291280/


--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Campaigns extension / ServerSideAccountCreation log - does anyone still use it?

Steven Walling
Hey Brad,

That sounds fine to me.

We previously used the loginCTA campaign to measure the value of that
secondary button on the login page (
ee-dashboard.wmflabs.org/graphs/enwiki_campaigns) but it doesn't need to
happen on an ongoing basis.

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:31 AM Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Question 1: Would anyone care if we kill the "loginCTA" campaign, which
> > tracks when people use the link at the bottom of Special:UserLogin to get
> > to the account creation page?
> >
> > Question 2: Would anyone care if we remove the extension entirely from
> > Wikimedia wikis? Wikiapiary seems to show only one user outside of
> > Wikimedia.
> >
>
> Following up on this: Since the answer to Question 2 was yes, we've done
> the necessary update to Campaigns so it will continue working with
> AuthManager.[1] Since no one answered Question 1, the loginCTA campaign has
> been removed. It will stop showing up in 1.28.0-wmf.4, which rolls out this
> week.
>
>  [1]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/291280/
>
>
> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Senior Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Campaigns extension / ServerSideAccountCreation log - does anyone still use it?

Neil Patel Quinn
Brad,

I used the "loginCTA" campaign data just a couple weeks ago to track the
effects of a change to the design of the call to action on
Special:UserLogin.[1] Since the Editing department is (theoretically at
least) responsible for accounts and signups, I imagine I'll have reasons to
use it in the future as well. So I definitely vote for keeping it.

It's not critical data, though, so if it makes more sense to put the
instrumentation back in next week's train, that's fine.

(I went on vacation last Thursday and only got back today, so I didn't have
a chance to see this and comment before the patch got merged.)

[1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T126307#2303154

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Steven Walling <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey Brad,
>
> That sounds fine to me.
>
> We previously used the loginCTA campaign to measure the value of that
> secondary button on the login page (
> ee-dashboard.wmflabs.org/graphs/enwiki_campaigns) but it doesn't need to
> happen on an ongoing basis.
>
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:31 AM Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
> > [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Question 1: Would anyone care if we kill the "loginCTA" campaign, which
> > > tracks when people use the link at the bottom of Special:UserLogin to
> get
> > > to the account creation page?
> > >
> > > Question 2: Would anyone care if we remove the extension entirely from
> > > Wikimedia wikis? Wikiapiary seems to show only one user outside of
> > > Wikimedia.
> > >
> >
> > Following up on this: Since the answer to Question 2 was yes, we've done
> > the necessary update to Campaigns so it will continue working with
> > AuthManager.[1] Since no one answered Question 1, the loginCTA campaign
> has
> > been removed. It will stop showing up in 1.28.0-wmf.4, which rolls out
> this
> > week.
> >
> >  [1]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/291280/
> >
> >
> > --
> > Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> > Senior Software Engineer
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>



--
Neil P. Quinn <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Neil_P._Quinn-WMF>,
product analyst
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Campaigns extension / ServerSideAccountCreation log - does anyone still use it?

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Neil P. Quinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I used the "loginCTA" campaign data just a couple weeks ago to track the
> effects of a change to the design of the call to action on
> Special:UserLogin.[1] Since the Editing department is (theoretically at
> least) responsible for accounts and signups, I imagine I'll have reasons to
> use it in the future as well. So I definitely vote for keeping it.
>
> It's not critical data, though, so if it makes more sense to put the
> instrumentation back in next week's train, that's fine.
>

To put the campaign back, someone will have to figure out a good way to let
an extension mess with the link in LoginSignupSpecialPage::getAuthForm().
Options include

   - Sticking a new hook in there to mess with the link and/or the HTML.
   - Rearranging the code so it's done as an HTMLInfoField instead of being
   appended as HTML using HTMLForm->addFooterText(), so you can use the
   existing 'AuthChangeFormFields' hook to mess with it.


--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Campaigns extension / ServerSideAccountCreation log - does anyone still use it?

Neil Patel Quinn
Ah, I had understood from your initial message that it wouldn't be hard
keep it and you'd be willing to do so as long as someone found it useful.
We can continue the discussion on Phabricator. [1]

[1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T136727

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Neil P. Quinn <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I used the "loginCTA" campaign data just a couple weeks ago to track the
>> effects of a change to the design of the call to action on
>> Special:UserLogin.[1] Since the Editing department is (theoretically at
>> least) responsible for accounts and signups, I imagine I'll have reasons to
>> use it in the future as well. So I definitely vote for keeping it.
>>
>> It's not critical data, though, so if it makes more sense to put the
>> instrumentation back in next week's train, that's fine.
>>
>
> To put the campaign back, someone will have to figure out a good way to
> let an extension mess with the link in
> LoginSignupSpecialPage::getAuthForm(). Options include
>
>    - Sticking a new hook in there to mess with the link and/or the HTML.
>    - Rearranging the code so it's done as an HTMLInfoField instead of
>    being appended as HTML using HTMLForm->addFooterText(), so you can use the
>    existing 'AuthChangeFormFields' hook to mess with it.
>
>
> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Senior Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation
>



--
Neil P. Quinn <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Neil_P._Quinn-WMF>,
product analyst
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l