Community Village and Meetups at Wikimania 2016

Community Village and Meetups at Wikimania 2016

Ginevra Sanvitale
Hi people,
it's finally time to send your applications for the Community Village at
Wikimania 2016:

https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_village

And you can also start planning your meetups:

https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetups

Finally, remember that the calls for discussions, posters and trainings
closes on March 20, so you have 10 days left!

Have a nice weekend,

Ginevra
Wikimania Programme Committee

Re: Community Village and Meetups at Wikimania 2016

Isaac Olatunde
Hi Ginevra,

No scholarship was awarded to any member of the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria. This is worrisome as Nigeria will not be represented at Wikimania. I don't think this is a good idea and I wonder why American and European countries have more representative than Africa. This is demoralizing and the community is not happy about it.

Warmest regards,

Olatunde Isaac,
Manager, Wikipedia Education Program Nigeria
Coordinator, The Wikipedia Library, Yoruba.
Secretary, Wikimedia User Group Nigeria.
Phone: +2348166620737
Email: [hidden email]
User page: Wikicology
Facebook: Olatunde Olalekan Isaac.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Re: Community Village and Meetups at Wikimania 2016

Nkansah Rexford

The scholarships are what they are: scholarships, not ticket to heaven.

Many factors go into approving an application for scholarships. Plus, hundreds if not thousands apply for the scholarships every year. NOT everyone can be accepted. Neither will everyone be rejected.

Some will need to go this year. Others will have to wait on the turn (assuming they check all the application requirement boxes) Unfortunately, this year, Nigeria couldn't win a scholarship slot. That's unfortunate but NOT demoralising, I think. It's not as if anyone promised you a scholarship...

To say it's 'demoralising' is a strong word to use here. How is it demoralising? No one has guaranteed anyone of a scholarship should they edit Wikipedia or not.

If because you didn't get the scholarship, and you think that's demoralising and wish to stop contributing to Wikipedia, that's in your hands. However, such an approach will defeat the whole purpose behind contributing to Wikipedia.

We don't contribute to Wikipedia because we want scholarship. Rather, it's primarily for the love of contributing to the freeness and openness of knowledge globally.

Nigeria isn't the only country in the world, nor the country without a representation this year at wikimania. That doesn't mean a country representing is better than Nigeria. It simply means, there're fewer slots than the scholarship grant can handle.

Forget about demoralisation! Help improve knowledge freely and openly. I find that to be of more concern than anything at the moment.

I'll recommend we work on meeting the application criteria from now until next year and hope to be called for scholarship. Even if then we're still not called, keep making the world a better place with free knowledge.

Hi Ginevra,

No scholarship was awarded to any member of the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria. This is worrisome as Nigeria will not be represented at Wikimania. I don't think this is a good idea and I wonder why American and European countries have more representative than Africa. This is demoralizing and the community is not happy about it.

Warmest regards,

Olatunde Isaac,
Manager, Wikipedia Education Program Nigeria
Coordinator, The Wikipedia Library, Yoruba.
Secretary, Wikimedia User Group Nigeria.
Phone: +2348166620737
Email: [hidden email]
User page: Wikicology
Facebook: Olatunde Olalekan Isaac.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Re: Community Village and Meetups at Wikimania 2016

Isaac Olatunde
Nkansah Rexford, I have no idea of why you directed such a non-sequitur comment to me. Regrettably, your tone is condescending with lack of empathy. Everyone have the right to voice their concerns and you're not in the best position to criticize them. That being said, Nobody begged for Wikimania scholarship but we have the right as a community to raise concern on certain issues and that is none of your business. You're neither a chair of the scholarship committee nor the Wikimedia Foundation Events Manager. You are not in the best position to respond to this. It is always a good idea to learn to be reserved.

I don't like to say you're crude and rude but kindly have the decency to be polite when addressing your fellow Wikipedians.

Warmest regards,

Olatunde Isaac.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Breakdown of attribution for scholarships

Florence Devouard-6
I would like to see a breakdown of scholarships attributed per countries.

My memory was that WMF was aiming to support 75% from Global South and
25% from Global North. However, I can not find track of that information
on the scholarship page :

* https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Scholarships/2016 which
refers, in terms of goals to
*
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Scholarships/SWOT_2005-2014_and_goals_for_2015

If the goal is 75% of Global South... given that Africa got 2%, I would
find interesting to know which countries were attributed the 73% left.

Florence

PS: transparency... right ?

*From: * Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>
*Date: *Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:30:07 +0000
*To: *<[hidden email]>; Wikimania general list (open
subscription)<[hidden email]>

[...]

Thanks for pointing out that the reporting about Wikimania tends to
be... full of holes :)

Digging, I found this:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars/2015_Outcomes

Which is... well... incomplete.

