Category aliasing proposals

Adam Wight-4
Friends,

As part of an investigation into category aliasing (think “theater
directors” vs. “theater directors"), we’ve identified two potential
technical implementations and I’m hoping to get feedback to help us choose
between the proposals, or change course entirely.

For a summary of the problem and solutions, please see
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDE_Technical_Wishes/Gendered_Categories
and join the talk page if you wish.

Some questions on my mind are:
* Will the proposed hard-redirect category behavior break any MediaWiki or
third-party software assumptions about hard redirects or categories?
* Is “non-page” category aliasing really the mountain of tech debt I
imagine it to be?
* Have there been other attempts to solve this problem?

Kind regards,
Adam
from the Technical Wishes Team at Wikimedia Germany

Re: Category aliasing proposals

Brian Wolff
Re other attempts - have you seen
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/core/+/65176/ ?

Beyond that some people have talked about using wikidata stuff instead of
categories, but im not sure how seriously.

--
Brian

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 8:32 AM Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Re other attempts - have you seen
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/core/+/65176/ ?

Thanks!  I had read the bug https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T5311 but
somehow missed that 2013 patch—the code review comments are really helpful.

One detail I should emphasize about my new proposal to use hard redirected
categories as aliases is that it's a terrible workaround at heart.  It
would be nicer if there were a formal way to alias categories, for example
a directive "#ALIAS_TO[[<category-name>]]" that could be used in category
pages.  What I'm proposing is that we introduce new behaviors for hard
redirects, and then agree that it's correct for articles to be categorized
permanently under these aliases, so that the alternative labels are
applied.  In previous discussion of hard redirects, an article categorized
under the redirect would still be "incorrect" and in a temporary state, to
be eventually recategorized under the alias's main category by bots like
RussBot.

-Adam