Can I use ODBC and a MSSQL Server database?

Can I use ODBC and a MSSQL Server database?

Jay Blanchard-2
Good afternoon gurus and gurettes,

I have been searching the site and the web and it appears that MediaWiki
requires Apache and MySQL (I want to reconfig my servers, but corporate
policy will not allow me to accomplish this at the moment). I was hoping to
use an existing server and database here, IIS5 and MSSQL Server 2000. Is
this possible? Can someone point me to any documentation? I tried searching
the mailing list archive, but so far I've found nothing mentioned.

Thanks!

Jay

RE: Can I use ODBC and a MSSQL Server database?

Arthur Guy-2
IIS5 is certainly possible you just need php setup with it.

Other databases aren't supported but I imagine if you can find the
references and calls to the database in the appropriate php files you
could modify them accordingly.
I am sure someone else has tried this and can comment further.

Arthur
[hidden email]

I was hoping to use an existing server and database here, IIS5 and MSSQL
Server 2000. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Jay

RE: Can I use ODBC and a MSSQL Server database?

Jay Blanchard-2
[snip]
IIS5 is certainly possible you just need php setup with it.

Other databases aren't supported but I imagine if you can find the
references and calls to the database in the appropriate php files you
could modify them accordingly.
I am sure someone else has tried this and can comment further.
[/snip]

I have PHP up and running on the server in question. I could install MySQL,
but being able to use the exisitng database would sure be handy and less
resource intensive. Thanks!

Re: Can I use ODBC and a MSSQL Server database?

Bugzilla from rowan.collins@gmail.com
On 30/01/06, Jay Blanchard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have PHP up and running on the server in question. I could install MySQL,
> but being able to use the exisitng database would sure be handy and less
> resource intensive. Thanks!

Well, there is an increasing level of abstraction in the database
code, in order to support Postgres and Oracle. I don't think anyone's
done any SQL Server work, and I couldn't find anything on
bugzilla.wikimedia.org, but it certainly may be possible!

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]