Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

Daniel Arnold
Hi,

We have now started our official call for support regarding the long awaited
CommonsDelinker (-unlinker, -orphaner...).

Many people have agreed on the commons-l that we urgently need a bot for
delinking images in local wikis. Thus we now need to ask the foundation as
this bot necessarily will have to break usual bot rules as it needs to run in
every of the 701 Wikimedia wikis. It is unreasonable to await approval by 701
different Wikimedia wiki communities. They all use Wikimedia Commons and
Wikimedia Commons now needs to efficiently interact with them in return:

That for the administrators of Wikimedia Commons request to be exempt from
local bot policies in order to run this bot.

So I ask all people that are tired of time consuming human delinking in every
wiki and that want to get rid of our copyvio backlog efficiently sign this
call in meta-wiki (we need your support ;-):

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions/CommonsDelinker

Please also contact your local (wikipedia-, wikisource-, wikinews-...)
communities so that they are already prepared and know what it is about.
Communities that are openminded towards that service will take part as soon
as possible at the beta test phase of that bot running at large scale.

If you are interested to know how this bot will work in detail have a look at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:CommonsDelinker

Cheers, Arnomane

Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

> every of the 701 Wikimedia wikis. It is unreasonable to await approval by 701
> different Wikimedia wiki communities. They all use Wikimedia Commons and
> Wikimedia Commons now needs to efficiently interact with them in return:

There's something backwards about this - Commons was created as a
service project for the wikis. But instead of saving deleted images to
local wikis it goes and removes the references to the images?

- d.

Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

geni
> There's something backwards about this - Commons was created as a
> service project for the wikis. But instead of saving deleted images to
> local wikis it goes and removes the references to the images?

I think en.wikipedia can do without haveing copyvios from commons.
We've got enough of our own.

--
geni

Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

Matthew Brown-5
> There's something backwards about this - Commons was created as a
> service project for the wikis. But instead of saving deleted images to
> local wikis it goes and removes the references to the images?

The deleted files are by and large copyright violations.  Some of them
MAY be usable under fair use, but I don't think that's the job of the
person removing copyright violations to work out, is it?

-Matt

Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

David Gerard-2
On 23/09/06, Matt Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 9/22/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > There's something backwards about this - Commons was created as a
> > service project for the wikis. But instead of saving deleted images to
> > local wikis it goes and removes the references to the images?

> The deleted files are by and large copyright violations.  Some of them
> MAY be usable under fair use, but I don't think that's the job of the
> person removing copyright violations to work out, is it?

Yeah, true. I'm still not so sure we should be going back and removing
the image, rather than leaving a glaring gap for an interested editor
to spot, particularly on the big wikis. Hmm.

- d.

Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

> Yeah, true. I'm still not so sure we should be going back and removing
> the image, rather than leaving a glaring gap for an interested editor
> to spot, particularly on the big wikis. Hmm.

I mean "removing the image link from the article page, rather than
leaving a glaring gap".

- d.

Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

Brianna Laugher
Well, they all get really pissed about those "glaring gaps"
(=redlinks), so it seems many editors don't share this opinion.

Unfortunately.