Commons:Quality Images reaches 1000 QIs in less than a year

Commons:Quality Images reaches 1000 QIs in less than a year

Brianna Laugher
Hello,

I'm writing to let the wider community know about the success of a
project in Wikimedia Commons known as 'Quality Images' (QI).
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Quality_Images

QI was started on 26 June 2006 by user:Gnangarra. In around a year it
had recognised 1000 images as 'quality images' and the total currently
stands at over 1150. A graph of its progress is here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:QI_verdicts.png

It is a complementary process similar to "Featured pictures", but with
this important difference:

"Quality images differ from featured pictures in that they are all
self published images by contributors to Commons. Quality images don't
have to be particularly extraordinary, impressive or outstanding among
pictures on Commons. All they have to do is to meet certain mostly
technical quality standards, and be valuable for Wikimedia projects. "

There is no feeling that QIs have to be 'the best', only 'good
enough'. Hence there is no problem having many QIs of the same
subject, or a decent photograph of an otherwise boring subject.

The nomination process ("QIC" - quality image candidates) is also much
simpler and faster than the FP process ("FPC" - featured picture
candidates). Any registered user can review another person's
nomination. There is a simple 'consensual review' process for reviews
which are disputed.

Getting involved with QI is a great way to get feedback on your work,
improve your photography/image editing techniques and work your way up
to the more difficult FPC process. I encourage all Wikimedian
photographers to submit their work to QI and ensure its ongoing
success.

cheers,
Brianna
commons:user:pfctdayelise

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Commons:Quality Images reaches 1000 QIs in less than a year

Casey Brown-3
The project in itself is a very good idea, I must say.  (/me takes a mental
note to become a little more involved).

But congratulations to Commons for getting 1000 quality images in around a
year!  That in itself is a great achievement.

On 8/8/07, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm writing to let the wider community know about the success of a
> project in Wikimedia Commons known as 'Quality Images' (QI).
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Quality_Images
>
> QI was started on 26 June 2006 by user:Gnangarra. In around a year it
> had recognised 1000 images as 'quality images' and the total currently
> stands at over 1150. A graph of its progress is here:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:QI_verdicts.png
>
> It is a complementary process similar to "Featured pictures", but with
> this important difference:
>
> "Quality images differ from featured pictures in that they are all
> self published images by contributors to Commons. Quality images don't
> have to be particularly extraordinary, impressive or outstanding among
> pictures on Commons. All they have to do is to meet certain mostly
> technical quality standards, and be valuable for Wikimedia projects. "
>
> There is no feeling that QIs have to be 'the best', only 'good
> enough'. Hence there is no problem having many QIs of the same
> subject, or a decent photograph of an otherwise boring subject.
>
> The nomination process ("QIC" - quality image candidates) is also much
> simpler and faster than the FP process ("FPC" - featured picture
> candidates). Any registered user can review another person's
> nomination. There is a simple 'consensual review' process for reviews
> which are disputed.
>
> Getting involved with QI is a great way to get feedback on your work,
> improve your photography/image editing techniques and work your way up
> to the more difficult FPC process. I encourage all Wikimedian
> photographers to submit their work to QI and ensure its ongoing
> success.
>
> cheers,
> Brianna
> commons:user:pfctdayelise
>

> --
> They've just been waiting in a mountain for the right moment:
> http://modernthings.org/

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---