Chart of candidate positions on ads.

Jack-47
I've uploaded a screencap
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wmf-2007-07-elections-ads.png>
of a chart I made with openOffice.org Calc with my interpretations of
the board candidate answers about the use of ads on foundation
projects. I'd appreciate comments on the whether I should link to it
from the talk pages of
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Advertisements>,
<http://tinyurl.com/2ouwzw>, and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedians_against_advertisements>;
or delete the image.

Cons: Like the divisive political and financial ethics userboxes, it
may create some ugly factionalizing. Such summaries can reduce the
quality of discussion with dogmatic single issue flaming instead of
rational discussion.

Pros: I think more information is good, and since there are very good
contributers who'd leave if ads are displayed I think it's worth the
new discussion that the chart may produce for this dealbreaker issue.
It's meta enough that I think the en.wikip userboxes problem doesn't
really apply here.
--
User:Jeandré du Toit

Re: Chart of candidate positions on ads.

Brad Patrick
So now the election process itself has become a parody of USA Today?
This is absurdity.  If you have sufficient concerns about specific
candidates say so.  I would hope people who care enough about the issue
to be interested in learning people's positions could do so without
visual aids.

Jeandré du Toit wrote:

> I've uploaded a screencap
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wmf-2007-07-elections-ads.png>
> of a chart I made with openOffice.org Calc with my interpretations of
> the board candidate answers about the use of ads on foundation
> projects. I'd appreciate comments on the whether I should link to it
> from the talk pages of
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Advertisements>,
> <http://tinyurl.com/2ouwzw>, and
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedians_against_advertisements>;
> or delete the image.
>
> Cons: Like the divisive political and financial ethics userboxes, it
> may create some ugly factionalizing. Such summaries can reduce the
> quality of discussion with dogmatic single issue flaming instead of
> rational discussion.
>
> Pros: I think more information is good, and since there are very good
> contributers who'd leave if ads are displayed I think it's worth the
> new discussion that the chart may produce for this dealbreaker issue.
> It's meta enough that I think the en.wikip userboxes problem doesn't
> really apply here.

Re: Chart of candidate positions on ads.

The Cunctator
I don't understand where the numbers come from.

On 6/26/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So now the election process itself has become a parody of USA Today?
> This is absurdity.  If you have sufficient concerns about specific
> candidates say so.  I would hope people who care enough about the issue
> to be interested in learning people's positions could do so without
> visual aids.

Sorry. I've tagged it for speedy deletion G6.

I asked here because my position on summaries being good was also
rejected at another site: I was burned by those admins for linking to
the opensecrets page for a famous person and the voting history for
the person they contributed to.
--
User:Jeandré du Toit

Re: Chart of candidate positions on ads.

Erik Moeller-4
Don't be so easily discouraged; I thought it was interesting. Hard to
quantify positions like that, of course. I'd prefer a table with
quotes from the Q&A page.

On 6/26/07, Jeandré du Toit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/26/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So now the election process itself has become a parody of USA Today?
> > This is absurdity.  If you have sufficient concerns about specific
> > candidates say so.  I would hope people who care enough about the issue
> > to be interested in learning people's positions could do so without
> > visual aids.
>
> Sorry. I've tagged it for speedy deletion G6.
>
> I asked here because my position on summaries being good was also
> rejected at another site: I was burned by those admins for linking to
> the opensecrets page for a famous person and the voting history for
> the person they contributed to.
> --
> User:Jeandré du Toit

Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik

Re: Chart of candidate positions on ads.

Brad Patrick
I would rather that as well, Erik.  I just thought it trivialized what
is a significant issue. ('it' being a graphic depicting...well, I'm not
sure what it was depicting.)

This should be a discursive process, imo.

Erik Moeller wrote:

> Don't be so easily discouraged; I thought it was interesting. Hard to
> quantify positions like that, of course. I'd prefer a table with
> quotes from the Q&A page.
>
> On 6/26/07, Jeandré du Toit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 6/26/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> So now the election process itself has become a parody of USA Today?
>>> This is absurdity.  If you have sufficient concerns about specific
>>> candidates say so.  I would hope people who care enough about the issue
>>> to be interested in learning people's positions could do so without
>>> visual aids.
>> Sorry. I've tagged it for speedy deletion G6.
>>
>> I asked here because my position on summaries being good was also
>> rejected at another site: I was burned by those admins for linking to
>> the opensecrets page for a famous person and the voting history for
>> the person they contributed to.
>> --
>> User:Jeandré du Toit

Re: Chart of candidate positions on ads.

Florence Devouard-3
It is tough to see comments on something which is no more visible :-(

ant

Brad Patrick wrote:

> I would rather that as well, Erik.  I just thought it trivialized what
> is a significant issue. ('it' being a graphic depicting...well, I'm not
> sure what it was depicting.)
>
> This should be a discursive process, imo.
>
> Erik Moeller wrote:
>> Don't be so easily discouraged; I thought it was interesting. Hard to
>> quantify positions like that, of course. I'd prefer a table with
>> quotes from the Q&A page.

>>> Sorry. I've tagged it for speedy deletion G6.
>>>
>>> I asked here because my position on summaries being good was also
>>> rejected at another site: I was burned by those admins for linking to
>>> the opensecrets page for a famous person and the voting history for
>>> the person they contributed to.
>>> --
>>> User:Jeandré du Toit

Re: Chart of candidate positions on ads.

Thomas Dalton
The idea of summarising candidate statements on a subject is a good
one, but it needs to be done objectively. Assigning numerical values
to other people's opinions is extremely subjective, and I think has a
net negative impact on the election.

Re: Chart of candidate positions on ads.

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Single issue politics are often only divisive. In this presentation people
who have added a template on their user page on one project are compared. It
is hardly relevant because as long as there are alternatives to
advertisements, adverts will not happen.

There are many more issues that have a much more dramatic impact on our
projects like that are not addressed with as much attention..

   - the role of chapters on the Foundation
   - the role of chapters on the projects
   - how to handle issues with communities where there is no clear
   communication happening because of culture or language
   - how to maintain core values in all the language versions of our
   projects
   - how to raise sufficient funding needed to sustain our projects
   - how to partner with other organisations
   - how to ensure proper working relations between the board, personnel
   chapters and communities
   - how to define the bands of acceptable behaviour for a community

Thanks,
     GerardM