And the category
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimania_scholarships
is obviously... not complete either.

So, rephrasing....

I would find interesting to know which countries were attributed the
scholarships in 2016.

And I would find interesting to see the 2015 report completed as well :)

Flo

Le 11/03/16 16:31, Nkansah Rexford a écrit :

> [...]
>         knowledge.
>
>         Hi Ginevra,
>
>         No scholarship was awarded to any member of the Wikimedia User Group
>         Nigeria. This is worrisome as Nigeria will not be represented at
>         Wikimania. I don't think this is a good idea and I wonder why
>         American
>         and European countries have more representative than Africa. This is
>         demoralizing and the community is not happy about it.
>
>         Warmest regards,
>
>         Olatunde Isaac,
>         Manager, Wikipedia Education Program Nigeria
>         Coordinator, The Wikipedia Library, Yoruba.
>         Secretary, Wikimedia User Group Nigeria.
>         Phone: +2348166620737
>         Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         User page: Wikicology
>         Facebook: Olatunde Olalekan Isaac.
>         Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

I think what we're looking for is probably not online yet.

I've personally gone following these values and trying to get a tally for them. It was a dead end. I thought maybe my search-fu skills weren't good so didn't bother.

That 75% nicely phrased sentence probably has been in every year's criteria outline, BUT, I doubt it's ever been met.

The global south that gets more percentage on paper, but smaller percentage in reality, kinda awesome!

Perhaps, there's not been enough applicants to exhaust such a percentage. On the other hand, many Africans probably did or do apply, but duh, it's hard to know the applied:accepted ratio in union with the holy grail 75%.

I tried getting deeper into the actual figures some 3 or 4 years or so ago, and I ended up stopping.

And has there ever been any official explanation relating to such values? As in, if the 75% is not met, is there any document explaining what happened?

I've gone down this witch-hunt road before and I came back with nothing but sore eyes and weakened muscles. It's a long stretch.

It's Wikimania, isn't it? 😕😕

On 11 Mar 2016 4:07 pm, "Florence Devouard" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for pointing out that the reporting about Wikimania tends to be... full of holes :)

Digging, I found this: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars/2015_Outcomes

Which is... well... incomplete.

And the category
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimania_scholarships
is obviously... not complete either.

So, rephrasing....

I would find interesting to know which countries were attributed the scholarships in 2016.

        *From: * Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>
        *Date: *Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:30:07 +0000
        *To: *<[hidden email]>; Wikimania general list (open
        subscription)<[hidden email]>
        *Subject: *Re: [Wikimania-l] Community Village and Meetups at
        Wikimania 2016

[...]

My understanding of Wikimania Scholarship program is that Full scholarships are subject to quotas, while there is usually no geographical or linguistic limit to partial scholarships.
However, final approval for Full Scholarships is based on the applicant's home country, each applicant will be categorized as either a Global North or Global South applicant, with the total number of scholarships distributed between the Global North and Global South being set at 25% and 75% respectively.

The Global South includes Asia (with the exception of Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan), Turkey, Central America, South America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East (with the exception of Israel). If 124 scholarship was awarded, and 75% is expected to be awarded for global south, it means, 93 Wikimedians are expected to get the scholarship from these region. Since global south consists of Turkey, Central America, South America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East, then no fewer than 15 Wikimedians are expected to get scholarship from Africa. Unless I'm missing something. If only 4 Wikimedians got scholarship from Africa, where are the 89 scholarships?

Warmest regards,

Olatunde Isaac.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Re: Breakdown of attribution for scholarships

Frances Di Lauro
PS
The global south also includes Australia (so big and yet so seemingly
insignificant), New Zealand, Melanesia, Micronesia, Polynesia Š

Regards
Frances

On 12/03/2016 7:43 am, "Wikimania-l on behalf of [hidden email]"
<[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>My understanding of Wikimania Scholarship program is that Full
>scholarships are subject to quotas, while there is usually no
>geographical or linguistic limit to partial scholarships.
>However, final approval for Full Scholarships is based on the applicant's
>home country, each applicant will be categorized as either a Global North
>or Global South applicant, with the total number of scholarships
>distributed between the Global North and Global South being set at 25%
>and 75% respectively.
>
>The Global South includes Asia (with the exception of Japan, Hong Kong,
>Macau, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan), Turkey, Central America, South
>America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East (with the exception of
>Israel). If 124 scholarship was awarded, and 75% is expected to be
>awarded for global south, it means, 93 Wikimedians are expected to get
>the scholarship from these region. Since global south consists of Turkey,
>Central America, South America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East, then
>no fewer than 15 Wikimedians are expected to get scholarship from Africa.
>Unless I'm missing something. If only 4 Wikimedians got scholarship from
>Africa, where are the 89 scholarships?
>
>Warmest regards,
>
>Olatunde Isaac.
>Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Asaf Bartov-2
On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Frances Di Lauro <[hidden email]> wrote:
PS
The global south also includes Australia (so big and yet so seemingly
insignificant), New Zealand, Melanesia, Micronesia, Polynesia Š

That is incorrect.  The definition used so far by the Wikimedia Foundation, and specifically in the context of the scholarships, is listed here:

(I will soon be publishing a different -- and I think more appropriate to the Wikimedian context -- distinction, but for now, the above is the definition used by WMF.)

