Chapter Misleading Community!

Abhishek Suryawanshi
Dear Executive Committee,
Wikimedia India Chapter.

Could you be please be kind enough to clarify, Why EC was/is interested in misguiding mailing list and Indian community?

When asked about CIS funding - Executive Committee member wrote :

The Chapter has alwaya made things public and will xontinue to do so. If the CIS funds us, it will be madw public.

Then why weren't they made public by you? CIS clearly stated - they are funding Chapter, and in past (also) they have supported in-kind.

Why is the hesitation for acknowledging this? On the contrary - there is strong rejection of even having any kind of connection with CIS from Chapter representatives. (On the other hand CIS is graciously open/alright to acknowledge links with the Chapter)

On A Query about CIS funding Chapter Flight Tickets : Response from Secretary was-

.....making unsubstantiated claims on a public mailing list,

Which part was unsubstantiated?  Its the reality that this time Chapter Board Member's Flight tickets ARE covered by CIS even if it includes training the A2K team.
(CIS has already made it clear on this mailing list)

Why there is hesitation/resistance to have transparency?

Also, the Chapter President gave statement on same thread -

Please be open and transparent to the
community. The more you become transparent, it is better for al
l.

Are Chapter EC Members  exception to this?

On same lines, Another EC Members says -

 The Chapter is financially accountable to it's MEMBERS,

As correctly stated by , Chapter is having money from WMF, Which comes from individual donations. So ideally
Chapter should be accountable to the overall community and not just its members, as rightly pointed out by someone

Again, What is the need to find excuses for transparency?

When there was statement that ''AGM travel expense is covered'' instead of correcting statement and saying, its wrong - and CIS is paying for Board Trip (which is coinciding with CIS training!)
Even Chapter President preferred to give out half truth and kept everyone in dark. And there was Secretary and another EC Member to take whole mailing list on a ride!

Why it is important?

This could be start of new era - Where CIS supports Chapter financially whenever needed.
(or in-kind as they did in past and hopefully will continue to do so).

So more and more volunteer efforts can be devoted for outreach/activities.

Please remember that chapter is representation of the community and
works for the community

Current scenario gives wrong interpretation and implies that community should not raise questions on transparency because after-all we are your  representation! Either consult community before lying or speak (complete) truth.

Here is response from Sunil,CIS -

This month, we are reimbursing the Chapter EC travel and related
expenses because the Chapter EC has kindly consented to support a
training programme that CIS is organising for it's A2K team in
Bangalore. It is only happy coincidence that they were also organising
a meeting in Bangalore during those dates. I was not aware of this
when I reached out to the EC and asked for their support us.

From Sunil's mail it is clear that Sunil extended the offer in good-faith, unaware of Chapter-Board meeting falling at the same time. However Chapter also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I don't understand why?

And why CIS was also kept in dark?

CIS will cover air travel and accommodation for all EC members. CIS will
also provide per diem for meals that are not provided during the
training. Unfortunately, we don't have a separate budget for fees.

Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.
And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.

If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other activities, then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid organized and dedicated efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'

And Hope so CIS takes care of all the
 remaining Chapter financial needs as well, Just keep community in loop. And Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being transparent and open.

Keep Clarifying, Keep Inspiring!

-Abhishek Suryawanshi,
On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:48:42 +0530
From: Sunil Abraham <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia India EC <[hidden email]>

Attn:
 Sudhanwa Jogalekar
 Karthik Nadar
 Anirudh Singh Bhati
 Nikita Belavate
 Pranav Curumsey
 Srikanth Ramakrishnan
 Viswa Prabha

Dear Members of the Wikimedia India EC,

Hope 2013 has gotten of to an excellent start for all of you.

CIS is organising a training for the A2K team on the 22nd, 23rd and 24th
of February in Bangalore. The new Programme Director - Vishnu Vardhan
will also be attending this event. We would like the EC to spend one day
training the team on a variety of issues. We would prefer if you opt for
either 23rd or the 24th as we have some other trainers that have
confirmed for the 22nd.

CIS will cover air travel and accommodation for all EC members. CIS will
also provide per diem for meals that are not provided during the
training. Unfortunately, we don't have a separate budget for fees.

This idea has been discussed with Anasuya Sengupta and Jessie Wild at
the Wikimedia Foundation and they have supported it.

Best wishes,

Sunil

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Abhishek Suryawanshi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sunil,
>
> Could you please share information about CIS supporting Chapter Travel
> expenses?
>
> And Its nice and positive move, Great to see CIS continues to support
> movement in India.
> Volunteers can devote their time in doing activities and CIS can support as
> per request.
>
> As Chapter is shy/silent about acknowledging funding from CIS - Hope so your
> reply will clarify that CIS is there to support Chapter activities
> irrespective of criticism.
>

> Keep Supporting, Keep Inspiring! :)
>

> Regards,
>
> Abhishek Suryawanshi,
> On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

Re: Chapter Misleading Community!

