Can't create new pages

Gustaf Josefsson
Hello!

I just installed mediawiki on a new site. I've used it on other servers before and never encountered this problem.
For some reason, i get "Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.", when i try to enter a new url (/index.php?title=asd). This seem to be similar to the problem described here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Starting_a_new_page#Page_Not_Found_error

I cannot for the life of me figured out what the problem is. I reinstalled from scratch, without any customizations, so this has to be a server config problem. It's not my server, but my guess it that it probably something I can fix by changing some php option in my .htaccess.

Anyone have a good idea?

My site is at: http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/

Thank you,

/ Gustaf

[guff]
Gustaf Josefsson
Entreprenör, inspiratör och expert på allt.
[hidden email]
0709-854979

- Sveriges mest kreativa problemlösare -
www.entreprenorsjakten.se

-

Entreprenörsjakten - Sveriges mest kreativa problemlösare.
Gustaf Josefsson
Grundare & Visionär
0709-854979
[hidden email]
www.entreprenorsjakten.se
Läs Entreprenörsjaktens blogg på: www.entreprenorsjakten.se/blogg

Re: Can't create new pages

Daniel Barrett-3
Works for me:
http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=Abc

DanB

Re: Can't create new pages

Tim Starling-2
On 03/02/11 03:11, Gustaf Josefsson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just installed mediawiki on a new site. I've used it on other
> servers before and never encountered this problem. For some reason,
> i get "Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown
> error.", when i try to enter a new url (/index.php?title=asd). This
> seem to be similar to the problem described here:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Starting_a_new_page#Page_Not_Found_error

<http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=3388bd392b939f43&hl=en>

There's lots of possible causes given in that thread. The most likely
of them seems to be display_errors, you should try switching it off in
php.ini.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Can't create new pages

Antoine Musso-3
On 02/02/11 17:11, Gustaf Josefsson wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just installed mediawiki on a new site. I've used it on other servers before and never encountered this problem.
> For some reason, i get "Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.", when i try to enter a new url (/index.php?title=asd). This seem to be similar to the problem described here:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Starting_a_new_page#Page_Not_Found_error
>
> I cannot for the life of me figured out what the problem is. I reinstalled from scratch, without any customizations, so this has to be a server config problem. It's not my server, but my guess it that it probably something I can fix by changing some php option in my .htaccess.
>
> Anyone have a good idea?
>
> My site is at: http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/

For some reason, the edit link returns pure HTML but mark it as encoded
with gzip. This confuse the browser which is expecting gzipped content.
I reproduce it in both Safari and Firefox. IE might be able to guess it.

$ curl -I -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR'
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 22:32:55 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_fastcgi/FSDATA-1.1
mod_jk/1.1.0 Embperl/2.0b8 mod_perl/1.29 PHP/4.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.28
OpenSSL/0.9.8b

I have noticed a strange character at the top of the output:

curl -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR' | hexdump -C
00000000  0a 3c 21 44 4f 43 54 59  50 45 20 68 74 6d |.<!DOCTYPE htm|
           ^^^^^

Not really helpful, but at least it gives the cause.

--
Ashar Voultoiz

Re: Can't create new pages

Platonides
Ashar Voultoiz wrote:

> On 02/02/11 17:11, Gustaf Josefsson wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I just installed mediawiki on a new site. I've used it on other servers before and never encountered this problem.
>> For some reason, i get "Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.", when i try to enter a new url (/index.php?title=asd). This seem to be similar to the problem described here:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Starting_a_new_page#Page_Not_Found_error
>>
>> I cannot for the life of me figured out what the problem is. I reinstalled from scratch, without any customizations, so this has to be a server config problem. It's not my server, but my guess it that it probably something I can fix by changing some php option in my .htaccess.
>>
>> Anyone have a good idea?
>>
>> My site is at: http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/
>
> For some reason, the edit link returns pure HTML but mark it as encoded
> with gzip. This confuse the browser which is expecting gzipped content.
> I reproduce it in both Safari and Firefox. IE might be able to guess it.
>
> $ curl -I -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
> 'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR'
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 22:32:55 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_fastcgi/FSDATA-1.1
> mod_jk/1.1.0 Embperl/2.0b8 mod_perl/1.29 PHP/4.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.28
> OpenSSL/0.9.8b
>
> I have noticed a strange character at the top of the output:
>
> curl -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
> 'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR' | hexdump -C
> 00000000  0a 3c 21 44 4f 43 54 59  50 45 20 68 74 6d |.<!DOCTYPE htm|
>            ^^^^^
>
> Not really helpful, but at least it gives the cause.

