Cantonese WP: Report

M. Williamson
Already, even though it has only existed for a day, the Cantonese
Wikipedia has been full of activity.

Take the main talk page as an example:

http://zh-yue.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page

Already, there are active discussions on:

1) User interface translation
2) Name of the encyclopaedia (Should it be same asthe Mandarin, which
is pronounced in Cantonese as "wai gei", or should it be a more
phonetic Cantonese, like "wik gei"?)
3) Promotion of cantonese wp
4) "Standard Characters" (Hoeng Gong Zi)
5) Subdomain (some people think it's unfair to use zh-yue, and that
just yue should be used instead or such)
6) Getting an admin and making a logo
7) Should it be "Cantonese Wikipedia" or "Yue Wikipedia"
8) Name of main page
9) Allmessages, namespace translation

With such activity in such little time I have no doubt we can expect
phenomenal growth from this new Wikipedia.

Mark

--
"Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Cantonese WP: Report

Wikipedia Romania (Ronline)
That's great news!
I'm just wondering - how were they able to localise the interface so
quickly?
Is it possible to do the same for Romani, since we already have a
partially-translated interface file?

Also, would it possible for Desiphral and I to be given sysop rights on the
Romany Wikipedia, for localisation, and all the necessary admin work that
needs to be done at the beginning of a new Wikipedia.

Thanks,

Ronline

2006/3/26, Mark Williamson <[hidden email]>:

> Already, even though it has only existed for a day, the Cantonese
> Wikipedia has been full of activity.
>
> Take the main talk page as an example:
>
> http://zh-yue.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page
>
> Already, there are active discussions on:
>
> 1) User interface translation
> 2) Name of the encyclopaedia (Should it be same asthe Mandarin, which
> is pronounced in Cantonese as "wai gei", or should it be a more
> phonetic Cantonese, like "wik gei"?)
> 3) Promotion of cantonese wp
> 4) "Standard Characters" (Hoeng Gong Zi)
> 5) Subdomain (some people think it's unfair to use zh-yue, and that
> just yue should be used instead or such)
> 6) Getting an admin and making a logo
> 7) Should it be "Cantonese Wikipedia" or "Yue Wikipedia"
> 8) Name of main page
> 9) Allmessages, namespace translation
>
> With such activity in such little time I have no doubt we can expect
> phenomenal growth from this new Wikipedia.
>
> Mark
>
> --
> "Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin

Re: Cantonese WP: Report

M. Williamson
As far as I know, it's because Jasonzhuocn applied for and recieved
sysop rights at the appropriate page on Meta.

Similar things happened at some of the other new WPs, including nds-nl.

Mark