Changing the name of the front page, a few site/page name-related other questions.

Changing the name of the front page, a few site/page name-related other questions.

Ken McDonald-2
Our front page won't be named "Main_Page", but "Welcome to...". Is there
a way to change MW's "default" page? I'm guessing that moving the Main
Page to the page name we want to show up would write in an automatic
redirect, so that opening the site would open Main_Page, which would
then redirect to "Welcome to..."--but I don't know for sure (and don't
want to find out the hard way that it doesn't work!), and am also
wondering if there's a "better" way. I poked around in the
DefaultSettings.php and did searches on it, but the only hits I found
weren't relevant.

Also, a question that may or many not be relevant to MW, but since
you're reading :-) . . . the entry URL for the site is currently
http://www.myserver.com/site which opens up the main page. However,
http://www.myserver.com shows the contents of the directory the holds
the site directory. We certainly want that blocked, and if possible
(since for the time being the wiki is the only thing that will be
running at that site) would like a reference to http://www.myserver.com
to automatically open the front page of the wiki.

I've tried putting in a .htaccess denying all access into 'site''s
parent directory (just copied the one in "maintenance") so that
http://www.myserver.com/ would be blocked, but that doesn't seem to
work--do I need to restart the Apache server? And is a redirect via
.htaccess the simplest way to achieve the desired redirect from the site
name to the wiki?

As always, many thanks,
Ken

Re: Changing the name of the front page, a few site/page name-related other questions.

Brion Vibber
Ken McDonald wrote:
> Our front page won't be named "Main_Page", but "Welcome to...". Is there
> a way to change MW's "default" page?

Edit [[MediaWiki:Mainpage]].

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Changing the name of the front page, a few site/page name-related other questions.

Rotem Liss
Ken McDonald wrote:

>Our front page won't be named "Main_Page", but "Welcome to...". Is there
>a way to change MW's "default" page? I'm guessing that moving the Main
>Page to the page name we want to show up would write in an automatic
>redirect, so that opening the site would open Main_Page, which would
>then redirect to "Welcome to..."--but I don't know for sure (and don't
>want to find out the hard way that it doesn't work!), and am also
>wondering if there's a "better" way. I poked around in the
>DefaultSettings.php and did searches on it, but the only hits I found
>weren't relevant.
>
>Also, a question that may or many not be relevant to MW, but since
>you're reading :-) . . . the entry URL for the site is currently
>http://www.myserver.com/site which opens up the main page. However,
>http://www.myserver.com shows the contents of the directory the holds
>the site directory. We certainly want that blocked, and if possible
>(since for the time being the wiki is the only thing that will be
>running at that site) would like a reference to http://www.myserver.com
>to automatically open the front page of the wiki.
>
>I've tried putting in a .htaccess denying all access into 'site''s
>parent directory (just copied the one in "maintenance") so that
>http://www.myserver.com/ would be blocked, but that doesn't seem to
>work--do I need to restart the Apache server? And is a redirect via
>.htaccess the simplest way to achieve the desired redirect from the site
>name to the wiki?
>
>As always, many thanks,
>Ken

I think a PHP redirect in "/index.php" to "/site" will do.

--
#define Name RotemLiss
#define Mail mailSTRUDELrotemlissDOTcom

Ken McDonald wrote:

>Our front page won't be named "Main_Page", but "Welcome to...". Is there
>a way to change MW's "default" page? I'm guessing that moving the Main
>Page to the page name we want to show up would write in an automatic
>redirect, so that opening the site would open Main_Page, which would
>then redirect to "Welcome to..."--but I don't know for sure (and don't
>want to find out the hard way that it doesn't work!), and am also
>wondering if there's a "better" way. I poked around in the
>DefaultSettings.php and did searches on it, but the only hits I found
>weren't relevant.
>
>Also, a question that may or many not be relevant to MW, but since
>you're reading :-) . . . the entry URL for the site is currently
>http://www.myserver.com/site which opens up the main page. However,
>http://www.myserver.com shows the contents of the directory the holds
>the site directory. We certainly want that blocked, and if possible
>(since for the time being the wiki is the only thing that will be
>running at that site) would like a reference to http://www.myserver.com
>to automatically open the front page of the wiki.
>
>I've tried putting in a .htaccess denying all access into 'site''s
>parent directory (just copied the one in "maintenance") so that
>http://www.myserver.com/ would be blocked, but that doesn't seem to
>work--do I need to restart the Apache server? And is a redirect via
>.htaccess the simplest way to achieve the desired redirect from the site
>name to the wiki?
>
>As always, many thanks,
>Ken

Of course, I meant to say that the PHP redirect will solve the second
problem.

--
#define Name RotemLiss
#define Mail mailSTRUDELrotemlissDOTcom
#define Site www.rotemliss.com

Re: Changing the name of the front page, a few site/page name-related other questions.

Elliott F. Cable
For the first bit, just edit the page "MediaWiki:Mainpage" (type
exactly that in the search box or just type it in the URL)  and
change the content of that page from "Main Page" to "Welcome to..." -
then, go to the page "Main Page" and move it to "Welcome to..."
If that didn't make sense, I can do it for you in 5 clicks if you
want to give me a interfaceedit privs, or somebody else may be a
better explainer than I am - I do things myself for people usually (-: