Can you make certain property values non-linked for Page types?

Can you make certain property values non-linked for Page types?

Adam Nielsen
Hi all,

I have a property of type Page.  It has a handful of [[Allows
value::X]] options so that only certain values can be specified for the
property.

One of these values is [[Allows value::None]], which currently links to
the [[None]] page.  This isn't very useful, as there are multiple
different properties that all allow use of the "None" value so they
all link to [[None]].

Is it possible to set the property such that all values link to pages
like normal, but if the value "None" is given, that value will appear
without a link (as if the data type was Text)?

I don't want to omit the property for these instances because then
there is no way to tell between a missing property and a property that
has been researched and intentionally set to None.

To give some background, the property is recording the type of physical
connector on a device.  "None" is used when the connector is not
present, as opposed to the property being missing entirely when that
device has not been fully researched yet.

Is this possible, or will I just have to create [[None]] and explain
that it could mean the absence of many different things?

Thanks,
Adam.

Re: Can you make certain property values non-linked for Page types?

chris tharp-2
Hi Adam,

I'm assuming you're having the person entering the data via Semantic Form. If that's the case I'm thinking one of the easiest ways to do what you want is just write a conditional inside the template. For example:

Value Name: {{#ifeq: None |{{{values}}} |None [[Property Name::None| ]] | [[Property Name::{{{values}}}]] }}

Now if someone enters None as the value via the Semantic Form the property will be recorded, but no link will show on the page. However it will say None if someone is reading the page. Anyways some type of conditional should be able to do the job for you by suppressing the link by using the pipe | on the value you don't need to show.

Hopefully that makes sense to you.

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 20, 2016, at 1:48 AM, Adam Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a property of type Page.  It has a handful of [[Allows
> value::X]] options so that only certain values can be specified for the
> property.
>
> One of these values is [[Allows value::None]], which currently links to
> the [[None]] page.  This isn't very useful, as there are multiple
> different properties that all allow use of the "None" value so they
> all link to [[None]].
>
> Is it possible to set the property such that all values link to pages
> like normal, but if the value "None" is given, that value will appear
> without a link (as if the data type was Text)?
>
> I don't want to omit the property for these instances because then
> there is no way to tell between a missing property and a property that
> has been researched and intentionally set to None.
>
> To give some background, the property is recording the type of physical
> connector on a device.  "None" is used when the connector is not
> present, as opposed to the property being missing entirely when that
> device has not been fully researched yet.
>
> Is this possible, or will I just have to create [[None]] and explain
> that it could mean the absence of many different things?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam.

Re: Can you make certain property values non-linked for Page types?

Adam Nielsen
Thanks for your reply!

> I'm assuming you're having the person entering the data via Semantic Form. If that's the case I'm thinking one of the easiest ways to do what you want is just write a conditional inside the template. For example:
>
> Value Name: {{#ifeq: None |{{{values}}} |None [[Property Name::None| ]] | [[Property Name::{{{values}}}]] }}

Sorry I should have explained the link is appearing in #ask query
results as well, which I have used to display lists (in table form) on
a number of pages.

I believe the above solution would only affect the source page, and the
word "None" would still be linked in query results?  If so, is there a
way to suppress that link as well, but only for the word "None"?

Cheers,
Adam.

Re: Can you make certain property values non-linked for Page types?

Fannon
The real problem behind this is the fact, that you can't query for the
absence of a property, right? I've been running into that, too.

Sadly, I've found no better solution than your own, too.

> Thanks for your reply!
>
> > I'm assuming you're having the person entering the data via Semantic
> Form. If that's the case I'm thinking one of the easiest ways to do what
> you want is just write a conditional inside the template. For example:
> >
> > Value Name: {{#ifeq: None |{{{values}}} |None [[Property Name::None| ]]
> | [[Property Name::{{{values}}}]] }}
>
> Sorry I should have explained the link is appearing in #ask query
> results as well, which I have used to display lists (in table form) on
> a number of pages.
>
> I believe the above solution would only affect the source page, and the
> word "None" would still be linked in query results?  If so, is there a
> way to suppress that link as well, but only for the word "None"?
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Re: Can you make certain property values non-linked for Page types?

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Adam,

What you're asking about is not doable technically. However, it might not
be the ideal solution anyway.

If I understand your data structure, this is a field for the type of
connector - but "None" doesn't mean that there's no connector type, it
means that there's no connector at all. So what I would suggest is to have
a separate template parameter/property - probably of type Boolean -
indicating whether there's a connector. And if you're using a form, you
could even go an extra step of having a checkbox for the "Has connector"
field, which uses "show on select" to only show the dropdown if the user
clicks on the checkbox.

-Yaron

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Adam Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply!
>
> > I'm assuming you're having the person entering the data via Semantic
> Form. If that's the case I'm thinking one of the easiest ways to do what
> you want is just write a conditional inside the template. For example:
> >
> > Value Name: {{#ifeq: None |{{{values}}} |None [[Property Name::None| ]]
> | [[Property Name::{{{values}}}]] }}
>
> Sorry I should have explained the link is appearing in #ask query
> results as well, which I have used to display lists (in table form) on
> a number of pages.
>
> I believe the above solution would only affect the source page, and the
> word "None" would still be linked in query results?  If so, is there a
> way to suppress that link as well, but only for the word "None"?
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Re: Can you make certain property values non-linked for Page types?

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Perhaps you can use format=template and build the table with the template (and intro- and outrotemplate).
In the query you use link=none so that none of the values have links. Then in the template you make it a link if the value is not 'None'.

Ad

> Op 20 mrt. 2016, om 20:27 heeft Adam Nielsen <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
>> I'm assuming you're having the person entering the data via Semantic Form. If that's the case I'm thinking one of the easiest ways to do what you want is just write a conditional inside the template. For example:
>>
>> Value Name: {{#ifeq: None |{{{values}}} |None [[Property Name::None| ]] | [[Property Name::{{{values}}}]] }}
>
> Sorry I should have explained the link is appearing in #ask query
> results as well, which I have used to display lists (in table form) on
> a number of pages.
>
> I believe the above solution would only affect the source page, and the
> word "None" would still be linked in query results?  If so, is there a
> way to suppress that link as well, but only for the word "None"?
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Re: Can you make certain property values non-linked for Page types?

Adam Nielsen
Thanks everyone for the replies!

> Yaron Koren wrote:
>
> What you're asking about is not doable technically. However, it might not
> be the ideal solution anyway.
>
> If I understand your data structure, this is a field for the type of
> connector - but "None" doesn't mean that there's no connector type, it
> means that there's no connector at all. So what I would suggest is to have
> a separate template parameter/property - probably of type Boolean -
> indicating whether there's a connector. And if you're using a form, you
> could even go an extra step of having a checkbox for the "Has connector"
> field, which uses "show on select" to only show the dropdown if the user
> clicks on the checkbox.

That's true, I guess technically there should be an extra boolean
value.  But then you can also argue that you can reconstruct that
boolean at any time by comparing the property value to "None", so I'm
not sure which is better, given that the boolean value would only be
used for the presentation of the results in this case.

I'm guessing this would also mean I'd have to add a second column to
the #ask table so you can see both the boolean value and the
property value, otherwise you wouldn't know if the property value is
missing or none, so that will mean extra table columns taking up space.

> Ad Strack van Schijndel wrote:
>
> Perhaps you can use format=template and build the table with the
> template (and intro- and outrotemplate). In the query you use
> link=none so that none of the values have links. Then in the template
> you make it a link if the value is not 'None'.

That's an interesting idea.  It will mean the #ask query becomes
considerably more complex though, but sounds like it's the only sure
way to solve the problem.

Cheers,
Adam.