Quantcast

Can't find certain UI strings

Michael Bauer
I probably (should) know the answer but for the life of me, I cannot find certain high-viz UI strings to translate, in particular in the column beneath the Wikipedia logo when just browsing the English Wikipedia:
Contents
Featured content
Interaction

Now here's the thing though - those items do not occur in the Gaelic Uicipeid i.e. https://gd.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C3%AComh-Dhuilleag has no menu item for
Contents
Featured content
(adding image but not sure if it will come through)

but (perhaps because I use a Gaelic browser) the *English* Wikipedia UI has (for as long as I can remember been in Gaelic, mostly), i.e. even on the English Wikipedia, it currently says
Wikipedia
The Freen Enc
Prìomh dhuilleag
Contents
Featured content
Cùisean an latha
etc etc

Are there UI items that simply do no appear for translation in all languages?

Cheers

Michael

Re: Can't find certain UI strings

Amir E. Aharoni
The sidebar is heavily customized on many Wikimedia projects using the very special "MediaWiki:Sidebar" message.

For the English Wikipedia, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Sidebar .

For the user's manual, which is way more complex than anybody would expect it to be, see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interface/Sidebar

Hope it helps!

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

[...]

Ah that makes total sense, thanks!

Michael

Sgrìobh Amir E. Aharoni na leanas 20/02/2017 aig 13:07:
The sidebar is heavily customized on many Wikimedia projects using the very special "MediaWiki:Sidebar" message.

For the English Wikipedia, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Sidebar .

For the user's manual, which is way more complex than anybody would expect it to be, see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interface/Sidebar

Hope it helps!

Re: Can't find certain UI strings

Mormegil

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I probably (should) know the answer but for the life of me, I cannot find certain high-viz UI strings to translate, in particular in the column beneath the Wikipedia logo when just browsing the English Wikipedia:
Contents
Featured content
Interaction

probably useful to know: If you append ?uselang=qqx (setting the UI language to a special code qqx), you’ll see all message identifiers. E.g. when visiting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=qqx you’d see the sidebar menu items are rendered using messages “contents”, “featuredcontent”, and “interaction”. (However, as Amir already noted, those are local customizations on enwiki, so you’d need to translate them locally as well, by asking a local sysop to put the translations in the MediaWiki namespace.)

HTH,
-- [[ cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec ]]

Re: Can't find certain UI strings

Michael Bauer
Ooohh neat I must remember that!

Thanks!

Michael

Sgrìobh Petr Kadlec na leanas 20/02/2017 aig 15:05: