Changing the MediaWiki logo?

Chad
Hi,

Little bit of a different thread today--but something's been kind of biting
at me over the last couple of weeks and I thought it'd be best to get it
out there :)

What support would there be for changing the MediaWiki logo and
being consistent with it?

I'm not suggesting a drastic change, like substituting puppies for the
flower. I'm looking at a more subtle change, as in moving from our
current logo to something like[0]. Originally, I didn't like the SVG version
but over time it's managed to grow on me quite a bit. Although, I stil
think the text could use tweaking, something closer to the current color
would be nice. There's a couple of pretty big reasons I think we should
switch to this (or something like it):

1) It scales much nicer. The current version looks absolutely awful at
higher resolutions, and at lower ends becomes rather featureless. A
version natively designed as an SVG (but keeping the original design
ideas) takes care of that.
2) It fits much nicer with the other WMF logos (other than the puzzle
globe, which will never match :)
3) We've already started selling stickers based on the SVG version[1],
so it might be good to update it on MediaWiki.org to match.

So...thoughts? Should we do this more formal-like in an RfC or
something? Other colors you'd like to paint the bikeshed?

-Chad

[0] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mediawiki_logo_reworked_2.svg
[1] http://shop.wikimedia.org/products/wikimedia-project-stickers-pack-of-12

Re: Changing the MediaWiki logo?

David Gerard-2
On 12 June 2012 22:47, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What support would there be for changing the MediaWiki logo and
> being consistent with it?

Very little, I'd hope. I think the SVG rendering is horrible compared
to the photo version.

> 1) It scales much nicer. The current version looks absolutely awful at
> higher resolutions,

Well, it will if you scale it up from 135px ... the original photo's
in pretty darned high resolution.

> and at lower ends becomes rather featureless.

Would pixel-tweaking help? What applications are you thinking of?

- d.

Re: Changing the MediaWiki logo?

John Du Hart
I support that fully.
On Jun 12, 2012 5:48 PM, "Chad" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Little bit of a different thread today--but something's been kind of biting
> at me over the last couple of weeks and I thought it'd be best to get it
> out there :)
>
> What support would there be for changing the MediaWiki logo and
> being consistent with it?
>
> I'm not suggesting a drastic change, like substituting puppies for the
> flower. I'm looking at a more subtle change, as in moving from our
> current logo to something like[0]. Originally, I didn't like the SVG
> version
> but over time it's managed to grow on me quite a bit. Although, I stil
> think the text could use tweaking, something closer to the current color
> would be nice. There's a couple of pretty big reasons I think we should
> switch to this (or something like it):
>
> 1) It scales much nicer. The current version looks absolutely awful at
> higher resolutions, and at lower ends becomes rather featureless. A
> version natively designed as an SVG (but keeping the original design
> ideas) takes care of that.
> 2) It fits much nicer with the other WMF logos (other than the puzzle
> globe, which will never match :)
> 3) We've already started selling stickers based on the SVG version[1],
> so it might be good to update it on MediaWiki.org to match.
>
> So...thoughts? Should we do this more formal-like in an RfC or
> something? Other colors you'd like to paint the bikeshed?
>
> -Chad
>
> [0] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mediawiki_logo_reworked_2.svg
> [1]
> http://shop.wikimedia.org/products/wikimedia-project-stickers-pack-of-12

Re: Changing the MediaWiki logo?

Lewis Cawte
I support this, for all the reasons listed below. I don't think I can
find any problem in doing so either...

-- Lewis Cawte

On 12/06/2012 22:47, Chad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Little bit of a different thread today--but something's been kind of biting
> at me over the last couple of weeks and I thought it'd be best to get it
> out there :)
>
> What support would there be for changing the MediaWiki logo and
> being consistent with it?
>
> I'm not suggesting a drastic change, like substituting puppies for the
> flower. I'm looking at a more subtle change, as in moving from our
> current logo to something like[0]. Originally, I didn't like the SVG version
> but over time it's managed to grow on me quite a bit. Although, I stil
> think the text could use tweaking, something closer to the current color
> would be nice. There's a couple of pretty big reasons I think we should
> switch to this (or something like it):
>
> 1) It scales much nicer. The current version looks absolutely awful at
> higher resolutions, and at lower ends becomes rather featureless. A
> version natively designed as an SVG (but keeping the original design
> ideas) takes care of that.
> 2) It fits much nicer with the other WMF logos (other than the puzzle
> globe, which will never match :)
> 3) We've already started selling stickers based on the SVG version[1],
> so it might be good to update it on MediaWiki.org to match.
>
> So...thoughts? Should we do this more formal-like in an RfC or
> something? Other colors you'd like to paint the bikeshed?
>
> -Chad
>
> [0] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mediawiki_logo_reworked_2.svg
> [1] http://shop.wikimedia.org/products/wikimedia-project-stickers-pack-of-12

Re: Changing the MediaWiki logo?

Tim Starling-2
On 13/06/12 07:47, Chad wrote:
> 1) It scales much nicer. The current version looks absolutely awful at
> higher resolutions, and at lower ends becomes rather featureless. A
> version natively designed as an SVG (but keeping the original design
> ideas) takes care of that.

