Clean-up your homes

Re: Clean-up your homes

Stefan Kühn-3
> Stefan Kühn wrote:
> > I (sk) have 44G and I am not happy about that. But when I scan the dumps
> > from many languages for the Templatetiger, then I need a space for the
> > results. At the moment I download and unzip the XML-Dumps under
> > /mnt/user-store/dump. The txt-files of the result are stored in my
> > home-directory. This will take alone 39G. User:Kolossos need the results
> > of the scan for the next step in the templatetiger-process.
> >
> > It is a way to store the results under /mnt/user-store/sk ?
>
> I didn't really understand this post. Just tell the script to output the
> results to /mnt/user-store/sk/results.txt. What's the problem?

What is allowed to store in this directory /mnt/user-store/ ?

I don't want crash this directory with my data. Why it is a problem to store big datasets in my home-directory and not a problem to store it under /mnt/user-store/ ?

Yes it is no problem to change the savepoint in my script, but it this what we want? IMHO than we don't need a home-directory. :-) Also no skript can check how much data every user store at the toolserver.

Stefan (sk)

Re: Clean-up your homes

DaB.-2
Hello,
At Thursday 15 September 2011 14:14:36 DaB. wrote:
> What is allowed to store in this directory /mnt/user-store/ ?

As long as other users can/will use the data too: yes.

> I don't want crash this directory with my data. Why it is a problem to
> store big datasets in my home-directory and not a problem to store it
> under /mnt/user-store/ ?

There are 2 main differences between home and user-store:
-user-store have way more space then home
-user-store is not back-uped.

It is no problem to store big files in your home as long as you need them.

Sincerly,
DaB.

--
Userpage: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]] — PGP: 2B255885

Re: Clean-up your homes

Stefan Kühn-3
> Hello,
> At Thursday 15 September 2011 14:14:36 DaB. wrote:
>> What is allowed to store in this directory /mnt/user-store/ ?
>
> As long as other users can/will use the data too: yes.
>

>> I don't want crash this directory with my data. Why it is a problem to
>> store big datasets in my home-directory and not a problem to store it
>> under /mnt/user-store/ ?
>
> There are 2 main differences between home and user-store:
> -user-store have way more space then home
> -user-store is not back-uped.
>
> It is no problem to store big files in your home as long as you need them.

Thanks, for this info. I don't need a backup of this data, so I will
change the savepoint of the data in my script.

Stefan

Re: Clean-up your homes

MZMcBride-2
DaB. wrote:
> There are 2 main differences between home and user-store:
> -user-store have way more space then home
> -user-store is not back-uped.
>
> It is no problem to store big files in your home as long as you need them.

/home/<user>/ has a space quota and requires bothering sysadmins to increase
the quota as necessary. /mnt/user-store/ has over 800 GB available and has
no quotas.

Stefan Kühn wrote:
> Thanks, for this info. I don't need a backup of this data, so I will
> change the savepoint of the data in my script.

Sounds like a good idea. :-)

MZMcBride