Anirudh S. Bhati
Abhishek,

I noticed that you have been repetitively raising the same issues over
and over again. The members of the Executive Committee of Wikimedia
India and Sunil@CIS have already responded to your questions.  It is
clear to us all that some members of the Executive committee will be
travelling to Bangalore in order to train the new employees of CIS on
matters pertaining to their new assignments.  The Executive Committee
has decided to utilize this time when all the members of the board are
in the same city together to have a face to face meeting.  There is
nothing that has been said that goes to prove that CIS regularly funds
chapter activities.

I have to ask you to please refrain from sending further emails on
this topic.  If you ignore this warning, I will have to put your
account on moderation.

Thanks,
Anirudh

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Abhishek Suryawanshi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I don't
> understand why?
>
> And why CIS was also kept in dark?
>

>> CIS will cover air travel and accommodation for all EC members. CIS will
>> also provide per diem for meals that are not provided during the
>> training. Unfortunately, we don't have a separate budget for fees.
>

> Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.
> And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.
>

> If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other activities,
> then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid organized and dedicated
> efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'
>

> And Hope so CIS takes care of all the
>  remaining Chapter financial needs as well, Just keep community in loop. And
> Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being transparent and open.

Prashanth NS
Dear Abhishek,

I am a relatively disinterested party (no implication on others'
interest, but certainly from your perspective I am quite disinterested
(not uninterested)) in this matter. You have certainly made your
point. I (and perhaps many others who have not chosen to respond or
engage) have taken in your view on this matter and the implications of
what you say. There have been responses from people you have raised
issues with and their response is also on record.

In the interest of the list discussion remaining useful and healthy, I
also request you to desist from raking the same points again and
again. Perhaps, if you feel that the responses were not clear enough
(or were not sufficient in content), you need to take it up through
other channels. The limitations of an email discussion list certainly
do not allow for more than this.

Regards,
Prashanth

On 14 February 2013 19:50, Anirudh Bhati <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I don't
>> understand why?
>>
>> And why CIS was also kept in dark?
>>

>>> CIS will cover air travel and accommodation for all EC members. CIS will
>>> also provide per diem for meals that are not provided during the
>>> training. Unfortunately, we don't have a separate budget for fees.
>>

>> Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.
>> And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.
>>

>> If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other activities,
>> then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid organized and dedicated
>> efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'
>>

>> And Hope so CIS takes care of all the
>>  remaining Chapter financial needs as well, Just keep community in loop. And
>> Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being transparent and open.

Dear Anirudh,

Please direct me to the response/clarification from Wikimedia India Executive Committee.

Only Sunil has made the whole thing clear and now its "only"  You who is saying -

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I don't
> understand why?
>
> And why CIS was also kept in dark?
>

>> CIS will cover air travel and accommodation for all EC members. CIS will
>> also provide per diem for meals that are not provided during the
>> training. Unfortunately, we don't have a separate budget for fees.
>

> Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.
> And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.
>

> If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other activities,
> then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid organized and dedicated
> efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'
>

> And Hope so CIS takes care of all the
>  remaining Chapter financial needs as well, Just keep community in loop. And
> Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being transparent and open.

The chapter's response has been to ask you to stop making
unsubstantiated allegations.  Sunil has clarified that that the WMF
sponsored A2K programme is funding travel and accommodation of some
members of the Wikimedia India Executive Committee for the purpose of
a training session in Bangalore organized for the benefit of the new
employee(s) of CIS/A2K.  This is the sole purpose of funding travel
and accommodation from CIS/A2K perspective and nothing else.  What the
members of the WMIN board decide to do in their spare time while they
are available in the same city is up to them.  If they use this time
to organize a face to face board meeting, all the more better, since
this way they save some precious chapter funds.  Your accusation that
the chapter is misleading the community is a falsification.

Since you have chosen to ignore my previous warning and continued to
post on the same topic on this mailing list, I have put your account
on moderation.  If you wish to discuss this matter further, please
feel free to send an email to the chapter directly.

Thanks,
Anirudh

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Abhishek Suryawanshi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > unaware of Chapter-Board meeting falling at the same time. However
>> > Chapter
>> > also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I
>> > don't
>> > understand why?
>> >
>> > And why CIS was also kept in dark?

>> > Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.
>> > And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.
>> >

>> > If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other
>> > activities,
>> > then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid organized and
>> > dedicated
>> > efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'
>> >

>> > And Hope so CIS takes care of all the
>> >  remaining Chapter financial needs as well, Just keep community in loop.
>> > And
>> > Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being transparent and open.

Niranjan Patel

Looks like Manmohan Singh maintaining silence and Kapil Sibbal giving his best to censor media to keep image clean.