In the proposed logo, the lines between the petals are hard to see at
135px, and are almost invisible at 75px. With no shading, it just
looks like a yellow blob.

The solid brown circle in the middle draws the eye, it seems large and
dominating, and it doesn't match the colour of the original.

I'm not opposed to switching to a vector logo, I just think we should
try to do a proper job of it, say by contracting a graphic designer.
It doesn't need to be expensive.

I don't know what file you're using as a source when you scale up the
logo: I couldn't find Brion's full-resolution original on Commons.
It's in /trunk/artwork in Subversion, admittedly only at 612px width,
still too small for print, but definitely better than trying to scale
it up from 135px.

-- Tim Starling

On 13/06/12 10:03, Tim Starling wrote:
> I don't know what file you're using as a source when you scale up the
> logo: I couldn't find Brion's full-resolution original on Commons.
> It's in /trunk/artwork in Subversion, admittedly only at 612px width,
> still too small for print, but definitely better than trying to scale
> it up from 135px.

I converted it to PNG and uploaded it to

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mediawiki-large.png

-- Tim Starling

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/06/12 07:47, Chad wrote:
>> 1) It scales much nicer. The current version looks absolutely awful at
>> higher resolutions, and at lower ends becomes rather featureless. A
>> version natively designed as an SVG (but keeping the original design
>> ideas) takes care of that.
>
> In the proposed logo, the lines between the petals are hard to see at
> 135px, and are almost invisible at 75px. With no shading, it just
> looks like a yellow blob.
>
> The solid brown circle in the middle draws the eye, it seems large and
> dominating, and it doesn't match the colour of the original.

Indeed, it could use some cleanup. That being said, I like
the original *intent* of it.

> I'm not opposed to switching to a vector logo, I just think we should
> try to do a proper job of it, say by contracting a graphic designer.
> It doesn't need to be expensive.

We've also got quite a few talented graphic artists amongst the
community, as well as a couple of people inside the Foundation
who are good at this too. Perhaps we should see what they can
come up with first :)

> I don't know what file you're using as a source when you scale up the
> logo: I couldn't find Brion's full-resolution original on Commons.
> It's in /trunk/artwork in Subversion, admittedly only at 612px width,
> still too small for print, but definitely better than trying to scale
> it up from 135px.

It would seem a product of me using a poorly sized image
and expecting it to scale. The example in your followup e-mail
does look fine at larger resolutions.

-Chad

Re: Changing the MediaWiki logo?

Amir E. Aharoni
2012/6/13 Chad <[hidden email]>:
> What support would there be for changing the MediaWiki logo and
> being consistent with it?

I like the general idea of moving to SVG, but the current SVG image is
too blocky.

Something like [1] with less blocky petals may change my mind.

[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikitech-logo.png

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Changing the MediaWiki logo?

Antoine Musso-3
Chad wrote:
<snip>
> What support would there be for changing the MediaWiki logo and
> being consistent with it?

That was asked back in Nov 2010:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/50637

I haven't change my mind: if we want to clone the existing one, make
sure the end result is colourful and as good as the current one.

Organizing a logo context, just like we did for the Wikipedia logo, is
probably the best idea. Thanks Trevor for remembering us about it.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Changing the MediaWiki logo?

Derric Atzrott
Agreed.  If we want to do this, then it needs to be done right.

I fully support the idea of switching to a fully SVG logo as well though.  Vectors are almost always the proper choice for logos.

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott

Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי http://aharoni.wordpress.com ‪“We're living in pieces, I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chad wrote:
> <snip>
>> What support would there be for changing the MediaWiki logo and
>> being consistent with it?
>
> That was asked back in Nov 2010:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/50637
>
> I haven't change my mind: if we want to clone the existing one, make
> sure the end result is colourful and as good as the current one.
>

> Organizing a logo context, just like we did for the Wikipedia logo, is
> probably the best idea. Thanks Trevor for remembering us about it.

I think a contest may indeed be in order then :)

-Chad

On 13 June 2012 21:29, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Organizing a logo context, just like we did for the Wikipedia logo, is
>> probably the best idea. Thanks Trevor for remembering us about it.

> I think a contest may indeed be in order then :)

The key objection last time was that the current logo looks alive, all
proposed replacements look dead. Just please note that for the contest

- d.

Re: Changing the MediaWiki logo?

Brandon Harris-4

On Jun 13, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Chad wrote:

> I think a contest may indeed be in order then :)

        Clearly more unicorns are required.

---
Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 June 2012 21:29, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Organizing a logo context, just like we did for the Wikipedia logo, is
>>> probably the best idea. Thanks Trevor for remembering us about it.
>
>> I think a contest may indeed be in order then :)
>

> The key objection last time was that the current logo looks alive, all
> proposed replacements look dead. Just please note that for the contest

So we'll have some contingency in the rules saying "if they all suck, we'll
just stick with the current one." Easy enough.

-Chad

Le 13/06/12 22:33, Brandon Harris wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Chad wrote:
>> I think a contest may indeed be in order then :)
>
> Clearly more unicorns are required.

lets open a context on reddit :-]

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso