Combined Federal Campaign

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Combined Federal Campaign

David Monniaux-2
An email on OTRS suggests the Wikimedia Foundation should be on the list
of charities of this system.
I'm unsure we can apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Federal_Campaign
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Combined Federal Campaign

Sebastian Moleski
On 11/28/06, David Monniaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> An email on OTRS suggests the Wikimedia Foundation should be on the list
> of charities of this system.
> I'm unsure we can apply.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Federal_Campaign


This seems like an interesting source of donations to pursue. As to
eligibility, from what I read, Wikimedia should fall under the eligibility
criteria (provided they are up to par on the usual paperwork required of
charities). I've looked at the list of organizations (
http://www.cfctoday.org/federations/index.html) that are currently part of
the program. Among them were several who in whole or part have education as
one of their goals so I don't see why Wikimedia could not be eligible.

Regards,

Sebastian Moleski
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Combined Federal Campaign

Andrew Gray
On 28/11/06, Sebastian Moleski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/28/06, David Monniaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > An email on OTRS suggests the Wikimedia Foundation should be on the list
> > of charities of this system.
> > I'm unsure we can apply.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Federal_Campaign
>
>
> This seems like an interesting source of donations to pursue. As to
> eligibility, from what I read, Wikimedia should fall under the eligibility
> criteria (provided they are up to par on the usual paperwork required of
> charities). I've looked at the list of organizations (
> http://www.cfctoday.org/federations/index.html) that are currently part of
> the program. Among them were several who in whole or part have education as
> one of their goals so I don't see why Wikimedia could not be eligible.

I'm unsure quite what "demonstrate that they provide or conduct real
services, benefits, assistance or program activities in [geographic
areas]" might mean - online-only projects which don't give physical
charitable donations might get a bit misplaced under a strict reading
of this.

I suppose there's nothing to be lost in sounding it out.

--
- Andrew Gray
  [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Combined Federal Campaign

Brad Patrick
There are a number of lists of US charities for which WMF has not been
included to date, owing to its lack of audit.  Our auditors are presenting
their final report to the Board this week; expect many things to change in
the coming weeks, for the good!

-Brad

On 11/28/06, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 28/11/06, Sebastian Moleski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 11/28/06, David Monniaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > An email on OTRS suggests the Wikimedia Foundation should be on the
> list
> > > of charities of this system.
> > > I'm unsure we can apply.
> > >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Federal_Campaign
> >
> >
> > This seems like an interesting source of donations to pursue. As to
> > eligibility, from what I read, Wikimedia should fall under the
> eligibility
> > criteria (provided they are up to par on the usual paperwork required of
> > charities). I've looked at the list of organizations (
> > http://www.cfctoday.org/federations/index.html) that are currently part
> of
> > the program. Among them were several who in whole or part have education
> as
> > one of their goals so I don't see why Wikimedia could not be eligible.
>
> I'm unsure quite what "demonstrate that they provide or conduct real
> services, benefits, assistance or program activities in [geographic
> areas]" might mean - online-only projects which don't give physical
> charitable donations might get a bit misplaced under a strict reading
> of this.
>
> I suppose there's nothing to be lost in sounding it out.
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>



--
Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l