Co-ordinates for a path

Richard Symonds-3
All,

I have some videos of the seabed of the Dogger Bank, which includes some footage of wrecks on the bed, marine life, and parts of prehistoric settlements.

I have the exact co-ordinates of the videos - however, because it's a video, the co-ordinates change over time, and the moving co-ordinates of the file can't really be entered into Commons - or can they?

Can anyone help with this? *

What's the best way to record the co-ordinates if they move over the duration of the video?*

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: Co-ordinates for a path

Reguyla

Take me off these spam lists. Since editors arent wanted on the wmf projects and the wmf wants to enable bully behavior by admins I dont want to be spammed with this crap anymore.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

Re: Co-ordinates for a path

Nahid Sultan
There is a 'Unsubscribe' button at the bottom of every mail. Why don't you use that?

---

Nahid Sultan
Member of Wikimedia ombudsman commission

Facebook | Nahid Sultan
Twitter | @nahidunlimited

Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 03:22:22 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Commons-l] Co-ordinates for a path

Take me off these spam lists. Since editors arent wanted on the wmf projects and the wmf wants to enable bully behavior by admins I dont want to be spammed with this crap anymore.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

Re: Co-ordinates for a path

Reguyla

Because it doesnt work. Probably because my account is globally blocked to prevent me from improving the projects and to enforce my bullshit abusive ban on enwp..

Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 03:22:22 -0700
From:[hidden email]
To:[hidden email];[hidden email]

Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 03:22:22 -0700
From:[hidden email]
To:[hidden email];[hidden email]

Take me off these spam lists. Since editors arent wanted on the wmf projects and the wmf wants to enable bully behavior by admins I dont want to be spammed with this crap anymore.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

Re: Co-ordinates for a path

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com
(sorry for offtopic)

As an list administrator, I have unsubscribed you from commons-l.

However, I want to tell you that you can unsubscribe by yourself regardless of your wikimedia account status.

Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 03:22:22 -0700
From:[hidden email]
To:[hidden email];[hidden email]

Take me off these spam lists. Since editors arent wanted on the wmf projects and the wmf wants to enable bully behavior by admins I dont want to be spammed with this crap anymore.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

Re: Co-ordinates for a path

Andrew Gray-3
I don't know if there's a best practice, but two options that come to mind:

* Bounding box and centrepoint (as with a map); this has the
disadvantage that it covers a lot of area and none of the coordinates
listed might actually be anywhere near the ones seen on the film! On
the other hand, it's certainly best for, say, a long series of
S-shaped sampling tracks back and forth. (I should know what these are
called)

* An arbitrary point (say, midpoint of track) with other coordinates
listed - say, start, end, points of particular interest. I'm not
immediately sure if anything picks up coordinates mentioned in the
file description, but at least they're there for future use as and
when such tools appear.

Andrew.

On 10 May 2016 at 11:36, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, can anyone answer my question?
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992

> movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over
> Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.
>

> On 10 May 2016 at 11:33, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Because it doesnt work. Probably because my account is globally blocked to
>> prevent me from improving the projects and to enforce my bullshit abusive
>> ban on enwp..
>>

>> Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

- Andrew Gray

Re: Co-ordinates for a path

Pine W

I'm wondering if Wikidata could help with this in any way, so I'm pinging Lydia.

Pine

Re: Co-ordinates for a path

James Heald
As yet there's no data structure defined in Wikidata for lists of things
-- eg lists of coordinates.

This is something that is recognised as needed, eg to record the
boundaries of administrative areas.

However, WD would in any case only store such data for something that
was WD-notable -- not a GPS trace for a video, because the video
wouldn't have a Wikidata item.

In future however such a video would have an item in the analogous
CommonsData system that's planned, and that's somewhere it might well
make sense to record a stream of co-ordinates.

A separate issue would be that the co-ordinates would ideally be linked
to particular time-points in the video.  I don't think anyone has yet
done any much thinking about how the system in general would need to be
extended to time-based information.  Perhaps all it needs it is to
simply create lots of different statements, each with a qualifier
indicating the relevant time. (As one might have, eg to state different
subjects shown in the video). In which case one might not need a single
list-like vector item after all, just a lot of separate statements.

   -- James.

On 10/05/2016 18:28, Pine W wrote:

> I'm wondering if Wikidata could help with this in any way, so I'm pinging
> Lydia.
>
> Pine

Re: Co-ordinates for a path

Lydia Pintscher
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 7:39 PM James Heald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes. Exactly as James says.

Cheers
Lydia
--
Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin

Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: Co-ordinates for a path

geni
On 10 May 2016 at 10:17, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have some videos of the seabed of the Dogger Bank, which includes some
> footage of wrecks on the bed, marine life, and parts of prehistoric
> settlements.
>
> I have the exact co-ordinates of the videos - however, because it's a video,
> the co-ordinates change over time, and the moving co-ordinates of the file
> can't really be entered into Commons - or can they?
>
> Can anyone help with this? *
>
> What's the best way to record the co-ordinates if they move over the
> duration of the video?*
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992

In theory you could present the info using the Image label templates.
Use a map of the area as your image and then drop in lables for the
video coordinates at various times. Like this but with times rather
than items:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Geni/map_nav

Would be quite a lot of work mind.

--