CategoryTree extension

Tim Starling
In case you haven't noticed, Duesentrieb's category tree extension is live
on all Wikimedia wikis. The subcategory list on category pages is displayed
as a tree by default. You can click "show as list" to show it in the old
display format. This additionally sets a cookie so that further requests
will show a list by default (except pages cached as a tree on the client).

The suggestion has been made to add a user preference in addition to the
cookie mechanism. I think we'll probably wait and see what the demand is for
that.

-- Tim Starling

Re: CategoryTree extension

David Gerard-2
On 02/09/06, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In case you haven't noticed, Duesentrieb's category tree extension is live
> on all Wikimedia wikis. The subcategory list on category pages is displayed
> as a tree by default. You can click "show as list" to show it in the old
> display format. This additionally sets a cookie so that further requests
> will show a list by default (except pages cached as a tree on the client).

That's fantastic! Is 'expand all' a reasonable future feature? Perhaps
with a limit, in case someone cleverly clicks "expand all" on
[[:en:Category:Fundamental]].

- d.

Re: CategoryTree extension

Mark Clements (HappyDog)
"David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > In case you haven't noticed, Duesentrieb's category tree extension is
live
> > on all Wikimedia wikis. The subcategory list on category pages is
displayed
> > as a tree by default. You can click "show as list" to show it in the old
> > display format. This additionally sets a cookie so that further requests
> > will show a list by default (except pages cached as a tree on the
client).

> That's fantastic! Is 'expand all' a reasonable future feature? Perhaps
> with a limit, in case someone cleverly clicks "expand all" on
> [[:en:Category:Fundamental]].

Unfortunately, this will have problems with cyclic categories.  If you have
CatA > CatB > CatA then you will end up with infinite recursion.  This Is A
Bad Thing (tm).

- Mark Clements (HappyDog)

Re: CategoryTree extension

David Gerard-2
On 03/09/06, Mark Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote in
> message news:[hidden email]...
> > On 02/09/06, Tim Starling
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > In case you haven't noticed, Duesentrieb's category tree extension is live

> > That's fantastic! Is 'expand all' a reasonable future feature? Perhaps
> > with a limit, in case someone cleverly clicks "expand all" on
> > [[:en:Category:Fundamental]].

> Unfortunately, this will have problems with cyclic categories.  If you have
> CatA > CatB > CatA then you will end up with infinite recursion.  This Is A
> Bad Thing (tm).

Yeah, it'd need a loop detector, or at least a depth detector. If not
both. SMOP!

- d.

Re: CategoryTree extension

Steve Bennett-4
On 9/3/06, Mark Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > That's fantastic! Is 'expand all' a reasonable future feature? Perhaps
> > with a limit, in case someone cleverly clicks "expand all" on
> > [[:en:Category:Fundamental]].
> >

> Unfortunately, this will have problems with cyclic categories.  If you
> have
> CatA > CatB > CatA then you will end up with infinite recursion.  This Is
> Bad Thing (tm).

Could it at least do a one-level broad expansion? As in, expand every
category to a depth of N+1?

Steve (hi from Berlin!)