Can a wikimedia-b list be setup

Pat Gunn-2
Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>You know, I did not want to address this on this list, but it appears I
>will have to in order
>for folks to get it.

I believe this is a poor line of reasoning for a bad idea. The
foundation has certain goals, and these are not always realised
by the community at large, nor must they all deal with the
responsibility, fine details, or the work involved in making
sure the project stays afloat. By and large, the goals of the
community and those of the foundation coincide though, helped
by the transparency and (certain amounts of) openness. I am very
concerned at your implication (in point 9) that nondisruptive
efforts to suggest that some arrangements are not acceptable to
the community should be easily overruled by the business interests
of the foundation. The "Explosive growth" you say should be our
goal is dangerous in the same way that cancer is -- it can easily
become a perversion of our hopes and structure in the name of
size. We must be careful about growth and absolutely
insistent on as much openness and inclusiveness as possible,
even when it costs us business opportunities. I am similarly very
disturbed at your point 11, which suggests that off-list lobbying
against proposed business ventures is something that we should
consider verboten or dangerous.

---
Pat Gunn
mod: csna, bmcm, bmco, cooa, cona, clpd, coom
http://dachte.org

Re: Can a wikimedia-b list be setup

jmerkey-3
Pat Gunn wrote:

Hi Pat,

I guess the real question here is defining who "we" is. I see "we" as
the whole of planet earth,
not just the current incarnation of the community. As for point 11, when
people are investing money
to see THEIR goals fulfilled, you kindof have to balance all the
concerns of the various players.
Not an easy task.

Linux Kernel development uses an unmoderated list where some very
powerful players interact
from a business world and the internet community worlds and do so very
well. IBM, Novell,
and folks from this very community (Gregory Maxwell for example) all
interact in this model and
have vritually achieved global dominion of OS development and deployment
by finding a common
ground and balancing these enormous conflux of powers.

It works because the pressure for people to act responsilbly is based on
finanacial and business concerns
and support of the various business entities and their acceptance of
technology proposals.

Jeff

On 06/09/06, Pat Gunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "Explosive growth" you say should be our
> goal is dangerous in the same way that cancer is -- it can easily
> become a perversion of our hopes and structure in the name of
> size.

Our growth is horribly fast as is and we are barely keeping up with
it. Which is why the downtime page has a PayPal button on it ;-)

- d.