However, the Main Page is delivered compressed without errors.
Check the files for a that newline before the <?php Have you tried to
manual edit any of them?
Although I find strange that a new line breaks the gziping process but
doesn't also fail the header() call.

Getting more spam

2007@gmaskfx.com
I'm still getting the occasional spam.. I've looked over the media-wiki website extensions.. Are there any better captcha's than the math question one? The spam bots seem to understand both versions of that one.

Re: Can't create new pages

Gustaf Josefsson

On 2 feb 2011, at 22.59, Tim Starling wrote:

> On 03/02/11 03:11, Gustaf Josefsson wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I just installed mediawiki on a new site. I've used it on other
>> servers before and never encountered this problem. For some reason,
>> i get "Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown
>> error.", when i try to enter a new url (/index.php?title=asd). This
>> seem to be similar to the problem described here:
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Starting_a_new_page#Page_Not_Found_error
>
> <http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=3388bd392b939f43&hl=en>
>
> There's lots of possible causes given in that thread. The most likely
> of them seems to be display_errors, you should try switching it off in
> php.ini.
>
> -- Tim Starling

I don't have the option of changing php.ini, but i'm able to override through .htaccess
I added this to .htaccess:
php_flag display_errors off

With no change :(

On 3 feb 2011, at 00.50, Platonides wrote:

> Ashar Voultoiz wrote:
>> On 02/02/11 17:11, Gustaf Josefsson wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I just installed mediawiki on a new site. I've used it on other servers before and never encountered this problem.
>>> For some reason, i get "Error 330 (net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED): Unknown error.", when i try to enter a new url (/index.php?title=asd). This seem to be similar to the problem described here:
>>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help_talk:Starting_a_new_page#Page_Not_Found_error
>>>
>>> I cannot for the life of me figured out what the problem is. I reinstalled from scratch, without any customizations, so this has to be a server config problem. It's not my server, but my guess it that it probably something I can fix by changing some php option in my .htaccess.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a good idea?
>>>
>>> My site is at: http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/
>>
>> For some reason, the edit link returns pure HTML but mark it as encoded
>> with gzip. This confuse the browser which is expecting gzipped content.
>> I reproduce it in both Safari and Firefox. IE might be able to guess it.
>>
>> $ curl -I -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
>> 'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR'
>> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 22:32:55 GMT
>> Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_fastcgi/FSDATA-1.1
>> mod_jk/1.1.0 Embperl/2.0b8 mod_perl/1.29 PHP/4.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.28
>> OpenSSL/0.9.8b
>>
>> I have noticed a strange character at the top of the output:
>>
>> curl -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
>> 'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR' | hexdump -C
>> 00000000  0a 3c 21 44 4f 43 54 59  50 45 20 68 74 6d |.<!DOCTYPE htm|
>>           ^^^^^
>>
>> Not really helpful, but at least it gives the cause.
>
> However, the Main Page is delivered compressed without errors.
> Check the files for a that newline before the <?php Have you tried to
> manual edit any of them?
> Although I find strange that a new line breaks the gziping process but
> doesn't also fail the header() call.

It does seem strange that no-one else has this problem.
This is an account on one of sweden's largest hosting provider, so I can't imagine there being something special with their setup.

Can anyone else reproduce this on a fresh install of the latest version (mediawiki-1.16.2)?

