CommonTasks

Samuli Lintula
On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:19:11 +0300, Fredrik Josefsson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fourth. Because of the increased traffic, there is a
> larger backlog, although not critical.

Fred, thank you for these statistics. I personally feel that thay are
useful as they are motivating for two reasons:
1. They list important things we can do something about.
2. They show how badly we are needed.

True, the second point isn't always so motivating. That's why I have
thought about ways to make the statistics more motivating or using them in
a better way.

What I've been thinking is weekly tasks. These tasks could be something
like
*delete backlog of images without source/license
*removing duplicates
*dealing with backlog in deletion requests
*deling with images that have {{delete}} tag but aren't in deletion
requests
*Orgullobots Welcome log
*{{CopyrightedFreeUse}}
*http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Wantedcategories
*many other
*sorting images

The benefits of weekly tasks and working on a common goal include at least:

1. Doing things together is more fun
2. Working together shows our combined power
3. Achieving a goal feels good
4. Even big tasks are doable

Working on this model further, I propose we have two weekly (or biweekly
or whatever) tasks: one which requires admin privileges and one which
doesn't. This way we'd always have something to offer to those who are not
admins - and vice versa. Also when we see who participate in CommonTasks
(tm) we know who could be future admins.

PS. Now expect you to tell me that this already exists but I just don't
know about it ;)

--
Ystävällisin terveisin,
Samuli Lintula

--
Ystävällisin terveisin,
Samuli Lintula

Re: CommonTasks

Eugene Zelenko
Hi!

On 9/25/06, Samuli Lintula <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:19:11 +0300, Fredrik Josefsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Fourth. Because of the increased traffic, there is a
> > larger backlog, although not critical.
>
> Fred, thank you for these statistics. I personally feel that thay are
> useful as they are motivating for two reasons:
> 1. They list important things we can do something about.
> 2. They show how badly we are needed.
>
> True, the second point isn't always so motivating. That's why I have
> thought about ways to make the statistics more motivating or using them in
> a better way.
>
> What I've been thinking is weekly tasks. These tasks could be something
> like
> *delete backlog of images without source/license
> *removing duplicates
> *dealing with backlog in deletion requests
> *deling with images that have {{delete}} tag but aren't in deletion
> requests
> *Orgullobots Welcome log
> *{{CopyrightedFreeUse}}
> *http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Wantedcategories
> *many other
> *sorting images
>
> The benefits of weekly tasks and working on a common goal include at least:
>
> 1. Doing things together is more fun
> 2. Working together shows our combined power
> 3. Achieving a goal feels good
> 4. Even big tasks are doable
>
> Working on this model further, I propose we have two weekly (or biweekly
> or whatever) tasks: one which requires admin privileges and one which
> doesn't. This way we'd always have something to offer to those who are not
> admins - and vice versa. Also when we see who participate in CommonTasks
> (tm) we know who could be future admins.
>
> PS. Now expect you to tell me that this already exists but I just don't
> know about it ;)
>
> --
> Ystävällisin terveisin,
> Samuli Lintula

I think, it's wonderful idea!

We could highlight problem area and improve our spirit - it much more
easy to do job when you could see that it's not Sisyphean toil :-)

Eugene.

Re: CommonTasks

Brianna Laugher
I think it's a great idea too. I'm away from Melbourne this week so
I'm just skimming my email, I hope by the time I get back and log in
again, it's all been set up. :)

Maybe a 2 week period would be better, though, given that many people
don't log into commons as much as, say, us? :)

Also, people should sign up to have their contribs recognised and get PRIZES!
or not. :)

Brianna