Commons SumItUp

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Commons SumItUp

Magnus Manske
I've worked some more on my SumIrUp tool [1], which can generate a list
of language templates with one-line descriptions for a new article. All
it needs is a starting point, namely this article in any language. From
there, it will spider all the language links, and gather the initial
paragraph/sentence of each article. It then generates a
copy-and-paste-ready text, including language links.

I was wondering - why not link to this tool in the instructions text for
new articles? There could be a link to this tool using the name of the
page to be created, and en.wikipedia as default. If an article with that
name exists on en.wikipedia, it will generate said list of one-line
descriptions which can be copied into that article. As this is exactly
what commons articles/categories *should* contain, it might be a huge help.

Magnus

[1] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/commons_sumitup.php



_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l

signature.asc (257 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Brianna Laugher
On 18/08/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was wondering - why not link to this tool in the instructions text for
> new articles?

What instruction text for new articles, exactly? You're welcome to add
it yourself, as is anyone.

 Or do you mean the "this page doesn't exist. click here to create it"
type text?

As this is exactly
> what commons articles/categories *should* contain, it might be a huge help.

Well, I have encountered some opposition to the idea that an article
with six pictures should have 30 different language introductions. :)

For proper nouns (people & places, mostly), I tend to feel only
different scripts are necessary. eg for the Australian city
'Melbourne', there would be at least 40 different articles on it, but
28 of those articles are at exactly "Melbourne". Although if we ever
want to supply better quality lang support, it would be best to supply
all. Hm. Perhaps better 'hiding' would be better, less annoying at
least...

cheers
Brianna
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Christian Richardt
In reply to this post by Magnus Manske
Hallo Markus,

Das ist eine wirklich gute Idee, die du da umgesetzt hast.

Ich hätte nur eine kleine Anmerkung: Wenn ich dein Tool mit "en:Soup"  
befülle, zeigt es auf der Ergebnisseite "{{de|----}}" an, weil der Artikel  
mit einer Vorlage und einer horizontalen Linie beginnt. Wäre toll, wenn du  
das beheben könntest.


Schöne Grüße,

Christian

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:07:22 +0100, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> I've worked some more on my SumIrUp tool [1], which can generate a list
> of language templates with one-line descriptions for a new article. All
> it needs is a starting point, namely this article in any language. From
> there, it will spider all the language links, and gather the initial
> paragraph/sentence of each article. It then generates a
> copy-and-paste-ready text, including language links.
>
> I was wondering - why not link to this tool in the instructions text for
> new articles? There could be a link to this tool using the name of the
> page to be created, and en.wikipedia as default. If an article with that
> name exists on en.wikipedia, it will generate said list of one-line
> descriptions which can be copied into that article. As this is exactly
> what commons articles/categories *should* contain, it might be a huge  
> help.
>
> Magnus
>
> [1] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/commons_sumitup.php
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Christian Richardt
I'd like to apologise for my German post to everybody. I didn't check the  
"To:" in my email client and this mailing list is configured to send  
replies to back to the list -- I didn't intend that and would like to  
apologise for it.

Christian

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:39:50 +0100, Christian Richardt <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> Hallo Markus,
>
> Das ist eine wirklich gute Idee, die du da umgesetzt hast.
>
> Ich hätte nur eine kleine Anmerkung: Wenn ich dein Tool mit "en:Soup"
> befülle, zeigt es auf der Ergebnisseite "{{de|----}}" an, weil der  
> Artikel
> mit einer Vorlage und einer horizontalen Linie beginnt. Wäre toll, wenn  
> du
> das beheben könntest.
>
>
> Schöne Grüße,
>
> Christian
>
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:07:22 +0100, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've worked some more on my SumIrUp tool [1], which can generate a list
>> of language templates with one-line descriptions for a new article. All
>> it needs is a starting point, namely this article in any language. From
>> there, it will spider all the language links, and gather the initial
>> paragraph/sentence of each article. It then generates a
>> copy-and-paste-ready text, including language links.
>>
>> I was wondering - why not link to this tool in the instructions text for
>> new articles? There could be a link to this tool using the name of the
>> page to be created, and en.wikipedia as default. If an article with that
>> name exists on en.wikipedia, it will generate said list of one-line
>> descriptions which can be copied into that article. As this is exactly
>> what commons articles/categories *should* contain, it might be a huge
>> help.
>>
>> Magnus
>>
>> [1] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/commons_sumitup.php
> _______________________________________________
> Commons-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Brianna Laugher
This should be a multilingual list.People are welcome to write in
whichever language(s) they choose.

Brianna

On 18/08/06, Christian Richardt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to apologise for my German post to everybody. I didn't check the
> "To:" in my email client and this mailing list is configured to send
> replies to back to the list -- I didn't intend that and would like to
> apologise for it.
>
> Christian
>
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:39:50 +0100, Christian Richardt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hallo Markus,
> >
> > Das ist eine wirklich gute Idee, die du da umgesetzt hast.
> >
> > Ich hätte nur eine kleine Anmerkung: Wenn ich dein Tool mit "en:Soup"
> > befülle, zeigt es auf der Ergebnisseite "{{de|----}}" an, weil der
> > Artikel
> > mit einer Vorlage und einer horizontalen Linie beginnt. Wäre toll, wenn
> > du
> > das beheben könntest.
> >
> >
> > Schöne Grüße,
> >
> > Christian
> >
> > On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:07:22 +0100, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I've worked some more on my SumIrUp tool [1], which can generate a list
> >> of language templates with one-line descriptions for a new article. All
> >> it needs is a starting point, namely this article in any language. From
> >> there, it will spider all the language links, and gather the initial
> >> paragraph/sentence of each article. It then generates a
> >> copy-and-paste-ready text, including language links.
> >>
> >> I was wondering - why not link to this tool in the instructions text for
> >> new articles? There could be a link to this tool using the name of the
> >> page to be created, and en.wikipedia as default. If an article with that
> >> name exists on en.wikipedia, it will generate said list of one-line
> >> descriptions which can be copied into that article. As this is exactly
> >> what commons articles/categories *should* contain, it might be a huge
> >> help.
> >>
> >> Magnus
> >>
> >> [1] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/commons_sumitup.php
> > _______________________________________________
> > Commons-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
> _______________________________________________
> Commons-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
>
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Flominator
In reply to this post by Magnus Manske
Hi Magnus,

vielen Dank für das tolle Tool. Ich hätte da aber noch zwei kleine
Vorschläge für "Missing language links". Zum einen wäre ein Zeilenumbruch
nach jedem fehlenden Interwiki-Link zum Rauskopieren praktischer - zum
anderen wäre ein [edit]-Button neben dem Link zur Seite mit den fehlenden
IW-Links eine Kleinigkeit, die die Produktivität trotzdem noch minimal
steigern könnte und die Ladezeit und damit die Serverbelastung reduzieren
würde.

Vielen Dank im Voraus,

Flo

--
Wie nennt man den Großvater des ägyptischen Sonnengottes?
- Opera
----- Original Message -----
From: "Magnus Manske" <[hidden email]>
To: "Wikimedia Commons Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 3:07 PM
Subject: [Commons-l] Commons SumItUp


> _______________________________________________
> Commons-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
>

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Flominator
In reply to this post by Christian Richardt
"Christian Richardt" <[hidden email]> wrote on Friday, August 18, 2006 3:39
PM:

> Das ist eine wirklich gute Idee, die du da umgesetzt hast.

I second that :)

What exactly does "Suggest categories for images on commons page" do?

Thanks for the great tool,

Flo


--
=> ICQ# 40528212
=> [hidden email]
=> http://www.flominator.de 

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Magnus Manske
In reply to this post by Flominator
Florian Straub wrote:

> Hi Magnus,
>
> vielen Dank für das tolle Tool. Ich hätte da aber noch zwei kleine
> Vorschläge für "Missing language links". Zum einen wäre ein Zeilenumbruch
> nach jedem fehlenden Interwiki-Link zum Rauskopieren praktischer - zum
> anderen wäre ein [edit]-Button neben dem Link zur Seite mit den fehlenden
> IW-Links eine Kleinigkeit, die die Produktivität trotzdem noch minimal
> steigern könnte und die Ladezeit und damit die Serverbelastung reduzieren
> würde.
>  
Done.
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Magnus Manske
In reply to this post by Christian Richardt
Christian Richardt wrote:
> Hallo Markus,
>
> Das ist eine wirklich gute Idee, die du da umgesetzt hast.
>
> Ich hätte nur eine kleine Anmerkung: Wenn ich dein Tool mit "en:Soup"  
> befülle, zeigt es auf der Ergebnisseite "{{de|----}}" an, weil der Artikel  
> mit einer Vorlage und einer horizontalen Linie beginnt. Wäre toll, wenn du  
> das beheben könntest.
>  
Done.
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Magnus Manske
In reply to this post by Flominator
Florian Straub wrote:
> "Christian Richardt" <[hidden email]> wrote on Friday, August 18, 2006 3:39
> PM:
>
>  
>> Das ist eine wirklich gute Idee, die du da umgesetzt hast.
>>    
>
> I second that :)
>  
Thanks, both of you :-)
> What exactly does "Suggest categories for images on commons page" do?
>  

It will have that WikiSense tool suggest categories. It's probably not
an important function in this context. I'll leave it in for sentimental
reasons ;-)

Magnus
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Raimond Spekking-2
In reply to this post by Magnus Manske
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Magnus Manske schrieb:

> I've worked some more on my SumIrUp tool [1], which can generate a list
> of language templates with one-line descriptions for a new article. All
> it needs is a starting point, namely this article in any language. From
> there, it will spider all the language links, and gather the initial
> paragraph/sentence of each article. It then generates a
> copy-and-paste-ready text, including language links.
>
> I was wondering - why not link to this tool in the instructions text for
> new articles? There could be a link to this tool using the name of the
> page to be created, and en.wikipedia as default. If an article with that
> name exists on en.wikipedia, it will generate said list of one-line
> descriptions which can be copied into that article. As this is exactly
> what commons articles/categories *should* contain, it might be a huge help.
>
> Magnus
>
> [1] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/commons_sumitup.php
>
>

A very very nice tool. It's new to me and I will use it in the future.

But we need on Commons a technique to show only those translations of
the users language (stored in preferences) with a fallback option to
englisch and/or all.

Also usefull for the display of multilanguage descriptions in galleries.

Raymond.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFE9gXup+qUcbEr56YRAlF6AKDBzm+hczS8mEZBXMJShViXTdzzlwCfZ7HO
5yiBLqpNLOJgd4G6k3QQ/3U=
=Eg/i
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commons SumItUp

Brianna Laugher
On 31/08/06, Raimond Spekking <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A very very nice tool. It's new to me and I will use it in the future.
>
> But we need on Commons a technique to show only those translations of
> the users language (stored in preferences) with a fallback option to
> englisch and/or all.
>
> Also usefull for the display of multilanguage descriptions in galleries.

This can be achieved via CSS, for individual users. Put this into your
monobook.css:

.description { display: none; }
.en { display: block; }
.de { display: block; }

This will hide all descriptions by default, then show any English or German.

The major problem with this is that the vast majority of text is
incorrectly or not at all tagged. This technique works for things
tagged like

{{en|Explanation or caption}}

It won't work for things like

{{English}} Explanation or caption

or

'''en:''' Explanation or caption

There is a technique being developed at Meta called "Language select"
( http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Language_select ), which uses
Javascript and CSS, but is also not site-wide. (See that talk page for
discussion about using it on Commons)

I guess what we actually need is another entry in Special:Preferences
along the lines of 'show these languages' on multilingual sites.
Because for the interface, you can only set one language, whereas
there are many multilingual people who would be interested in having
multiple languages shown. There are also administrative types like
myself who are interested in seeing all languages, even though I can't
read most of them, to notice what kind of coverage we have, which
languages are needed, spot obvious vandalism, etc.

cheers
Brianna
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l