Can category hierarchy be adjusted?

Matt England
Can category hierarchy be adjusted?

ie, if I make a "toplevel" category, can I change it to a "sub category"
sometime later?

I'm still a category newbie, so pardon my ignorance.

-Matt

Re: Can category hierarchy be adjusted?

Rob Church
If a category's description page has a [[Category:]] tag on it, it
will be treated as a subcategory of that category.

Rob Church

On 28/02/06, Matt England <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can category hierarchy be adjusted?
>
> ie, if I make a "toplevel" category, can I change it to a "sub category"
> sometime later?
>
> I'm still a category newbie, so pardon my ignorance.
>
> -Matt

Re: Can category hierarchy be adjusted?

Michael Dorosh
You just have to change the category tags on the pages is all.

If you have

Page One - [[Category: Baseball]]

and you have

Category: Baseball with a tag on the page called [[Category: Sports]]

You would then find that "Baseball" is a subcategory of "Sports".

If you wanted to change the order around, you would have to

change Page One to include [[Category: Sports]]

and changed Category: Sports to include [[Category: Baseball]]

so then "Sports" would be a subcategory of "Baseball".