Cannot edit pages: Fatal Error

FreeAll Support
Hello All!

I have a problem editing any of my wiki pages... it's a whole new wiki
engine, and whenever I try to save a page I get this message:
" Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: searchupdate in
/home/freeall2/public_html/arkana/arkanapedia/includes/Article.php on line
2122"

Thanks ahead!

Peleg.

Re: Cannot edit pages: Fatal Error

Brion Vibber

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Cannot edit pages: Fatal Error

FreeAll Support

I'll try again:

I hope the symptom is clear: I have a problem editing any of my wiki
pages... it's a whole new wiki engine, and whenever I try to save a page I
get this message:
" Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: searchupdate in
/home/freeall2/public_html/arkana/arkanapedia/includes/Article.php on line
2122"

The server is Apache, It's on a host (named: Lunarpages).
I haven't tried to do any research till now, because I don't even know where
to start...

I believe the line 2122 is: "$u = new SearchUpdate( $id, $title, $text );"
And it is in the middle of the paragraph:
                        if ( 0 != $id ) {
                        $u = new LinksUpdate( $id, $title );
                        array_push( $wgDeferredUpdateList, $u );
                        $u = new SiteStatsUpdate( 0, 1,
$this->mGoodAdjustment, $this->mTotalAdjustment );
                        array_push( $wgDeferredUpdateList, $u );
                        $u = new SearchUpdate( $id, $title, $text );
                        array_push( $wgDeferredUpdateList, $u );

Well, I'm sorry I don't really know anything about it, but it's for
non-profit purposes, so I'll be very happy if anyone could help.

And again - Thanks ahead!

FreeAll Support wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I'll try again:

You still haven't provided basic background information such as:
* the URL to your site
* version of MediaWiki
* version of PHP
* version of anything else
* how long it's been installed
* how you installed
* whether it worked before and stopped working, or never worked
* if you've made any customizations to the configuration

> I hope the symptom is clear: I have a problem editing any of my wiki
> pages... it's a whole new wiki engine, and whenever I try to save a page I
> get this message:
> " Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: searchupdate in
> /home/freeall2/public_html/arkana/arkanapedia/includes/Article.php on line
> 2122"

The SearchUpdate class is defined in SearchUpdate.php, which is included from
UpdateClasses.php, which is included from GlobalSettings.php, which is included
long before this code is reached.

So, this shouldn't be possible unless:
* Something's broken
* The code was altered
* There's a bad mix of files from different versions, etc

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Cannot edit pages: Fatal Error

FreeAll Support
The URL: arkana.freeall.org/arkanapedia
It's in Hebrew...

The version of MediaWiki is the latest. I downloaded it this week. 1.5.5, I
think.

Version of PHP - 4.4.1 (according to control panel of the host)
MySQL version - 4.0.25-standard
Apache version - 1.3.34 (Unix)
Operating system   Linux
Kernel version   2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp
Machine Type   i686
PERL version   5.8.4
It's been installed for about a week,
I've done it through the automatic configuration - Uploaded it through FTP,
ran the appropriate file, checked Hebrew and that's about all of it.
It never worked OK.

Now, it finally saves the pages, but only after that message that keeps
coming.

I haven't done any customizations except editing some pages and changing the
logo link at LocalSettings.php

That's about it...

Nothing of what you said doesn't sound right, except from "something
broken"...

Because - I haven't changed any code, and couldn't be any mix cause the
installation is completely new, on a clean server...

Well, Thanks for anything!

Peleg.

-----

FreeAll Support wrote:
> The URL: arkana.freeall.org/arkanapedia
> It's in Hebrew...
>
> The version of MediaWiki is the latest. I downloaded it this week. 1.5.5, I
> think.

1.5.5 is a version behind; the current release is 1.5.6, released January 19.

> Because - I haven't changed any code, and couldn't be any mix cause the
> installation is completely new, on a clean server...

When you say it's "a clean server", what does this mean?

Did you install Linux yourself on it, and know exactly how PHP is configured? Do
you run it yourself, or is it an account on some third-party hosting service?

Are you familiar with its configuration? What's PHP's include_path set to? Is
the override in MediaWiki's config failing? Might it be loading some other file
for this? Have you checked to confirm that the files were all uploaded correctly?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Cannot edit pages: Fatal Error

Tels
Moin,

On Sunday 19 February 2006 01:20, Brion Vibber wrote:

> FreeAll Support wrote:
> > The URL: arkana.freeall.org/arkanapedia
> > It's in Hebrew...
> >
> > The version of MediaWiki is the latest. I downloaded it this week.
> > 1.5.5, I think.
>
> 1.5.5 is a version behind; the current release is 1.5.6, released
> January 19.
>
> > Because - I haven't changed any code, and couldn't be any mix cause
> > the installation is completely new, on a clean server...
>
> When you say it's "a clean server", what does this mean?
>
> Did you install Linux yourself on it, and know exactly how PHP is
> configured? Do you run it yourself, or is it an account on some
> third-party hosting service?
>
> Are you familiar with its configuration? What's PHP's include_path set
> to? Is the override in MediaWiki's config failing? Might it be loading
> some other file for this? Have you checked to confirm that the files
> were all uploaded correctly?
Speaking of that, is there a utility that computes checksums (MD5/SHA1)
over the files?

In Perl packages, you get a SIGNATURE file, which contains a checksum over
each file included in the distribution, maybe it would make sense to add
something like that to MediaWiki. Then after install/upload one could run
maintenance/checksum.php (or .pl) and it check that all files are all
right.

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Sun Feb 19 10:52:47 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "My name is Felicity Shagwell. Shagwell by name, shag very well by
 reputation."

Tels wrote:
> Speaking of that, is there a utility that computes checksums (MD5/SHA1)
> over the files?

You might try the standard Unix utility, "md5sum".

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)