Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

David Cuenca Tudela
Hi all,

After a talk with Brad Jorsch during the Hackathon (thanks again Brad for
your patience), it became clear to me that Lua modules can be localized
either by using system messages or by getting the project language code
(mw.getContentLanguage().getCode()) and then switching the message. This
second option is less integrated with the translation system, but can serve
as intermediate step to get things running.

For Wikisource it would be nice to have a central repository (sitting on
wikisource.org) of localized Lua modules and associated templates. The
documentation could be translated using Extension:Translate. These modules,
templates and associated documentation would be then synchronized with all
the language wikisources that subscribe to an opt-in list. Users would be
then advised to modify the central module, thus all language versions would
benefit of the improvements. This could be the first experiment of having a
centralized repository of modules.

What do you think of this? Would be anyone available to mentor an Outreach
Program for Women project?

Thanks,
David Cuenca --Micru
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Yuvi Panda
I'm pretty sure that the 'syncing' can be accomplished by a simple
bot, and it might even already exist(?). Will be happy to help write
the bot if it doesn't exist yet.
--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Paul Selitskas
It's the worst case scenario. "Bot syncing" is a bad practice (and it was
such since the beginning of times). Since we have banners (CentralNotice)
and interwiki links (Wikidata) centralized, perhaps we should move forward
and start centralizing on-wiki development efforts. There are also "global"
gadgets (i.e. suitable for most wikis), and said above should be the case
for Gadgets 2.0 as well.


On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Yuvi Panda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that the 'syncing' can be accomplished by a simple
> bot, and it might even already exist(?). Will be happy to help write
> the bot if it doesn't exist yet.
> --
> Yuvi Panda T
> http://yuvi.in/blog
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>



--
З павагай,
Павел Селіцкас/Pavel Selitskas
Wizardist @ Wikimedia projects
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Yuvi Panda
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Paul Selitskas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's the worst case scenario. "Bot syncing" is a bad practice (and it was
> such since the beginning of times). Since we have banners (CentralNotice)
> and interwiki links (Wikidata) centralized, perhaps we should move forward
> and start centralizing on-wiki development efforts. There are also "global"
> gadgets (i.e. suitable for most wikis), and said above should be the case
> for Gadgets 2.0 as well.

Someone official (anomie?) mentioned this a couple of other times too,
but also said that it is something 'on the roadmap' but without any
concrete dates, by which I assume it is *at least* a year away.


--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Greg Grossmeier-2
<quote name="Yuvi Panda" date="2013-05-31" time="22:04:09 +0530">

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Paul Selitskas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's the worst case scenario. "Bot syncing" is a bad practice (and it was
> > such since the beginning of times). Since we have banners (CentralNotice)
> > and interwiki links (Wikidata) centralized, perhaps we should move forward
> > and start centralizing on-wiki development efforts. There are also "global"
> > gadgets (i.e. suitable for most wikis), and said above should be the case
> > for Gadgets 2.0 as well.
>
> Someone official (anomie?) mentioned this a couple of other times too,
> but also said that it is something 'on the roadmap' but without any
> concrete dates, by which I assume it is *at least* a year away.

This topic will no doubt come up during our (Platform's) next "quarterly
review" which will be in June. Thats when we prioritize our effort for
big things during the next quarter.

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Quim Gil-2
In reply to this post by David Cuenca Tudela
As for the OPW part...

On 05/31/2013 08:15 AM, David Cuenca wrote:
> What do you think of this? Would be anyone available to mentor an Outreach
> Program for Women project?

Round 6 is now running and the next one will start by the end of the year.

Listing this project idea at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects 
can't harm in any case.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Helder .
In reply to this post by Greg Grossmeier-2
See also:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Global_bits_and_pieces

Helder

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <quote name="Yuvi Panda" date="2013-05-31" time="22:04:09 +0530">
>> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Paul Selitskas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > It's the worst case scenario. "Bot syncing" is a bad practice (and it was
>> > such since the beginning of times). Since we have banners (CentralNotice)
>> > and interwiki links (Wikidata) centralized, perhaps we should move forward
>> > and start centralizing on-wiki development efforts. There are also "global"
>> > gadgets (i.e. suitable for most wikis), and said above should be the case
>> > for Gadgets 2.0 as well.
>>
>> Someone official (anomie?) mentioned this a couple of other times too,
>> but also said that it is something 'on the roadmap' but without any
>> concrete dates, by which I assume it is *at least* a year away.
>
> This topic will no doubt come up during our (Platform's) next "quarterly
> review" which will be in June. Thats when we prioritize our effort for
> big things during the next quarter.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
In reply to this post by David Cuenca Tudela
Le vendredi 31 mai 2013 à 11:15 -0400, David Cuenca a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> After a talk with Brad Jorsch during the Hackathon (thanks again Brad for
> your patience), it became clear to me that Lua modules can be localized
> either by using system messages or by getting the project language code
> (mw.getContentLanguage().getCode()) and then switching the message. This
> second option is less integrated with the translation system, but can serve
> as intermediate step to get things running.