/ g

[guff]
Gustaf Josefsson
Entreprenör, inspiratör och expert på allt.
[hidden email]
0709-854979

- Sveriges mest kreativa problemlösare -
www.entreprenorsjakten.se

Re: Getting more spam

Alex Zaddach
On 2/2/2011 7:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm still getting the occasional spam.. I've looked over the
> media-wiki website extensions.. Are there any better captcha's than
> the math question one? The spam bots seem to understand both versions
> of that one.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit lists the available
captcha types.

--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)

Re: Getting more spam

2007@gmaskfx.com
Okay, cool.. I want to use ReCaptcha but after downloading the most recent snapshot I don't see the reCaptcha.php file in there?

On 03/02/11 09:39, Ashar Voultoiz wrote:

> For some reason, the edit link returns pure HTML but mark it as encoded
> with gzip. This confuse the browser which is expecting gzipped content.
> I reproduce it in both Safari and Firefox. IE might be able to guess it.
>
> $ curl -I -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
> 'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR'
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 22:32:55 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_fastcgi/FSDATA-1.1
> mod_jk/1.1.0 Embperl/2.0b8 mod_perl/1.29 PHP/4.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.28
> OpenSSL/0.9.8b
>
> I have noticed a strange character at the top of the output:
>
> curl -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
> 'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR' | hexdump -C
> 00000000  0a 3c 21 44 4f 43 54 59  50 45 20 68 74 6d |.<!DOCTYPE htm|
>            ^^^^^
>
> Not really helpful, but at least it gives the cause.

That's a line break. It's not really that strange, you're allowed to
have line breaks at the top of HTML documents.

The strange thing is the rest of the body. The body of the MediaWiki
response has been removed and replaced with an advertisement for
fsdata.se, masquerading as an error page. Instead of removing the
headers from MediaWiki, it has appended to them, so for instance there
are two X-Powered-By headers. The replacement was presumably triggered
by the 404 error code which MediaWiki gives in this case.

The solution is to switch to a hosting provider that doesn't mangle
your output. Or failing that, comment out the 404 header in MediaWiki.
It's somewhere around line 1281 in includes/Article.php. You want to
change this:

$wgRequest->response()->header( "HTTP/1.x 404 Not Found" );

To this:

// LOCAL PATCH
// Removed because it breaks on fsdata.se

Gustaf Josefsson wrote:
> I don't have the option of changing php.ini, but i'm able to override through .htaccess
> I added this to .htaccess:
> php_flag display_errors off
>
> With no change :(

Yeah, sorry for not doing a full analysis the first time around.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Getting more spam

2007@gmaskfx.com
Ah nevermind I wasn't downloading the trunk version

> > I'm still getting the occasional spam.. I've looked
> over the
> > media-wiki website extensions.. Are there any better
> captcha's than
> > the math question one? The spam bots seem to
> understand both versions
> > of that one.
> >

> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit
> lists the available
> captcha types.
>
> --
> Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)

reCaptcha

2007@gmaskfx.com
I want to configure reCaptcha so that anonymous user trigger on any edit and Users trigger it when the add URLs but right now it appears I can't configure those two differently?

Re: reCaptcha

Benjamin Lees
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I want to configure reCaptcha so that anonymous user trigger on any edit and Users trigger it when the add URLs but right now it appears I can't configure those two differently?

Yes, I believe so.  At some point someone should probably rewrite the
permissions system for ConfirmEdit to be more granular (at the very
least, the skipcaptcha right ought to work on a per-trigger basis).

Re: Can't create new pages

Gustaf Josefsson

On 3 feb 2011, at 04.17, Tim Starling wrote:

