Commons content reuse how-to?

David Gerard-2
I have an email addres, [hidden email], set up for en:wp press
queries. Of course, it gets used as a sort of OTRS replacement.

One query I've gotten a bit lately is "may we reuse this text?" or
"may we reuse this image?" I email back explaining how the original
contributor owns it and there will be a license attached, which may be
easy or hard to keep to the terms of.

There is [[Commons:Licensing]], which seems mainly to be for
contributors. But is there a page on Commons that is a simple guide to
people wanting to reuse content? If not, should there be? Is there a
page anywhere else that serves this purpose?

(Let's assume for the moment I have little interest in diving
headfirst into Commons politics.)

- d.

Re: Commons content reuse how-to?

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
David Gerard wrote:

> I have an email addres, [hidden email], set up for en:wp press
> queries. Of course, it gets used as a sort of OTRS replacement.
>
> One query I've gotten a bit lately is "may we reuse this text?" or
> "may we reuse this image?" I email back explaining how the original
> contributor owns it and there will be a license attached, which may be
> easy or hard to keep to the terms of.
>
> There is [[Commons:Licensing]], which seems mainly to be for
> contributors. But is there a page on Commons that is a simple guide to
> people wanting to reuse content? If not, should there be? Is there a
> page anywhere else that serves this purpose?

Well, there's the OTRS templates:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/en#Permission_for_image
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/en#Permission_for_text

(No, they're not live)

> (Let's assume for the moment I have little interest in diving
> headfirst into Commons politics.)

Politics is silly.

Re: Commons content reuse how-to?

Mark
David Gerard wrote:
> There is [[Commons:Licensing]], which seems mainly to be for
> contributors. But is there a page on Commons that is a simple guide to
> people wanting to reuse content? If not, should there be? Is there a
> page anywhere else that serves this purpose?

There isn't, as far as I know.  There should be, though we should make
clear that we're providing informal/nonlegal guidelines that we think
(but don't guarantee) explain the requirements for reusers, because we
don't really have the authority to provide official interpretations of
licenses we didn't write.

Unofficial guidelines for the major licenses we use would be useful,
though---often the problem isn't so much the legal details, as the
potential reuser not even knowing in broad terms what the reuse
requirements are (for example, which licenses are copyleft ones and
which aren't?).

-Mark

On 02/09/06, Delirium <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There isn't, as far as I know.  There should be, though we should make
> clear that we're providing informal/nonlegal guidelines that we think
> (but don't guarantee) explain the requirements for reusers, because we
> don't really have the authority to provide official interpretations of
> licenses we didn't write.
> Unofficial guidelines for the major licenses we use would be useful,
> though---often the problem isn't so much the legal details, as the
> potential reuser not even knowing in broad terms what the reuse
> requirements are (for example, which licenses are copyleft ones and
> which aren't?).

OK. I've just started:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia

Could all concerned please dive upon it and fill in the gaps?

David Gerard wrote:

> On 02/09/06, Delirium <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There isn't, as far as I know.  There should be, though we should make
>> clear that we're providing informal/nonlegal guidelines that we think
>> (but don't guarantee) explain the requirements for reusers, because we
>> don't really have the authority to provide official interpretations of
>> licenses we didn't write.
>> Unofficial guidelines for the major licenses we use would be useful,
>> though---often the problem isn't so much the legal details, as the
>> potential reuser not even knowing in broad terms what the reuse
>> requirements are (for example, which licenses are copyleft ones and
>> which aren't?).
>

> OK. I've just started:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia
>
> Could all concerned please dive upon it and fill in the gaps?

Ok, I'll post something to commons-l...

On 03/09/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:

> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia

> Ok, I'll post something to commons-l...

Huh, I thought I was on commons-l and wasn't. Subscribed.

- d.