Interesting, but why make a central code repository only for
Wikisource ?

>
> For Wikisource it would be nice to have a central repository (sitting on
> wikisource.org) of localized Lua modules and associated templates. The
> documentation could be translated using Extension:Translate. These modules,
> templates and associated documentation would be then synchronized with all
> the language wikisources that subscribe to an opt-in list. Users would be
> then advised to modify the central module, thus all language versions would
> benefit of the improvements. This could be the first experiment of having a
> centralized repository of modules.
>
> What do you think of this? Would be anyone available to mentor an Outreach
> Program for Women project?
>
> Thanks,
> David Cuenca --Micru
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Paul Selitskas
Yeah, let's make them configurable so people can set the scope of projects
(all wikis, specific families, etc... languages?).


On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Mathieu Stumpf <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le vendredi 31 mai 2013 à 11:15 -0400, David Cuenca a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After a talk with Brad Jorsch during the Hackathon (thanks again Brad for
> > your patience), it became clear to me that Lua modules can be localized
> > either by using system messages or by getting the project language code
> > (mw.getContentLanguage().getCode()) and then switching the message. This
> > second option is less integrated with the translation system, but can
> serve
> > as intermediate step to get things running.
>
> Interesting, but why make a central code repository only for
> Wikisource ?
>
> >
> > For Wikisource it would be nice to have a central repository (sitting on
> > wikisource.org) of localized Lua modules and associated templates. The
> > documentation could be translated using Extension:Translate. These
> modules,
> > templates and associated documentation would be then synchronized with
> all
> > the language wikisources that subscribe to an opt-in list. Users would be
> > then advised to modify the central module, thus all language versions
> would
> > benefit of the improvements. This could be the first experiment of
> having a
> > centralized repository of modules.
> >
> > What do you think of this? Would be anyone available to mentor an
> Outreach
> > Program for Women project?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David Cuenca --Micru
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>



--
З павагай,
Павел Селіцкас/Pavel Selitskas
Wizardist @ Wikimedia projects
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

David Cuenca Tudela
In reply to this post by mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Mathieu Stumpf <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting, but why make a central code repository only for
> Wikisource ?


 There are several reasons for this.
- trying to support all projects at once might be too much for a grantee to
do in 3 months.
- it is an experience to learn from, and it will have to be decided if it
can be applied broadly or substituted for some better method
- wikisource has a central location that can be used for this purpose,
other projects don't have it specifically. It could be "meta", but that
should be discussed

Micru
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Matthew Flaschen-2
On 06/02/2013 10:38 AM, David Cuenca wrote:
> - wikisource has a central location that can be used for this purpose,
> other projects don't have it specifically. It could be "meta", but that
> should be discussed

mediawiki.org is a better central location for code.

Matt Flaschen

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
In reply to this post by David Cuenca Tudela
Le 2013-06-02 16:38, David Cuenca a écrit :

> On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Mathieu Stumpf <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Interesting, but why make a central code repository only for
>> Wikisource ?
>
>
>  There are several reasons for this.
> - trying to support all projects at once might be too much for a
> grantee to
> do in 3 months.
> - it is an experience to learn from, and it will have to be decided
> if it
> can be applied broadly or substituted for some better method
> - wikisource has a central location that can be used for this
> purpose,
> other projects don't have it specifically. It could be "meta", but
> that
> should be discussed

Oh, I wasn't aware of this wikisource specificity? Is that related to a
central djvu repository?

>
> Micru
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

David Cuenca Tudela
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Mathieu Stumpf <
[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh, I wasn't aware of this wikisource specificity? Is that related to a
central djvu repository?

No, it is only related to the existence of a central project. However Matt
Flaschen says that mediawiki.org could be used instead.


On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Matthew Flaschen <[hidden email]>wrote:
> mediawiki.org is a better central location for code.

Could associated templates be stored there as well?

Micru
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Merlijn van Deen
In reply to this post by Yuvi Panda
On 31 May 2013 17:19, Yuvi Panda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that the 'syncing' can be accomplished by a simple
> bot, and it might even already exist(?). Will be happy to help write
> the bot if it doesn't exist yet.

Kasper Souren contributed replicate_wiki.py to pywikipedia at the last
hackathon. It allows replicating a complete namespace from one central
wiki to multiple others - see [1].

Merlijn

[1] https://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/pywikipedia/branches/rewrite/scripts/replicate_wiki.py?view=markup&pathrev=11581

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Centralized Lua modules for Wikisource (OPW mentor needed)

Matthew Flaschen-2
In reply to this post by David Cuenca Tudela
On 06/03/2013 10:05 AM, David Cuenca wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Matthew Flaschen <[hidden email]>wrote:
>> mediawiki.org is a better central location for code.
>
> Could associated templates be stored there as well?

Maybe, but Wikisource.org or the local wikis is probably better for
that.  Perhaps you should go based on whether the code/template is
Wikisource-specific.  If so, use wikisource.org, otherwise (useful for
other WMF wikis) mediawiki.org (though I don't know of cases so far
where templates are shared on mediawiki.org like that).

Matt Flaschen

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l