Can't maintain all your tools in the long run? Get more people in!

Can't maintain all your tools in the long run? Get more people in!

Silke Meyer
Hi all!

When it comes to the question of migrating tools to Tool Labs, some of you might notice that you don't have the amount of time needed for maintenance that you had earlier. WMDE offered to help you with the actual migration but we can't maintain abandoned tools in the long run. For migration support, contact me!

Note that in Tool Labs *every* tool is a multi-maintainer project! This shall make it easier for you to bring others in. On the toolserver you can add a ticket in Jira to request for your project to become an MMP, so others can join you before migration and help with it.

Best, Silke

--
Silke Meyer
Internes IT-Management und Projektmanagement Toolserver

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: Can't maintain all your tools in the long run? Get more people in!

MZMcBride-2
Silke Meyer wrote:
> When it comes to the question of migrating tools to Tool Labs, some of
>you might notice that you don't have the amount of time needed for
>maintenance that you had earlier. WMDE offered to help you with the
>actual migration but we can't maintain abandoned tools in the long run.
>For migration support, contact me!

Any really important or very popular tools should be made into MediaWiki
extensions or put in MediaWiki core. The Toolserver (and now Tool Labs) is
a good environment for proofs-of-concept, but neither are stable or
well-supported enough for production-like use.

As an example, I deprecated my "watcher" tool by incorporating it into
MediaWiki core's "info" action. Now the maintenance burden is on
MediaWiki's shoulders. :-)

MZMcBride

P.S. https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette