Commons browser

Magnus Manske
As a personal excercise in a programming language rather new to me, C#,
I have started a commons category browser. It uses WikiSense to generate
a commons category tree on-the-fly, and downloads the images in a
selected category to be displayed as thumbnails.

Noteworthy points:
* Tries to download existing image thumbnails first to increase
speed/save bandwidth
* Caches the thumbnail locally
* Doubleclick opens the browser with the image description page

Note that not much else is working right now; it's just what I hacked
together in an afternoon, in a programming language I'm still exploring.
Scrolling through thumbnails doesn't work yet, some images are ignored,
UTF8 category names are broken, etc.

Plans:
* Fix bugs
* Cache category tree locally
* Load thumbnails in the background, so one can browse in the meantime
* Analyze description pages in the background to mark images with
troublesome templates

For those not faint of heart, with a fast internet connection and .NET
2.0 installed (Window$ only, though AFAIK the current Mono should
theoretically support it):

http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/CommonsBrowser.zip

For the rest of you, here's a screenshot:

http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/Screenshot.png

Just the executable, source will be released under GPL, in anyone is
interested that is ;-)

Magnus

Re: Commons browser

Erik Moeller-3
On 6/16/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For the rest of you, here's a screenshot:
>
> http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/Screenshot.png

And when are you going to get a real operating system, Magnus? ;-)

Erik

Re: Commons browser

Magnus Manske
Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 6/16/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> For the rest of you, here's a screenshot:
>>
>> http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/Screenshot.png
>>

> And when are you going to get a real operating system, Magnus? ;-)

ATM, I work on three different operation systems, of which two qualify
as "real" ;-)

I jsut thought that when learning a M$-created programming language, I'd
start with their (free as in beer) IDE. AFAIK, Mono supports
Windows.Forms now, so I'll try that some day too...

Magnus

Re: Commons browser

Brion Vibber
Magnus Manske wrote:
> For those not faint of heart, with a fast internet connection and .NET
> 2.0 installed (Window$ only, though AFAIK the current Mono should
> theoretically support it):

Mono 1.1.15 doesn't seem too happy with it; it seems to be missing the
SplitContainer control. Got source I could look at?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Commons browser

Magnus Manske
Brion Vibber wrote:

> Magnus Manske wrote:
>
>> For those not faint of heart, with a fast internet connection and .NET
>> 2.0 installed (Window$ only, though AFAIK the current Mono should
>> theoretically support it):
>>

> Mono 1.1.15 doesn't seem too happy with it; it seems to be missing the
> SplitContainer control. Got source I could look at?

Sure:
http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/CommonsBrowserProject.zip

This version also caches the categories in local files. No built-in
cache flushing yet, though.

Magnus

Re: Commons browser

Brion Vibber
Magnus Manske wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>> Mono 1.1.15 doesn't seem too happy with it; it seems to be missing the
>> SplitContainer control. Got source I could look at?
>>
> Sure:
> http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/CommonsBrowserProject.zip

Yep, SplitContainer isn't implemented in Mono's System.Windows.Forms yet; it's a
.NET 2.0-only control, and not all of the class library is updated for 2.0. If
you can redo it with the older Splitter control it would likely work; or better
yet abstract out the UI so a Gtk# user interface can be written on it for Linux.

(Any reason you're not putting this in SVN?)

Brion Vibber wrote:

> Magnus Manske wrote:
>
>> Brion Vibber wrote:
>>
>>> Mono 1.1.15 doesn't seem too happy with it; it seems to be missing the
>>> SplitContainer control. Got source I could look at?
>>>

>> Sure:
>> http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/CommonsBrowserProject.zip
>>

> Yep, SplitContainer isn't implemented in Mono's System.Windows.Forms yet; it's a
> .NET 2.0-only control, and not all of the class library is updated for 2.0. If
> you can redo it with the older Splitter control it would likely work; or better
> yet abstract out the UI so a Gtk# user interface can be written on it for Linux.

Done (though I think I broke "paint" temporarily).
> (Any reason you're not putting this in SVN?)

It's in now.

Magnus