Commons reaches 5 million files

Hay (Husky)
Around 11:46 UTC we reached 5 million files on Commons! Not quite sure
which file is the 5th million, but this is one of the candidates:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kj%C3%B8benhavnsposten_28_nov_1838_side_1.jpg

Thanks everyone for making Commons such as a fantastic project, and
creating the world's largest repository of free images!

-- Hay

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Mathias Schindler-2
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Hay (Husky)<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Around 11:46 UTC we reached 5 million files on Commons! Not quite sure
> which file is the 5th million, but this is one of the candidates:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kj%C3%B8benhavnsposten_28_nov_1838_side_1.jpg

Does anyone else get a broken image at that url?

Mathias

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Effe iets anders
works fine here...

2009/9/2 Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]>

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Hay (Husky)<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Around 11:46 UTC we reached 5 million files on Commons! Not quite sure
> > which file is the 5th million, but this is one of the candidates:
> >

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kj%C3%B8benhavnsposten_28_nov_1838_side_1.jpg
>
> Does anyone else get a broken image at that url?
>
> Mathias

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

K. Peachey
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Mathias
Schindler<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Hay (Husky)<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Around 11:46 UTC we reached 5 million files on Commons! Not quite sure
>> which file is the 5th million, but this is one of the candidates:
>>
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kj%C3%B8benhavnsposten_28_nov_1838_side_1.jpg
>
> Does anyone else get a broken image at that url?
>
> Mathias
Nope, just make sure your browser is rendering the third character in
the file name properly.

-Peachey

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Nikola Smolenski
effe iets anders wrote:
> works fine here...

That's b/c the image was reverted. See file history.

> 2009/9/2 Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Hay (Husky)<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Around 11:46 UTC we reached 5 million files on Commons! Not quite sure
>>> which file is the 5th million, but this is one of the candidates:
>>>

>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kj%C3%B8benhavnsposten_28_nov_1838_side_1.jpg
>>
>> Does anyone else get a broken image at that url?

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Mathias Schindler-2
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM, effe iets
anders<[hidden email]> wrote:
> works fine here...

The broken version was reverted, it is now working again. In case you
want to test it, see the version history or get the following file:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/a/af/20090902125937!Kj%C3%B8benhavnsposten_28_nov_1838_side_1.jpg

From a PR perspective, taking this image as the 5millionth one is a
desaster, the only positive aspect is that it is "honest" to take that
one instead of a shiny picture.

Mathias

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Guillaume Paumier
Hello,

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Mathias
Schindler<[hidden email]> wrote:

> From a PR perspective, taking this image as the 5millionth one is a
> desaster, the only positive aspect is that it is "honest" to take that
> one instead of a shiny picture.

Nah, we can use it to make a case for Wikisource and encourage
libraries to provide high-quality scans!

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-2
How do we know this picture is the 5th million?

Just for curiosity, does anyone know what is the scanned paper about?

[]'s,

Tom

--
http://blogdotom.wordpress.com/sobre

Mathias Schindler wrote:
>>From a PR perspective, taking this image as the 5millionth one is a
> desaster, the only positive aspect is that it is "honest" to take that
> one instead of a shiny picture.

Perhaps not so much, as it happened to be a first page of the newspaper.

And I guess it is still better than the 2millionth file ;)

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Hay (Husky)
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Everton Zanella
Alvarenga<[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do we know this picture is the 5th million?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#5.000.000

And again, this is just a guess by Platonides. Apparently it could also be:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sollies_Ville_-_Valp_-_P1200358.JPG

-- Hay

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Cary Bass-4

I would also like to note, this image is a shiny example of the new
annotations feature!

Cary

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Pharos-3
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Cary Bass<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I agree, the scroll-over annotation and translation looks brilliant to my taste.

Thanks,
Pharos

> Cary

Re: Commons reaches 5 million files

Hay (Husky)
on Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Everton Zanella
Alvarenga<[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do we know this picture is the 5th million?
According to the description this is from an oppositional newspaper
calling for more democracy in the absolute monarchy of Denmark. Isn't
it a great coincidence that the 5th million media file on the free
media repository of Wikipedia happens to be a piece about democracy?
:)

-- Hay