Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status

Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status

Michael Peel-2
See http://www.charityfinance.co.uk/home/content.php?
id=2876&pg=15&cat=30

Mike

Re: Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status

Thomas Dalton
2009/6/1 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:
> See http://www.charityfinance.co.uk/home/content.php?
> id=2876&pg=15&cat=30

"HMRC had denied charitable tax status to Wikimedia UK, which runs the
Wikipedia UK website, stating that production of an encyclopaedia is
not a charitable purpose."

They're not even trying... "the Wikipedia UK" website?

Good quotes from Andrew though - well done!

I thought we spoke to the WMF ages ago (in fact, I think I did it) and
they didn't know any useful lawyers, so where did that bit come from?

Re: Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status

joseph seddon
We need to ask them to correct the point where they say "Wikimedia, which has income of less than £5,000 a year, has decided to stop referring to itself as a charity or an exempt charity, as it has up until now, and start describing itself as a ‘not-for-profit’ instead." We arnt wikimedia.

> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:46:32 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status
>
> 2009/6/1 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:
> > See http://www.charityfinance.co.uk/home/content.php?
> > id=2876&pg=15&cat=30
>
> "HMRC had denied charitable tax status to Wikimedia UK, which runs the
> Wikipedia UK website, stating that production of an encyclopaedia is
> not a charitable purpose."
>
> They're not even trying... "the Wikipedia UK" website?
>
> Good quotes from Andrew though - well done!
>
> I thought we spoke to the WMF ages ago (in fact, I think I did it) and
> they didn't know any useful lawyers, so where did that bit come from?

" Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. " Download Now

2009/6/1 joseph seddon <[hidden email]>:
> We need to ask them to correct the point where they say "Wikimedia, which
> has income of less than £5,000 a year, has decided to stop referring to
> itself as a charity or an exempt charity, as it has up until now, and start
> describing itself as a ‘not-for-profit’ instead." We arnt wikimedia.

The bit where they say we run the "Wikipedia UK" website is more of a
problem, I think. The fact that we don't run Wikipedia is extremely
important.

Re: Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status

Michael Peel-2
The author has now corrected the article. I've also added a paragraph
to our website to try to explain this a bit better in general; tweaks
to that text would be more than welcome.

Thanks,
Mike

On 1 Jun 2009, at 14:53, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> 2009/6/1 joseph seddon <[hidden email]>:
>> We need to ask them to correct the point where they say
>> "Wikimedia, which
>> has income of less than £5,000 a year, has decided to stop
>> referring to
>> itself as a charity or an exempt charity, as it has up until now,
>> and start
>> describing itself as a ‘not-for-profit’ instead." We arnt wikimedia.
>
> The bit where they say we run the "Wikipedia UK" website is more of a
> problem, I think. The fact that we don't run Wikipedia is extremely
> important.

Re: Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status

Thomas Dalton
2009/6/1 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:
> The author has now corrected the article. I've also added a paragraph
> to our website to try to explain this a bit better in general; tweaks
> to that text would be more than welcome.

Much improved! Do we credit you with that?

On 1 Jun 2009, at 17:28, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> 2009/6/1 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:
>> The author has now corrected the article. I've also added a paragraph
>> to our website to try to explain this a bit better in general; tweaks
>> to that text would be more than welcome.
>
> Much improved! Do we credit you with that?

Credit the author. :-) I merely pointed out the issues, and explained
things.

Mike

Re: Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status

Thomas Dalton
2009/6/1 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:
> Credit the author. :-) I merely pointed out the issues, and explained
> things.

Nevertheless, good work!

Re: Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status

Michael Peel-2
Also covered by ThirdSector:

http://thirdsector.co.uk/news/Article/911135/Wikimedias-UK-charity-
application-re-examined/

Thanks,
Mike

2009/6/6 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:
> Also covered by ThirdSector:
>
> http://thirdsector.co.uk/news/Article/911135/Wikimedias-UK-charity-
> application-re-examined/

"Organisation responsible for Wikipedia" - that's about as bad as it
gets! I haven't read the full article (free registration required - I
never like the sound of that!), but the extract seems to start a
better description of what we are, but you should probably contact
them and try to get that lede fixed.

Re: Charity Finance news article: Wikimedia UK denied charitable tax status

Andrew Turvey
Full article copied below. As you can see the distinction between the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia UK is explained further down:

Organisation responsible for Wikipedia already turned down by HM
Revenue & Customs

Wikimedia UK is to have its application for charitable status
reconsidered by the Charity Commission after its initial application
to HM Revenue & Customs was turned down.

Wikimedia UK is part of a global family of national associations that
coordinate contributors to the Wikipedia website, based in the US,
and seek permission for other information, such as national archives,
to be posted.

It applied for charitable status, under the heading of promoting
education, to HMRC because its annual income is currently below the
£5,000 threshold for registration with the commission. incompatible
encoding

But HMRC turned down the application on the grounds that the mere
increase of knowledge without teaching or education is not
charitable. Andrew Turvey, secretary of Wikimedia UK, said: "Museums
and art galleries are recognised as charities; our argument is that
what we are doing is analogous to that."

He said HMRC had agreed to pass on Wikimedia's letter of appeal to
the Charity Commission for adjudication, even though the organisation
does not expect to have an income of £5,000 for another 18 months.
Turney (sic) said he hoped for a response within a few months.

End