   A.
--
    Asaf Bartov
    Wikimedia Foundation

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

[hidden email]> wrote:

>My understanding of Wikimania Scholarship program is that Full
>scholarships are subject to quotas, while there is usually no
>geographical or linguistic limit to partial scholarships.
>However, final approval for Full Scholarships is based on the applicant's
>home country, each applicant will be categorized as either a Global North
>or Global South applicant, with the total number of scholarships
>distributed between the Global North and Global South being set at 25%
>and 75% respectively.
>
>The Global South includes Asia (with the exception of Japan, Hong Kong,
>Macau, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan), Turkey, Central America, South
>America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East (with the exception of
>Israel). If 124 scholarship was awarded, and 75% is expected to be
>awarded for global south, it means, 93 Wikimedians are expected to get
>the scholarship from these region. Since global south consists of Turkey,
>Central America, South America, Mexico, Africa, and the Middle East, then
>no fewer than 15 Wikimedians are expected to get scholarship from Africa.
>Unless I'm missing something. If only 4 Wikimedians got scholarship from
>Africa, where are the 89 scholarships?
>
>Warmest regards,
>
>Olatunde Isaac.
>Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Yes, thank you, I see it now. I thought it was geographical but it's about
development.

On 12/03/2016 8:01 am, "[hidden email]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm not sure this is correct, Frances Di Lauro. See:
>https://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_South
>
>Best,
>
>Isaac.
>Sent from my BlackBerry(R) wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Gnangarra
Olatunde raises a significant issue in that call for communities to participate in the community village is demoralising if communities dont have the opportunity to attend the event which is suppose to be bringing everyone together.   We have the underlying principle of sharing the sum  of all knowledge, if we dont do it internally then we cant do it successfully externally.

As for the response the process for Wikimania has been changed, in Mexico last year a decision was taken with many communities unaware and excluded from the discussion because they didnt have anyone there. With Wikmania being every 2 years its becomes more significant that all communities have representatives attend every wikimania otherwise it ends up isolating communities for 4 years from the whole of the movement.    The scholarship process is also broken and its needs to be discussed it needs to be reconsidered to allow for the changes.

On 11 March 2016 at 23:01, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: Community Village and Meetups at Wikimania 2016

Nkansah Rexford
Your point is well noted.

"I also invite you to think about what else might be done to support and promote the creation and sharing of free knowledge in Africa, beyond awarding a few more scholarships to Africans.  I remind you that the Wikimedia Foundation is eager to support mission-aligned work, including experimentation, through the various grants programs[1], and that there is a wealth of written materials about program design and best practices[2][3][4], for African volunteers motivated to do more programmatic work in Africa.

If you would take me up on this invitation, I would love to hear your thoughts on work in Africa, beyond Wikimania scholarships.

   A.

"
Perhaps we can come together to brainstorm of ways to improve the system?

From: Nkansah Rexford <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;nkansahrexford@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">nkansahrexford@...>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:30:07 +0000

Email: <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;reachout2isaac@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">reachout2isaac@...
User page: Wikicology
Facebook: Olatunde Olalekan Isaac.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Re: Breakdown of attribution for scholarships

Lodewijk
Hi Isaac,
running such statistics is always a bit tricky. You make lots of assumptions. One being that the number of serious applications is distributed in a certain way. As I understand it, the quality of the application also plays a role, which can definitely impact distribution between countries. Fact is, that there is right now simply not enough information to draw conclusions.

Also please note that many many scholarships are actually distributed through chapters - which gives even an odder distribution across countries, letting applicants in some countries benefit over the fact that there is an active office in their country that can run a budget of sufficient size. Some chapters try to compensate for that by also allowing applicants from a selection of other countries (like Poland does). So for a real analysis, one should include all these too.

Lodewijk

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Lodewijk,

You might be right but I don't see where it was published that scholarships are actually distributed through chapters. Even if that's the case, did Turkey, Central America, South America, Mexico, and the Middle East have multiple chapters? Why did Wikimedia ZA got one full and one partial scholarships? In what ratio were the scholarship shared? What is the distribution formulae? Sincerely, the sharing formulae remain a mystery to me.