The members of the Executive Committee of Wikimedia
India and Sunil@CIS have already responded to your questions.

I am also unable to find responce/clarification from EC. I can see just you and [hidden email] explaining scenario.
Please care enough to redirect people to same?

Regards,
Niranjan Patel
Long Live Democracy!

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > unaware of Chapter-Board meeting falling at the same time. However
>> > Chapter
>> > also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I
>> > don't
>> > understand why?
>> >
>> > And why CIS was also kept in dark?

>> > Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.
>> > And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.
>> >

>> > If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other
>> > activities,
>> > then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid organized and
>> > dedicated
>> > efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'
>> >

>> > And Hope so CIS takes care of all the
>> >  remaining Chapter financial needs as well, Just keep community in loop.
>> > And
>> > Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being transparent and open.

Rudolph the Rd Nosed Reindeer
You sound like you had a bad deal with the Chapter.
Did you try and blackmail them or did the chapter NOT pay you any money? The way you are targeting them makes it very apparent.
Yes, the Chapter did mislead the community.
Their aim is to promote and support Wikimedia projects and open access in the country.
They supported your Wikimedia India Summit in January.
I'm sure with the current board members, they would not have supported you blindly. There would have been a compromise.
Where did YOU get money for such an event from?
There was no grant application on Meta, or the Chapter wiki.

From: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:46:41 +0530
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: [Wikimediaindia-l] Chapter Misleading Community!

[...]

From Sunil's mail it is clear that Sunil extended the offer in good-faith, unaware of Chapter-Board meeting falling at the same time. However Chapter also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I don't understand why?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Sunil,
>
> Could you please share information about CIS supporting Chapter Travel
> expenses?
>
> And Its nice and positive move, Great to see CIS continues to support
> movement in India.
> Volunteers can devote their time in doing activities and CIS can support as
> per request.
>
> As Chapter is shy/silent about acknowledging funding from CIS - Hope so your
> reply will clarify that CIS is there to support Chapter activities
> irrespective of criticism.
>

> Keep Supporting, Keep Inspiring! :)
>

> Regards,
>
> Abhishek Suryawanshi,
> On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

Re: Chapter Misleading Community!

yohannvt

I agree with my friend Niranjan Patel.
Wont it be better if the EC directly clarifies all doubts & settle this debate once & for all.

A concerned Wikimedian
Yohann Thomas

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > unaware of Chapter-Board meeting falling at the same time. However
>> > Chapter
>> > also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I
>> > don't
>> > understand why?
>> >
>> > And why CIS was also kept in dark?

>> > Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.
>> > And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.
>> >

>> > If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other
>> > activities,
>> > then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid organized and
>> > dedicated
>> > efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'
>> >

>> > And Hope so CIS takes care of all the
>> >  remaining Chapter financial needs as well, Just keep community in loop.
>> > And
>> > Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being transparent and open.

​Dear Prashanth,

In the interest of the list discussion remaining useful and healthy, I
also request you to desist from raking the same points again and
again. Perhaps, if you feel that the responses were not clear enough
(or were not sufficient in content), you need to take it up through
other channels. The limitations of an email discussion list certainly
do not allow for more than thi
s.

Sorry for 'pushing' my points again n again on public mailing lists. Thank you so much for highlighting other channels.

@Dear Anirudh :

I want to apologize for tone. However I am confused about moderation part. I was searching answers, and as stated above - I do agree - pushing part was unnecessary.
If moderation was purely done for ignoring warning then I am sorry for that.

I do understand moderators of this list are volunteers, and I completely respect their decisions.

Regarding this thread, by assuming good faith I believe EC will reply soon - I would prefer to wait for reply instead of pushing.

​Hope so moderation mode will be deactivated soon.​

With sincere apologies,

Abhishek Suryawanshi

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Prashanth N S <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I don't
>> understand why?
>>
>> And why CIS was also kept in dark?
>>

>>> CIS will cover air travel and accommodation for all EC members. CIS will
>>> also provide per diem for meals that are not provided during the
>>> training. Unfortunately, we don't have a separate budget for fees.
>>

>> Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.
>> And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.
>>

>> If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other activities,
>> then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid organized and dedicated
>> efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'
>>

>> And Hope so CIS takes care of all the
>>  remaining Chapter financial needs as well, Just keep community in loop. And
>> Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being transparent and open.

Raj Tagore

Re: Chapter Misleading Community!

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
I take strong offense to this mail and see it as an attack on Anirudh,
aka Sir Nicholas. He is a senior member of the community, an active
editor and administrator on the English Wikipedia, and a founding
member of the chapter. One doesn't need Indic contribs to be an Indian
Wikipedian. You might want to search again, or use a different search
engine. The community hasn't reached any low because of this but
because people are busy ranting out her and not contributing or
letting others contribute.

On 2/18/13, Raj Tagore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

Re: Chapter Misleading Community!

