Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Joseph Brick
Trying to set up a local mediawiki server on my Mac (osx 10.4.4).
Installed mediawiki version 1.6.2  to
Library/WebServer/Documents/mediawiki/

Trying to follow this portion of the install instructions with no luck:

"Hop into your browser and surf into the wiki directory.
It'll direct you into the config script."

So I go to http://127.0.0.1/mediawiki/ in my browser, but rather than
being presented with a web page (which I assume would guide me through
setup), I simply see the file listing of that folder. E.g:

AdminSettings.sample
COPYING

etc.

Web sharing is on - for example, if I go to http://127.0.0.1/ I see my
Apache server's default web page.

Any ideas?

Re: Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Rob Church
On 09/04/06, Joseph Brick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trying to set up a local mediawiki server on my Mac (osx 10.4.4).
> Installed mediawiki version 1.6.2  to
> Library/WebServer/Documents/mediawiki/
>
> Trying to follow this portion of the install instructions with no luck:
>
> "Hop into your browser and surf into the wiki directory.
> It'll direct you into the config script."
>
> So I go to http://127.0.0.1/mediawiki/ in my browser, but rather than
> being presented with a web page (which I assume would guide me through
> setup), I simply see the file listing of that folder.

Make sure Apache knows how to handle .php files, and that it knows
index.php is a valid index file for directories. See httpd.conf and
the documentation for pointers.

Rob Church

Re: Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Brion Vibber
Joseph Brick wrote:
> Trying to set up a local mediawiki server on my Mac (osx 10.4.4).
[snip]
> So I go to http://127.0.0.1/mediawiki/ in my browser, but rather than
> being presented with a web page (which I assume would guide me through
> setup), I simply see the file listing of that folder. E.g:

Mac OS X ships with PHP installed, but disabled in the web server. You must
enable the PHP module in the Apache configuration file.

In /etc/http/httpd.conf you will find a line like this:

  #LoadModule php4_module        libexec/httpd/libphp4.so

Remove the "#" from the start of the line to uncomment it, then restart Apache.
(You can do this by unchecking and re-checking 'Personal Web Sharing' in the
Sharing control panel, or running "sudo apachectl restart" in a terminal.)

If I'm looking at the default config file correctly, once PHP is enabled the
index.php should automatically start working. If for some reason it doesn't, you
may need to also add a line like:

  DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Joseph Brick
Hi Brion,

There is no file on my system (according to Finder) called httpd.conf.

> Joseph Brick wrote:
> > Trying to set up a local mediawiki server on my Mac (osx 10.4.4).
> [snip]
> > So I go to http://127.0.0.1/mediawiki/ in my browser, but rather than
> > being presented with a web page (which I assume would guide me through
> > setup), I simply see the file listing of that folder. E.g:
>
> Mac OS X ships with PHP installed, but disabled in the web server. You must
> enable the PHP module in the Apache configuration file.
>
> In /etc/http/httpd.conf you will find a line like this:
>
>   #LoadModule php4_module        libexec/httpd/libphp4.so
>
> Remove the "#" from the start of the line to uncomment it, then restart Apache.
> (You can do this by unchecking and re-checking 'Personal Web Sharing' in the
> Sharing control panel, or running "sudo apachectl restart" in a terminal.)
>
> If I'm looking at the default config file correctly, once PHP is enabled the
> index.php should automatically start working. If for some reason it doesn't, you
> may need to also add a line like:
>
>   DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Joseph Brick
Hi Brion,

So I found the file by drilling down in terminal. (I'm a GUI guy, so
if there is a way to get Finder to find these type of system files,
let me know.)

It turns out that there are TWO lines that you have to remove the
comment (#) from in httpd.conf to enable PHP:

1. The one you pointed out: #LoadModule php4_module

And also:

2. #AddModule mod_php4.c

Also, for any other newbies like me, to edit the httpd.conf file, you
need root access. The "sudo" command gives you temporary root access;
otherwise, when you try to save the file, you'll get "access denied."
Use the following command in Terminal, once in the etc/httpd/ folder:

sudo pico httpd.conf

Edit the two lines, restart the server (by going to Prefs/Sharing and
restarting Personal Web Serving) and you should be good to go.

Thanks Brion!

On 4/8/06, Joseph Brick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Brion,
>
> There is no file on my system (according to Finder) called httpd.conf.
>
> On 4/8/06, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Joseph Brick wrote:
> > > Trying to set up a local mediawiki server on my Mac (osx 10.4.4).
> > [snip]
> > > So I go to http://127.0.0.1/mediawiki/ in my browser, but rather than
> > > being presented with a web page (which I assume would guide me through
> > > setup), I simply see the file listing of that folder. E.g:
> >
> > Mac OS X ships with PHP installed, but disabled in the web server. You must
> > enable the PHP module in the Apache configuration file.
> >
> > In /etc/http/httpd.conf you will find a line like this:
> >
> >   #LoadModule php4_module        libexec/httpd/libphp4.so
> >
> > Remove the "#" from the start of the line to uncomment it, then restart Apache.
> > (You can do this by unchecking and re-checking 'Personal Web Sharing' in the
> > Sharing control panel, or running "sudo apachectl restart" in a terminal.)
> >
> > If I'm looking at the default config file correctly, once PHP is enabled the
> > index.php should automatically start working. If for some reason it doesn't, you
> > may need to also add a line like:
> >
> >   DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
> >
> > -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Erik Mermagen
get this:
http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerToolSys.html
INSANELY handy AND easy to use

On Apr 9, 2006, at 1:16 AM, Joseph Brick wrote:

Hi Brion,

So I found the file by drilling down in terminal. (I'm a GUI guy, so
if there is a way to get Finder to find these type of system files,
let me know.)

