Can WMF help CodeMirror with funding?

Saint Johann
Saw this announcement today that CodeMirror is being rewritten with
accessibility improvements and mobile support and its developers need
funding for it:
https://codemirror.net/6/

Is there some possibility that WMF could donate to their project?
Wikimedia projects use CodeMirror by default as a wiki text syntax
highlighter and I have no doubt that this has already helped many people
in their work, so supporting this development seems natural for the
movement.

(Disclaimer: I don’t know the funding processes of WMF, so I am not
exactly sure whether or not this is possible from the legal side.)

Oleg

Re: Can WMF help CodeMirror with funding?

Andre Klapper-2
Hi,

On Fri, 2018-08-31 at 17:35 +0300, Saint Johann wrote:

> Saw this announcement today that CodeMirror is being rewritten with
> accessibility improvements and mobile support and its developers need
> funding for it:
> https://codemirror.net/6/
>
> Is there some possibility that WMF could donate to their project?
> Wikimedia projects use CodeMirror by default as a wiki text syntax
> highlighter and I have no doubt that this has already helped many people
> in their work, so supporting this development seems natural for the
> movement.

please see https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project

Thanks,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Can WMF help CodeMirror with funding?

Alex Ezell
Hi all,
I'm the Engineering Manager for the Community Tech team at the Wikimedia
Foundation. Our team did some of the integration work for CodeMirror and
MediaWiki. We are excited about the forthcoming work on CodeMirror and how
it will make working with wikitext in our wikitext editors even easier,
especially on mobile.

We are in contact with the CodeMirror developers and discussing ways we can
help with this new effort. We value the features that CodeMirror brings to
MediaWiki and we value the open source work that the CodeMirror team does.
We don't yet know what form this support will take. There are several
options and we want to ensure we are helping the CodeMirror team in an
impactful way.

I anticipate that you'll hear more about this in the near future.

Alex Ezell
Engineering Manager
Wikimedia Foundation