Client side transcoding with firefogg (early testing)...

Client side transcoding with firefogg (early testing)...

Michael Dale-4
While the upload API is under development / stabilization ... I hacked
in basic firefogg upload support to the add_media_wizard ...  Since
firefogg works over post you can use it with the existing upload
interface (without good error handling).... If you first download the
browser extension from firefogg.org you can do client side transcoding
by adding in:

importScriptURI('http://mvbox2.cse.ucsc.edu/wiki/extensions/MetavidWiki/skins/add_media_wizard.js');

to your User:Name/monobook.js page on commons... once added visit the
upload page and hopefully it gives you the option to transcode ;)

This is just a proof of concept demo.. we should soon have real
integration ;)

peace,
--michael

Re: [Wikitech-l] Client side transcoding with firefogg (early testing)...

Michael Dale-4
opps bad url for add_media_wizard try:

importScriptURI('http://mvbox2.cse.ucsc.edu/w/extensions/MetavidWiki/skins/add_media_wizard.js');

--michael

Michael Dale wrote:

> While the upload API is under development / stabilization ... I hacked
> in basic firefogg upload support to the add_media_wizard ...  Since
> firefogg works over post you can use it with the existing upload
> interface (without good error handling).... If you first download the
> browser extension from firefogg.org you can do client side transcoding
> by adding in:
>
> importScriptURI('http://mvbox2.cse.ucsc.edu/wiki/extensions/MetavidWiki/skins/add_media_wizard.js');
>
> to your User:Name/monobook.js page on commons... once added visit the
> upload page and hopefully it gives you the option to transcode ;)
>
> This is just a proof of concept demo.. we should soon have real
> integration ;)
>
> peace,
> --michael

Re: [Wikitech-l] Client side transcoding with firefogg (early testing)...

Brianna Laugher
Hi,

I don't think Michael sufficiently emphasised how cool these features
are, so I expanded a bit :)

<http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/184/media-handling-on-wikimedia-preview-the-future-part-1>
<http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/180/media-handling-on-wikimedia-preview-the-future-part-2>

If you are an adventurous type, please try them out now and report any
problems or suggestions.

If a few of us do that then I think it would be great to install these
2 things as 2 separate Gadgets.

thanks,
Brianna

2009/1/20 Michael Dale <[hidden email]>:

> opps bad url for add_media_wizard try:
>
> importScriptURI('http://mvbox2.cse.ucsc.edu/w/extensions/MetavidWiki/skins/add_media_wizard.js');
>
> --michael
>

> Michael Dale wrote:
>> While the upload API is under development / stabilization ... I hacked
>> in basic firefogg upload support to the add_media_wizard ...  Since
>> firefogg works over post you can use it with the existing upload
>> interface (without good error handling).... If you first download the
>> browser extension from firefogg.org you can do client side transcoding
>> by adding in:
>>
>> importScriptURI('http://mvbox2.cse.ucsc.edu/wiki/extensions/MetavidWiki/skins/add_media_wizard.js');
>>
>> to your User:Name/monobook.js page on commons... once added visit the
>> upload page and hopefully it gives you the option to transcode ;)
>>
>> This is just a proof of concept demo.. we should soon have real
>> integration ;)
>>
>> peace,
>> --michael

http://modernthings.org/

Re: [Wikitech-l] Client side transcoding with firefogg (early testing)...

Walter Siegmund
Hi,

I tried the instructions in part 1 but was not able to see the
"Ubuntu icon/a film reel with a plus symbol". That is with OS X
10.4.11/Safari 3.2.1. I did empty my browser cache. I tried Camino
1.5 with the same result.

Best wishes,
Walter Siegmund

>Hi,
>
>I don't think Michael sufficiently emphasised how cool these features
>are, so I expanded a bit :)
>
><http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/184/media-handling-on-wikimedia-preview-the-future-part-1>
><http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/180/media-handling-on-wikimedia-preview-the-future-part-2>
>
>If you are an adventurous type, please try them out now and report any
>problems or suggestions.
>
>If a few of us do that then I think it would be great to install these
>2 things as 2 separate Gadgets.
>
>thanks,
>Brianna

Re: [Wikitech-l] Client side transcoding with firefogg (early testing)...