> On 03/02/11 09:39, Ashar Voultoiz wrote:
>> For some reason, the edit link returns pure HTML but mark it as encoded
>> with gzip. This confuse the browser which is expecting gzipped content.
>> I reproduce it in both Safari and Firefox. IE might be able to guess it.
>>
>> $ curl -I -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
>> 'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR'
>> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
>> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 22:32:55 GMT
>> Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_fastcgi/FSDATA-1.1
>> mod_jk/1.1.0 Embperl/2.0b8 mod_perl/1.29 PHP/4.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.28
>> OpenSSL/0.9.8b
>>
>> I have noticed a strange character at the top of the output:
>>
>> curl -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip'
>> 'http://www.incrediblemusicmachine.se/index.php?title=FOOBAR' | hexdump -C
>> 00000000  0a 3c 21 44 4f 43 54 59  50 45 20 68 74 6d |.<!DOCTYPE htm|
>>           ^^^^^
>>
>> Not really helpful, but at least it gives the cause.
>
> That's a line break. It's not really that strange, you're allowed to
> have line breaks at the top of HTML documents.
>
> The strange thing is the rest of the body. The body of the MediaWiki
> response has been removed and replaced with an advertisement for
> fsdata.se, masquerading as an error page. Instead of removing the
> headers from MediaWiki, it has appended to them, so for instance there
> are two X-Powered-By headers. The replacement was presumably triggered
> by the 404 error code which MediaWiki gives in this case.
>
> The solution is to switch to a hosting provider that doesn't mangle
> your output. Or failing that, comment out the 404 header in MediaWiki.
> It's somewhere around line 1281 in includes/Article.php. You want to
> change this:
>
> $wgRequest->response()->header( "HTTP/1.x 404 Not Found" );
>
> To this:
>
> // LOCAL PATCH
> // Removed because it breaks on fsdata.se
> // $wgRequest->response()->header( "HTTP/1.x 404 Not Found" );
>
> Gustaf Josefsson wrote:
>> I don't have the option of changing php.ini, but i'm able to override through .htaccess
>> I added this to .htaccess:
>> php_flag display_errors off
>>
>> With no change :(
>
> Yeah, sorry for not doing a full analysis the first time around.
>
> -- Tim Starling

That works.

But, it does seem like an ugly hack? Isn't there any way to do this by changing .htaccess?
ErrorDocument 404 Default
doesn't work. Any other ideas?

FSDATA can't be the only hosting provider out there who override it's users 404 page. I would like to figure this out and document it properly (since I spent hours on mediawiki.org before mailing here).

On 03/02/11 20:08, Gustaf Josefsson wrote:
> But, it does seem like an ugly hack?

It's not that ugly. The 404 header was only introduced in MediaWiki
1.14, you're just reverting to the 1.13 behaviour, which worked well
enough for many years. See bug 2585 for a discussion.

> Isn't there any way to do this
> by changing .htaccess? ErrorDocument 404 Default doesn't work. Any
> other ideas?

Without any source code or documentation, we can only speculate. The
fact that the implementation is faulty tells you that this is a hack
applied by fsdata.se, it's not part of Apache. I doubt they would have
bothered adding configuration code.

> FSDATA can't be the only hosting provider out there who override
> it's users 404 page. I would like to figure this out and document
> it properly (since I spent hours on mediawiki.org before mailing
> here).

It's the first time I've heard of it. I would expect most providers to
just use ErrorDocument, not to write their own Apache module.

-- Tim Starling

Re: reCaptcha

2007@gmaskfx.com
Here are the settings I'm using.. as far as I can tell there is no way to assign different triggers to different types of users..it's either all or nothing.

$wgCaptchaTriggers['edit']          = false;
$wgCaptchaTriggers['create']        = false;
$wgCaptchaTriggers['addurl']        = true;
$wgCaptchaTriggers['createaccount'] = true;
$wgCaptchaTriggers['badlogin']      = true;

$wgGroupPermissions['*'            ]['skipcaptcha'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user'         ]['skipcaptcha'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['autoconfirmed']['skipcaptcha'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['bot'          ]['skipcaptcha'] = true; // registered bots
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop'        ]['skipcaptcha'] = true;

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I want to configure reCaptcha so that anonymous user
> trigger on any edit and Users trigger it when the add URLs
> but right now it appears I can't configure those two
> differently?
>
> Yes, I believe so.  At some point someone should
> probably rewrite the
> permissions system for ConfirmEdit to be more granular (at
> the very
> least, the skipcaptcha right ought to work on a per-trigger
> basis).

Re: reCaptcha

2007@gmaskfx.com
Arghh.. it seems reCaptcha is worse than just having the math question