Can History Be Open Source?

Joseph Reagle
http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/jah/93.1/rosenzweig.html
 From The Journal of American History Vol. 93, Issue 1.

Can History Be Open Source? Wikipedia and the Future of the Past
Roy Rosenzweig

Re: Can History Be Open Source?

Tim 'avatar' Bartel
Hi Wiki-Researchers,

Joseph Reagle schrieb am 23.06.2006 18:13:
> http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/jah/93.1/rosenzweig.html
>  From The Journal of American History Vol. 93, Issue 1.

Well - it's a litte bit funny reading the abstract/intro including this
quote "Wikipedia is entirely free. And that freedom includes not just
the ability of anyone to read it (a freedom denied by the scholarly
journals in, say, JSTOR, which requires an expensive institutional
subscription) but also—more remarkably—their freedom to use it." and
after 391 words: "There are about 16236 more words in this article.
Please log in (or, if you are not yet an authorized user, please go to
the User Setup page) to gain full access rights. Or if you're already
logged in register your subscription." and you have to pay at least 10$
if you are not associated with American History.

Bye, Tim.

--
The greatest productive force is human selfishness.
(Heinlein: The notebooks of Lazarus Long)

Re: Can History Be Open Source?

Tim 'avatar' Bartel
Hi Wiki-Researchers,

Joseph Reagle schrieb am 23.06.2006 18:13:
> http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/jah/93.1/rosenzweig.html
>  From The Journal of American History Vol. 93, Issue 1.

You can find the complete article here:
http://chnm.gmu.edu/resources/essays/d/42

Bye, Tim.

--
The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected.
-> The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

Re: Can History Be Open Source?

Andrea Forte
Ahh, this take me back. The original version of my dissertation
project was "Open Source History: Collaborative Technologies to
Support Students as Authors of History" :-)

Andrea