Pradeep Mohandas-4
hi Rajat,

I am not sure if you have written to the mailing list earlier, so a warm welcome to the Wikimedia India community. If nothing else, this thread seems to be getting more newer members of the community to join the conversation on list and I am happy about that.
My responses are inline.

warm regards,
Pradeep Mohandas
How Pradeep uses email? - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

I am forced to send this e-mail because I feel that the Wikimedia Movement in India has hit a new low by moderating its own active member (Abhishek Suryawanshi) on the Wikimedia India mailing list.

This is not to say that I agree with Abhishek's tone, but I feel that there is nothing wrong in what he was asking.

Few of my concerns:

1) Why does Anirudh respond on behalf of EC and why has the EC not responded to Abhishek/community? Do we assume that the entire EC is acting as sock-puppet of Anirudha? Sorry to ask this but I feel there is too much shadow puppetry happening in the Wikimedia India Chapter. This act of moderation is only an indication of this. I wish the EC comes out clean and Anirudha minds his own business, where ever he is.

Pradeep: Let me begin by saying that I am defending Anirudh and the EC on this point. Anirudh's moderation cannot be called shadow puppetry simply for the reason that he openly warned and stated what he would do before he took action. The action could have been opposed after he sent out that email. The fact that it wasn't meant that the large majority of members on this list believed that it was the correct action to take.

The EC is not a single person entity. There are 7 people there. It takes time for them to talk among themselves and answer as one. Also, repetition of a point again and again does not help anyone or the argument he is making. Abhishek asks the question again and again - http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2013-February/009376.html, http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2013-February/009390.html and http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2013-February/009395.html (I list only three, there were more).

The EC has also clarified after Sunil's email - http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2013-February/009490.html - to the list.

Also, when referring to a person, please make sure you address him correctly, with his proper name. He is Anirudh not Anirudha.

2) Initially I felt, probably Anirudh 'felt' like an elder and was concerned. I went in search of what he has done for the Indian Wikimedia movement and realized that there is very less that I could find. There is nothing that you seemed to have contributed to 'Indic' wikipedias. I think someone asked the same question in the past to which there is no answer from you. Please help and redirect to your contribution to Wikipedia India movement.

I feel it is much more important that Anirudh be moderated. It would be gracious if he self moderates his actions.

Taking the liberty to cross post this to many as I feel this highhanded suppression of 'freedom of expression' be seen seriously by the community. With a hope that Anirudha will avoid taking such repressive steps in future and allows this post reach the WM-India mailing list.

Pradeep: This is your personal opinion or how you viewed the situation. You are entitled to it. I will not comment on it. When making an allegation, please substantiate with links, if possible.

I hope you continue engaging with this list.

Thanks,
Rajat

<

[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>> > unaware of Chapter-Board meeting falling at the same time. However
>> > Chapter
>> > also seems to have taken this opportunity and is now shy to accept. I
>> > don't
>> > understand why?
>> >
>> > And why CIS was also kept in dark?

>> > Along with 'air Travel', CIS is providing accommodation too.
>> > And Last sentence about fee budget is interesting.
>> >

>> > If Chapter is expecting public support for fundraising and other
>> > activities,
>> > then it should be more transparent and 'should avoid organized and
>> > dedicated
>> > efforts to misguide community/keep in dark.'
>> >

>> > And Hope so CIS takes care of all the
>> >  remaining Chapter financial needs as well, Just keep community in loop.
>> > And
>> > Thanks to Sunil/ CIS for being transparent and open.

[hidden email]>

>> > Dear Abhishek,
>> >
>> > CIS is not supporting travel expenses for Chapter EC meetings. Nor has
>> > CIS provided funding to the Chapter so far from the Wikipedia grant.
>> > CIS has provided in-kind support to the Chapter in previous financial
>> > years for ex. society registration costs and the costs of their
>> > financial adviser during their first financial year. We strongly
>> > suppor
>> >
>> > This month, we are reimbursing the Chapter EC travel and related
>> > expenses because the Chapter EC has kindly consented to support a
>> > training programme that CIS is organising for it's A2K team in
>> > Bangalore. It is only happy coincidence that they were also organising
>> > a meeting in Bangalore during those dates. I was not aware of this
>> > when I reached out to the EC and asked for their support us.
>> >
>> > Dear Friends,
>> >
>> > In the first week of March, we hope to release a 6-monthly report of
>> > the utilization of the grant so far. Usually we only provide an annual
>> > consolidated report for all grants at the ledger group level. But for
>> > this particular grant we will increase the degree of transparency to
>> > address concerns of the community. If you have any suggestions on how
>> > we should structure this report or if you have any further questions
>> > about how CIS is spending the grant allocated do not hesitate to ask
>> > me.
>> >
>> > Best wishes,
>> >
>> > Sunil

[hidden email]>