Candidacy to the board of WMF

Florence Devouard-2

Dear community members,

Though it was a (very) difficult decision to make, I have decided not to
be a candidate to the coming elections of the board of trustees of
Wikimedia  Foundation as a community representative.

After four years on the board, and over one year and a half as its
chair, I observe that the organization has matured a lot.

In 2004 the Wikimedia Foundation was a tiny organization (total expenses
23 000 dollars) set up and led by Jimmy, running three servers from
remote Florida and hosting projects with frequent denial of services due
to unsufficient technical support, Wikimedia has now grown into a six
million dollars organization, operating over 300 servers, led by an
accountable board, with a new office in San Francisco and a staff of 15.
Operations are now guided by a brand new mission statement, with defined
values, procedures, policies, and charters. Fully independently audited,
the Wikimedia Foundation receive the  financial support of thousand of
small donors, as well as support from commercial companies and major
foundations.

Wikimania, our annual conference was first held in 2005, one year after
I joined the board. Wikimania then travelled from Frankfurt to Boston,
Taipei, and Egypt, with the great honor of being hosted by the New
Library of Alexandria this year.

In the past four years, new projects were started (eg, Wikimedia
Commons, Wikinews). Wikipedia rose from rank 500 in october 2004 to rank
8 in october 2007 of most popular websites in the world. As of April
2008, Wikipedia attracts 683 million visitors annually, reading over 10
millions articles in 253 languages. Other projects are thriving and made
available in more and more languages every year (eg, Wikibooks,
Wiktionary etc…). All Wikimedia projects are now freely available
worldwide on the internet with an excellent quality of service.

Those are fantastic, tremendous achievements!

I am proud I was part of it.

Of course, all this was not my own doing, but was made possible by the
dedication of all board members, of previous and current staff members,
contractors, and most of all, of community volunteers. Good job, everyone!

I want to thank the 2004 voters, who elected me to participate at the
organization level, and the 2005 voters, who confirmed me on the board
for two additional years. My nomination as chair in 2006 and renewal in
2007 was probably more a stroke of luck :-) I was given the difficult
task to help Wikimedia to mature from a Founder-led group to a mature
organization with a dual board/executive set-up, various policies and
procedures, as well as controls to prevent or limit damages. In short, I
had a position of interim chair :-) The 2007 board trusted me to
stabilize the transition to the new Executive Director. Twenty months
later, I consider the job done. The disappearance of the previously
recurring question "but what if Jimbo is hit by a bus this morning ?" is
in itself a sufficient sign :-) The organization is more solid than it
has ever been.

I would like to offer a special "thank you" note to Jan-Bart, the
vice-chair, for the highly valuable work on the board. Jan-Bart is one
of these “outsiders”, that some think should not be on the board. I
could not disagree more. Outsiders may share our values deeply, bring
expertise that does not exist within the active community, and provide
an external view sometimes very refreshing on our in-house debates.

Building an organization that could accompany the exponential growth of
the Wikimedia projects was, as you can imagine, quite a challenge, and
did not always go without tensions. I read with much attention the
community petition started after the board reorganization announcement.
It would be a serious misconception to imagine that board members always
fully agree on what is decided by the board as a whole. Board members
can (and do) disagree. Sometimes, no decision is made because there are
irreconcilable factions. But often, they agree to a compromise, so that
a needed collective decision can be made. Directions are not set in
stone and it will be the responsibility of the next board to deal with
the future. Various trends are showing up right now, as pointed out in
the petition or by various emails to this list.

After the decision over reorganization of the board, I was placed in a
rather impossible situation. New blood is highly necessary to the board,
but the unique position opened to an elected community representative
places me in direct competition with these new, “third” generation
leaders currently being candidates. If three positions had been opened,
it would have been an entirely different matter, but this one position
truly deserves to go to a brand new member, with fresh energy and ideas.
I wish the candidates all the best of luck. The new board member can
count on my support to welcome him or her after the elections, during
our roughly 2 weeks of overlapping presence on the board.

Though I will reduce my participation, I will certainly not quit the
projects. My heart is dedicated to them and to our love of knowledge. I
intend to keep on “thinking global”, even if I act more “local”. Since
my first days on the projects (February 2002), my focus has been on
transparency, volunteer involvement, decentralization, bottom-up
decision making, and love for cultural and linguistic diversity. I will
stay available to share my time and energy with those who are, with
pride but modesty, supporting our projects as well as their values. An
organization is at the service of a cause, and the primary interest and
focus of its members should not be the organization itself, but its
mission and, even more important, the vision behind the mission and the
values shared between all members. Our vision should be our credo, day
after day: bringing knowledge to every single human being on Earth.

Love

Anthere / Florence Devouard

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Majorly
2008/5/19 Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>:

> Dear community members,
>

> Though it was a (very) difficult decision to make, I have decided not to
> be a candidate to the coming elections of the board of trustees of
> Wikimedia  Foundation as a community representative.

Anthere - thank you for your hard work these past four years. It really is a
great achievement, you should be very proud. Good luck in your future
activities, on and off wiki!

Kind regards,

--
Alex Newman
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Kat Walsh-4
Florence,

Thank you for everything.

Your commitment to doing the right thing by and for the Wikimedia
communities, to the values of the projects, to treating others with
fairness, kindness, and respect, to integrity, to sharing what you
know and what you love, and your many hours of holding things
together, have made Wikimedia a better place.  You've helped take us
from an organization held together with duct tape and hope to one held
together with a real structure, operations, international presence...
*and* duct tape and hope. I will be sorry to see you leave the board,
and hope that everyone you work with in the future appreciates the
heart and the energy you put in to what you do.

Cheers and many thanks,
Kat

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> projects. My heart is dedicated to them and to our love of knowledge. I
> intend to keep on "thinking global", even if I act more "local". Since
> my first days on the projects (February 2002), my focus has been on
> transparency, volunteer involvement, decentralization, bottom-up
> decision making, and love for cultural and linguistic diversity. I will
> stay available to share my time and energy with those who are, with
> pride but modesty, supporting our projects as well as their values. An
> organization is at the service of a cause, and the primary interest and
> focus of its members should not be the organization itself, but its
> mission and, even more important, the vision behind the mission and the
> values shared between all members. Our vision should be our credo, day
> after day: bringing knowledge to every single human being on Earth.

Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: [hidden email] * Personal: [hidden email]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage * (G)AIM:Mindspillage
mindspillage or mind|wandering on irc.freenode.net * email for phone

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Birgitte_sb

> [...]
> been on
> transparency, volunteer involvement, decentralization,
> bottom-up
> decision making, and love for cultural and linguistic
> diversity. I will
> stay available to share my time and energy with those who
> are, with
> pride but modesty, supporting our projects as well as their
> values. An
> organization is at the service of a cause, and the primary
> interest and
> focus of its members should not be the organization itself,
> but its
> mission and, even more important, the vision behind the
> mission and the
> values shared between all members. Our vision should be our
> credo, day
> after day: bringing knowledge to every single human being

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
When you were up for elections the first time, I asked around who to vote
for. Your name was given to me and I voted for you. I voted for you again
and was ready to vote for you again. Now I am happy for all the great work
that you have done. I really appreciate your dedication in an environment
that is not easy.

Anthere thank you.. it will be hard for new people to continue from where
you leave it to others but then the challenges ahead will be different
because the organisation, the movement is different, matured. I am sure that
new people will rise to the challenge and I trust that your work will
continue to be done.

I wish you well and I hope we will meet again and again and again. :)
      Gerard

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

KIZU Naoko
Thank you for all your work, energy and courage, including letting us
your decision. It would be hard to decide, and because of that, I'll
appreciate your announcement.

You've been exactly What Wikimedia is, for years. At least for me, so.
I appreciate your involvement to the community, your openness, as well
as effort and passion to outreach. Your commitment to Wikimedia will
be remembered as long as we remain, and pursue our missions.

May your local activities fruitful as well as your long year
international ones at Wikimedia Board. Geolocational limitation
doesn't matter universality: the more individual we are, the more
universal we could be. So keep being Florence who we've known wherever
you go.

* hug *

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> projects. My heart is dedicated to them and to our love of knowledge. I
> intend to keep on "thinking global", even if I act more "local". Since
> my first days on the projects (February 2002), my focus has been on
> transparency, volunteer involvement, decentralization, bottom-up
> decision making, and love for cultural and linguistic diversity. I will
> stay available to share my time and energy with those who are, with
> pride but modesty, supporting our projects as well as their values. An
> organization is at the service of a cause, and the primary interest and
> focus of its members should not be the organization itself, but its
> mission and, even more important, the vision behind the mission and the
> values shared between all members. Our vision should be our credo, day
> after day: bringing knowledge to every single human being on Earth.

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Effe iets anders
Dear Florence,

I am very sorry to hear the final decision you have made. I know this
must have been a hard one, and I am truely grateful for your work for
the Wikimedia Movement. Not only have you been active in the
Foundation, but you have been a face of us all to the outside world,
and represented us in many occasions. At least for as far as I can
see, you have been a Community Representative in the true sense of the
word, trying to be a bridge between the broad community of users and
the Foundation. You have been the board member that asked the
community for input over the years, and gave at least me the feeling
that we were involved and wanted, even though you were also sometimes
the messenger of somewhat less pleasant news. We can only hope that
your successor will be as competent, involved, communicating and
motivated as you were.

Many things have changed during the period of time you were in the
Board as a representative, and many crises have come and gone. I think
an applause is more then appropriate.

Lodewijk

2008/5/19 Aphaia <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> projects. My heart is dedicated to them and to our love of knowledge. I
>> intend to keep on "thinking global", even if I act more "local". Since
>> my first days on the projects (February 2002), my focus has been on
>> transparency, volunteer involvement, decentralization, bottom-up
>> decision making, and love for cultural and linguistic diversity. I will
>> stay available to share my time and energy with those who are, with
>> pride but modesty, supporting our projects as well as their values. An
>> organization is at the service of a cause, and the primary interest and
>> focus of its members should not be the organization itself, but its
>> mission and, even more important, the vision behind the mission and the
>> values shared between all members. Our vision should be our credo, day
>> after day: bringing knowledge to every single human being on Earth.

Brianna Laugher
2008/5/19 Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>:
> I want to thank the 2004 voters, who elected me to participate at the
> organization level, and the 2005 voters, who confirmed me on the board
> for two additional years. My nomination as chair in 2006 and renewal in
> 2007 was probably more a stroke of luck :-)

No such luck - unless you mean luck of the "the harder I work, the
luckier I get" kind. More like remarkable prescience for which many
are grateful.

Should that the next stroke of luck strike us half as lucky as we were
with you, Florence.

best regards,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Ilario Valdelli
Unhappy to hear your decision (but I knew that it was under evaluation).

Thank you for your job most of all because it has been a very
courageous work, and after because it has been an honest, unbiased,
respectful work.

The community chooses their leaders without votation and imposition
and IMHO you still remain "a leader" and a "North Star" in our
sailing.

Ilario

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Though it was a (very) difficult decision to make, I have decided not to
> be a candidate to the coming elections of the board of trustees of
> Wikimedia  Foundation as a community representative.

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Thomas Dalton
Florence,

You've worked tirelessly and skilfully for a long time and have done
more for Wikimedia than anyone could have asked. It has long been a
comfort to me knowing that you were there in board meetings and I
could trust you to do the right thing. You've always understood what
we're here to do and never stopped striving to achieve that. I hope
whoever replaces you as chair and whoever replaces you as board member
can learn from your excellent example and take the foundation forward
to the next stage. For you, I think it's time for a well-deserved
rest!

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

Tango

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Jan-Bart de Vreede-2
Dear Florence (& All)

Although the other posts in this thread really say it all, I want to add
my 2 cents :)

After having served on the Wikimedia board for the past 18 months it is
clear to me that your energy and dedication to the projects and
community of the organisation is incredible. Even during my relatively
short period on the board we have had our ups and downs, but your
continued energy always made it clear that this was a cause worth
fighting for. You taught me a lot about looking "through the eyes of a
community member" and about the core values which all of our projects
stand for.

I hope that the newly elected board member has a similar positive
attitude towards the efforts of the foundation and all that comes with
it :) And I also hope that our new chair(wo)man is as dedicated as you,
although as they say: that is a tough act to follow ;)

Thank you, thank you and thank you !

Jan-Bart

PS: We will of course find a time and place to thank you properly :)

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Cormac Lawler
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:44 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Though it was a (very) difficult decision to make, I have decided not to
> be a candidate to the coming elections of the board of trustees of
> Wikimedia  Foundation as a community representative.

Ohhhh..

Florence - I cannot overstate what a difference you've made to this
community - and to me, personally. In your passionate dedication to the
projects, your tireless quest to move this organisation forward, and, more
than anything else, your profound humanity - you have always been my hero,
and I have absolutely no equivocation about saying that publicly! It was
nothing but a pleasure to work with you in the special projects committee,
and everything else we've overlapped on over the years. I'd like to echo all
that's been said above already, and join Lodewijk in not just a round of
applause, but a standing ovation.

:-) (or should that smiley be the other way round?)

Cormac

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Hay (Husky)
Well, it is very difficult to add anything else to all the other
comments than a very warm thank you and, indeed, a standing ovation.
You have truly been the face of the community and the Wikimedia
movement to both the outside world and the community and you have a
set a fabulous example on how the role of the chair should be filled
in.

Again, thank you!

-- Hay

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:44 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Though it was a (very) difficult decision to make, I have decided not to
>> be a candidate to the coming elections of the board of trustees of
>> Wikimedia  Foundation as a community representative.
>>

> Ohhhh..
>
> Florence - I cannot overstate what a difference you've made to this
> community - and to me, personally. In your passionate dedication to the
> projects, your tireless quest to move this organisation forward, and, more
> than anything else, your profound humanity - you have always been my hero,
> and I have absolutely no equivocation about saying that publicly! It was
> nothing but a pleasure to work with you in the special projects committee,
> and everything else we've overlapped on over the years. I'd like to echo all
> that's been said above already, and join Lodewijk in not just a round of
> applause, but a standing ovation.
>
> :-) (or should that smiley be the other way round?)
>
> Cormac

Re: Candidacy to the board of WMF

Delphine Ménard
>Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> (and a lot of other people) wrote:

[snip a whole lot of important things]

/me sort son post-it.

Je...

Merci.