Classification/Categorization games for Commons?

Classification/Categorization games for Commons?

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
Hi, folks.

It occurs to me there are tens or hundreds of thousands of images donated en masse (GLAM etc.) that are only categorized as "image from X collection" or "Files donated by X", i.e. essentially uncategorized by content.

This obviously greatly reduces the likelihood of discoverability and re-use.  But it's hard to find such files, and the massive categories (thousands of files, often) don't make organizing the work easy.

I'm think of a gamified interface -- à la Wikidata Game -- that would let a volunteer (after OAuth identification) pick a category (from a pre-fed list of massive categories of donated files) and show one photo from the category that has only that category listed (i.e. has no categorization by content), and let the volunteer type (with auto-complete, like HotCat) some appropriate categories and hit Save, and the categories would be added, and the next file shown.

(Optionally, a second layer of verification could be added, where volunteers would [also] be invited to vet or change previous volunteers' categorization, and actual change to categories on Commons would only take place after 2 (or N) users approved the categories.  I'm not at all sure this is needed, and I think we can start without it and see how it goes.)

So, does something like this exist?  If not, who wants to build it? :)

   A.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Classification/Categorization games for Commons?

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
Hey Yaroslav and Asaf,

From the SDC team perspective, I think it would definitely be preferable for such a tool to include/anticipate the need for structured data on Commons, or default to filling in Depicts and/or other structure data fields. Building more tools which generate categories by default would definitely be a bit counter-productive (and hard on multilingual contributors). One option, might be designing such a tool to work with Artworks and other unique objects (like photographs) already on Wikidata, and then have it prepared to hook up with the  Wikibase/Structured data features that will go live on Commons in the fall.

Cheers,

Alex

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Absolutely; I wanted to know if such a tool perhaps already exists.  If one
does not, then definitely, if we develop a tool, it should look to the
future and be based on Structured Data on Commons already!

   A.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 8:54 PM Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it is pretty similar to what we have built in Wikidata, Do
> Structured Commons folks want to comment?
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, folks.
> >
> > It occurs to me there are tens or hundreds of thousands of images donated
> > en masse (GLAM etc.) that are only categorized as "image from X
> collection"
> > or "Files donated by X", i.e. essentially uncategorized by content.
> >
> > This obviously greatly reduces the likelihood of discoverability and
> > re-use.  But it's hard to find such files, and the massive categories
> > (thousands of files, often) don't make organizing the work easy.
> >
> > I'm think of a gamified interface -- à la Wikidata Game -- that would
> let a
> > volunteer (after OAuth identification) pick a category (from a pre-fed
> list
> > of massive categories of donated files) and show one photo from the
> > category that has only that category listed (i.e. has no categorization
> by
> > content), and let the volunteer type (with auto-complete, like HotCat)
> some
> > appropriate categories and hit Save, and the categories would be added,
> and
> > the next file shown.
> >
> > (Optionally, a second layer of verification could be added, where
> > volunteers would [also] be invited to vet or change previous volunteers'
> > categorization, and actual change to categories on Commons would only
> take
> > place after 2 (or N) users approved the categories.  I'm not at all sure
> > this is needed, and I think we can start without it and see how it goes.)
> >
> > So, does something like this exist?  If not, who wants to build it? :)
> >
> >    A.

Alex Stinson
GLAM-Wiki Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations: https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Classification/Categorization games for Commons?

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
I'd be more concern that the game throws up very generic and vague descriptions like, person, ship, cat, dog, tree, flowers, street. Which in itself might seem helpful but may not even highlight the important aspect.
  • Would a bot doing an initial keyword search of the description be more effective
  • descriptions should already have a language code embedded.
  • I would hope many of the GLAMs have embedded keywords in the meta data/camera info which could be extracted like co-ords are.

On 7 June 2018 at 02:07, Alex Stinson via Commons-l <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Yaroslav and Asaf,

From the SDC team perspective, I think it would definitely be preferable for such a tool to include/anticipate the need for structured data on Commons, or default to filling in Depicts and/or other structure data fields. Building more tools which generate categories by default would definitely be a bit counter-productive (and hard on multilingual contributors). One option, might be designing such a tool to work with Artworks and other unique objects (like photographs) already on Wikidata, and then have it prepared to hook up with the  Wikibase/Structured data features that will go live on Commons in the fall.

Cheers,

Alex

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Absolutely; I wanted to know if such a tool perhaps already exists.  If one
does not, then definitely, if we develop a tool, it should look to the
future and be based on Structured Data on Commons already!

   A.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 8:54 PM Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it is pretty similar to what we have built in Wikidata, Do
> Structured Commons folks want to comment?
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, folks.
> >
> > It occurs to me there are tens or hundreds of thousands of images donated
> > en masse (GLAM etc.) that are only categorized as "image from X
> collection"
> > or "Files donated by X", i.e. essentially uncategorized by content.
> >
> > This obviously greatly reduces the likelihood of discoverability and
> > re-use.  But it's hard to find such files, and the massive categories
> > (thousands of files, often) don't make organizing the work easy.
> >
> > I'm think of a gamified interface -- à la Wikidata Game -- that would
> let a
> > volunteer (after OAuth identification) pick a category (from a pre-fed
> list
> > of massive categories of donated files) and show one photo from the
> > category that has only that category listed (i.e. has no categorization
> by
> > content), and let the volunteer type (with auto-complete, like HotCat)
> some
> > appropriate categories and hit Save, and the categories would be added,
> and
> > the next file shown.
> >
> > (Optionally, a second layer of verification could be added, where
> > volunteers would [also] be invited to vet or change previous volunteers'
> > categorization, and actual change to categories on Commons would only
> take
> > place after 2 (or N) users approved the categories.  I'm not at all sure
> > this is needed, and I think we can start without it and see how it goes.)
> >
> > So, does something like this exist?  If not, who wants to build it? :)
> >
> >    A.

Alex Stinson
GLAM-Wiki Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations: https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM

Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), Never Again: Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8, UWAP, 2017.  Order here.