It turns out that there are TWO lines that you have to remove the
comment (#) from in httpd.conf to enable PHP:

1. The one you pointed out: #LoadModule php4_module

And also:

2. #AddModule mod_php4.c

Also, for any other newbies like me, to edit the httpd.conf file, you
need root access. The "sudo" command gives you temporary root access;
otherwise, when you try to save the file, you'll get "access denied."
Use the following command in Terminal, once in the etc/httpd/ folder:

sudo pico httpd.conf

Edit the two lines, restart the server (by going to Prefs/Sharing and
restarting Personal Web Serving) and you should be good to go.

Thanks Brion!

On 4/8/06, Joseph Brick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Brion,
>
> There is no file on my system (according to Finder) called httpd.conf.
>
> On 4/8/06, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Joseph Brick wrote:
>>> Trying to set up a local mediawiki server on my Mac (osx 10.4.4).
>> [snip]
>>> So I go to http://127.0.0.1/mediawiki/ in my browser, but rather than
>>> being presented with a web page (which I assume would guide me
>>> through
>>> setup), I simply see the file listing of that folder. E.g:
>>
>> Mac OS X ships with PHP installed, but disabled in the web server.
>> You must
>> enable the PHP module in the Apache configuration file.
>>
>> In /etc/http/httpd.conf you will find a line like this:
>>
>>   #LoadModule php4_module        libexec/httpd/libphp4.so
>>
>> Remove the "#" from the start of the line to uncomment it, then
>> restart Apache.
>> (You can do this by unchecking and re-checking 'Personal Web Sharing'
>> in the
>> Sharing control panel, or running "sudo apachectl restart" in a
>> terminal.)
>>
>> If I'm looking at the default config file correctly, once PHP is
>> enabled the
>> index.php should automatically start working. If for some reason it
>> doesn't, you
>> may need to also add a line like:
>>
>>   DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
>>
>> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Joseph Brick
I'm on the MediaWiki setup web form - for the life of me I can't get
this to talk to the MySQL database I created.(Keep getting "connection
failed" error next to the SQL server host field (containing
"localhost')

If anyone has a detailed walk-through of this process, please send it along.

To me the most unclear part is the difference between the DB user/pwd
and the Superuser account/pwd.

On 4/8/06, Erik Mermagen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> get this:
> http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerToolSys.html
> INSANELY handy AND easy to use
>
> On Apr 9, 2006, at 1:16 AM, Joseph Brick wrote:
>
> Hi Brion,
>
> So I found the file by drilling down in terminal. (I'm a GUI guy, so
> if there is a way to get Finder to find these type of system files,
> let me know.)
>
> It turns out that there are TWO lines that you have to remove the
> comment (#) from in httpd.conf to enable PHP:
>
> 1. The one you pointed out: #LoadModule php4_module
>
> And also:
>
> 2. #AddModule mod_php4.c
>
> Also, for any other newbies like me, to edit the httpd.conf file, you
> need root access. The "sudo" command gives you temporary root access;
> otherwise, when you try to save the file, you'll get "access denied."
> Use the following command in Terminal, once in the etc/httpd/ folder:
>
> sudo pico httpd.conf
>
> Edit the two lines, restart the server (by going to Prefs/Sharing and
> restarting Personal Web Serving) and you should be good to go.
>
> Thanks Brion!
>
> On 4/8/06, Joseph Brick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Brion,
> >
> > There is no file on my system (according to Finder) called httpd.conf.

> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> Mac OS X ships with PHP installed, but disabled in the web server.
> >> You must
> >> enable the PHP module in the Apache configuration file.
> >>
> >> In /etc/http/httpd.conf you will find a line like this:
> >>
> >>   #LoadModule php4_module        libexec/httpd/libphp4.so
> >>
> >> Remove the "#" from the start of the line to uncomment it, then
> >> restart Apache.
> >> (You can do this by unchecking and re-checking 'Personal Web Sharing'
> >> in the
> >> Sharing control panel, or running "sudo apachectl restart" in a
> >> terminal.)
> >>
> >> If I'm looking at the default config file correctly, once PHP is
> >> enabled the
> >> index.php should automatically start working. If for some reason it
> >> doesn't, you
> >> may need to also add a line like:
> >>
> >>   DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
> >>
> >> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Can't see mediawiki site; see folder content listing instead.

Rob Church
On 09/04/06, Joseph Brick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm on the MediaWiki setup web form - for the life of me I can't get
> this to talk to the MySQL database I created.(Keep getting "connection
> failed" error next to the SQL server host field (containing
> "localhost')

Check that mysqld is running. ;)

> To me the most unclear part is the difference between the DB user/pwd
> and the Superuser account/pwd.

Essentially, when it's running, MediaWiki needs to know the username
and password of a MySQL user with SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE
permissions on the named wiki database. This is the "database user".

If that user happens to have full permissions on the database
(allowing it to also create and alter tables, etc.) then that's all
that's needed; MediaWiki can use that account to set up the schema.

If not, then what's needed are the details of a superuser account,
such as root, which *does* have these permissions. This account is
used to create the database (if needed), create the database user (if
needed), and set up the schema. These details aren't retained once the
installation is complete.

Rob Church