Child care

rupert THURNER-2

Hi, do you plan to offer some kind of child care during wikimania?

Best
Rupert

Re: Child care

maarten deneckere
Hey Rupert,

we want to attract families and groups of friends who want to extend their holiday in South Africa after the conference. As such, we will provide child care facilities.

see https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2015_bids/Cape_Town/Cape_Town#Travel_with_children

Groeten, Maarten

Hi, do you plan to offer some kind of child care during wikimania?

Best
Rupert

Re: Child care

Richard Symonds-3
I think if there was a minimum level of demand, then it's something that could be considered. However, this is the first time that it's been raised regarding Wikimania 2014, so  a decisions would have to be taken based on the level of demand. It would be terrible for inclusivity if a large number of parents couldn't attend because of childcare issues. I have cced in Stuart Prior who is the UK Wikimania Liaison - please let him know if this is something that you would use.

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

On 28 February 2014 17:09, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, do you plan to offer some kind of child care during wikimania?

Best
Rupert

Re: Child care

Lodewijk
hi richard,

how would you define minimum demand in this context? That way the parents can round up :)

Lodewijk

[...]

Nathan Awrich
Better investigate liability and insurance before deciding on how many kids signed up is enough to make it "worth it."

Re: Child care

Edward Saperia-3
It looks like this childcare facility is very close to the venue:

http://www.brighthorizons.co.uk/our-nurseries/city-child-nursery-london/about-this-nursery/overview

I'll look at figuring something out with them.

Edward Saperia
Chief Coordinator Wikimania London
[hidden email]  facebook  twitter  07796955572
133-135 Bethnal Green Road, E2 7DG

On 28 February 2014 17:30, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Katie Chan
On 28/02/2014 17:44, Nathan wrote:
> Better investigate liability and insurance before deciding on how many
> kids signed up is enough to make it "worth it."

Well, that depends on how it is offered. If the conference is offering
these facilities, then yes. If it's in the form of "there's these
services nearby where we've arranged a special deal for attendees", then
liability and insurance will be taken on by the 3rd parties.

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the

     - Heinrich Heine

---

Re: Child care

Delphine Ménard

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Edward Saperia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It looks like this childcare facility is very close to the venue:
>
> http://www.brighthorizons.co.uk/our-nurseries/city-child-nursery-london/about-this-nursery/overview
>
> I'll look at figuring something out with them.

That would be really great.

For what it's worth, even some kind of "informal" student-is-here that
you can call to take your kids out to the playground next door would
be a tremendous help.

Cheers,

Delphine
(considering coming to Wikimania with 1 husband and 2 kids :P)

--
@notafish

Re: Child care

Rich Farmbrough
I think it unlikely that more than one or two short term vacancies can
be found nearby, these places generally have a very high staff-to-child
ratio (by law it has to be for pre-schoolers 1:3 for under twos, for
example).

Were we to provide creche facilities  we would have to have DBS
certificates for all staff, unless we had a third party - even then we
would have check that they checked!

http://www.tinies.com/creches/event-childcare/, for example provide
event crèches and childcare.

On 01/03/2014 08:23, Katie Chan wrote:

> On 28/02/2014 17:44, Nathan wrote:
>> Better investigate liability and insurance before deciding on how many
>> kids signed up is enough to make it "worth it."
>>

> Well, that depends on how it is offered. If the conference is offering
> these facilities, then yes. If it's in the form of "there's these
> services nearby where we've arranged a special deal for attendees",
> then liability and insurance will be taken on by the 3rd parties.
>
> KTC

Re: Child care

Ivan Martínez
For the bid of Mexico City we are considering close the kid's area of the venue and hire professional childcare in that space.
This is the space with a lot of books, indeed:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2015_bids/Mexico_City/Biblioteca_Vasconcelos#Kid.27s_area

[...]

Atentamente:

Iván Martínez
Presidente
Wikimedia México A.C.
wikimedia.mx

Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre a la suma total del conocimiento humano.
Eso es lo que estamos haciendo.

Re: Child care

Stuart Prior

I have made some calls and looked around for third party childcare in the local area. Unfortunately there are some problems.

The timing of the conference doesn't help as most daycare or nurseries are only open during the school term and close in the summer, so there isn't anything local where you could drop kids off for the day.
Additionally while it would still be easier to find somewhere to look after children during the day, the evening might present a bit of a problem.
To give an idea of cost, one person I spoke to quoted £12.50 per hour, per child.

I understand in previous Wikimania's that groups of parents have come together to arrange childcare between them. This will be the best option as they could arrange something where they can say "We need x children looked after for x hours."

Would you want this organised via the site?

Best

On 27 March 2014 02:23, Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Wikimania Liaison
Wikimedia UK
+44 20 7065 0990

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: Child care

Thomas Morton

Having an event creche company is really the only viable option; fortunately there are a few about, tend to be reasonably priced.

The only two sticking points are that its currently quite late to be booking such things :) and, we'd need to organise an appropriate room (secure, to keep the kids in and undesirables out).

Tom