Daniel Schwen-2
> <http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/180/media-handling-on-wikimedia-pr
>eview-the-future-part-2>
> If a few of us do that then I think it would be great to install these
> 2 things as 2 separate Gadgets.
I second that. It ''is'' pretty cool. Although I'd like to have the option of
uploading higher quality versions. Kind of hurts me to see the output of my
brand new HD camcorder being downscaled to 400×226 px.

And for me the firefogg thingie freezes after
100% - Uploaded
Still the file seems to be fully uploaded.
Maybe an intercation with a gadget/script in my profile.
--
[[en:User:Dschwen]]
[[de:Benutzer:Dschwen]]

2009/1/29 Walter Siegmund <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I tried the instructions in part 1 but was not able to see the
> "Ubuntu icon/a film reel with a plus symbol". That is with OS X
> 10.4.11/Safari 3.2.1. I did empty my browser cache. I tried Camino
> 1.5 with the same result.

Hi Walter,

I see you copied a few things from my monobook.js, so you should have
other things installed. Do you see the "category tree" icon at the
right end of the icons above the edit box?
Here is a screenshot:
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Tgr/catinsert.js>

If you can see that, but not that film reel one, then it is a problem
with the Metavid script. If you can't see either, then I suspect your
cache is still not emptied.

Or, hmm, maybe there is something Firefox specific about these
scripts... but just for the add-media wizard, I think it is only
Javascript stuff...

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

2009/1/29 Daniel Schwen <[hidden email]>:
>> <http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/180/media-handling-on-wikimedia-pr
>>eview-the-future-part-2>
>> If a few of us do that then I think it would be great to install these
>> 2 things as 2 separate Gadgets.
> I second that. It ''is'' pretty cool. Although I'd like to have the option of
> uploading higher quality versions. Kind of hurts me to see the output of my
> brand new HD camcorder being downscaled to 400×226 px.

Well, I don't think this will mean the end of client-side (client?)
transcoding for those who know and care about the difference in such
settings.

> And for me the firefogg thingie freezes after
> 100% - Uploaded
> Still the file seems to be fully uploaded.
> Maybe an intercation with a gadget/script in my profile.

Oh...OK this is not quite your problem I should also mention... there
is currently a bug with the Commons upload forms, where any info you
enter into the form fields is thrown away. *cough*
Michael knows about this, so hopefully it will be fixed soon. I did
mention that's kind of a killer bug for us. :)

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: [Wikitech-l] Client side transcoding with firefogg (early testing)...

Walter Siegmund
I used Add-media Wizard to illustrate a page in my
userspace.[http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Wsiegmund/species#List_of_species_photographed_and_uploaded_.282008-08-27.29]
I think it shows a lot of promise. As Brianna mentions, better search
options would be nice. The crop feature is splendid. Aspect ratio
constraints may be useful, e.g., 2x3 and 3x2, as that might make
article illustrations more consistent.

Add-media Wizard runs on my system (OS X 10.4.11/Safari 3.2.1). It
didn't work at first because my skin preference was set to "modern",
but I edited monobook.js.

--Walt

>2009/1/29 Walter Siegmund <[hidden email]>:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I tried the instructions in part 1 but was not able to see the
>>  "Ubuntu icon/a film reel with a plus symbol". That is with OS X
>>  10.4.11/Safari 3.2.1. I did empty my browser cache. I tried Camino
>>  1.5 with the same result.
>
>Hi Walter,
>
>I see you copied a few things from my monobook.js, so you should have
>other things installed. Do you see the "category tree" icon at the
>right end of the icons above the edit box?
>Here is a screenshot:
><http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Tgr/catinsert.js>
>
>If you can see that, but not that film reel one, then it is a problem
>with the Metavid script. If you can't see either, then I suspect your
>cache is still not emptied.
>
>Or, hmm, maybe there is something Firefox specific about these
>scripts... but just for the add-media wizard, I think it is only
>Javascript stuff...
>
>Brianna
>
>--
>They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment:
>http://modernthings.org/

Re: [Wikitech-l] Client side transcoding with firefogg (early testing)...

Michael Dale-4
thanks for the feedback .. I will try and add in some more robustness to
avoid the skin/browser conflicts. Also should be able to add in scale
and layout buttons. Soon after I will try and get it in the gadget space
for wider testing.

The firefogg stuff is temporarily disabled as some API conflicts emerged
as resume upload support got added in. Should be working again soon with
resume upload support :)

peace,
--michael